HELP!! Mariner or CCL Splendor - ???

We LOVE RCCL. Just sailed on the Indy and had a great time. We have been to most of the Caribbean ports (some of them several times) and would love to try something new. We are visiting family in Santa Barbara in June and are considering a Mexican Riviera cruise. Should we stick w/ what we love or try something new?

My DH is a stickler on "new" ... hence the Indy. Will the Mariner seem too "old?" The Splendor is new .... so ???

Please help and give your RCCL vs CCL opinions!

THX :o

I would recommend the Mariner all the way. We were on the Mariner in December 08 and will be sailing on her again in about a month. The ship was in wonderful shape and she definitely did not show her age at all. Also the crew on board was superb. You could certainly tell the Mariner was well taken care of.

we just came off Mariner and it was one of our favorite cruises ever. Crew and staff are terrific and the ship is absolutely spotless. But no, it isn't "new", so if that's a dealbreaker then have fun on Splendor!

Just off Mariner, and was on her in 2005 as well. IMO, the ship looks exactly the same if not better than 05'.

I have not been on Splendor, or any Carnival cruise ship for that matter, but I can tell you that you will love the Mariner and the staff. Captain Per is awesome, as well as the CD Ken Rush. The Promenade on the Mariner is such a great place to stroll, drink, and shop! My favorite place to hang out.

If you book Her, you won't be sorry!!

Happy Cruising :D

As a new RCCL guest who is familiar with concierge cabins on Celebrity and loves to hear about any hidden secrets on great cabin location (bigger balconies etc), what advise can anyone offer on the Mariner as our first cruise on her will be in October.

I've no clue what to even look for or ask for on a RCCL ship.

Just got off the Mariner last Sunday. It was a wonderful cruise. The ship is in great shape and the crew was great. Highly recommend this one. I do have to say, we were all happy to be sailing on the Mariner in Cabo where we had to tender. Our line to board the tender was moving quickly and we had large tender boats. The Carnival line wrapped down the block and moved very slowly in the hot sun. Their tender boats were tiny. I felt very sorry for them.

We just got back from the Mariner almost a week ago and I was so thrilled to finally have a Voyager class ship out West, that I didn't think twice about booking her. Even though I like Carnival food more, I would sail on the Mariner again if the price was comparible in a heartbeat.

Now I might have more problem if I had the choice between her and Sapphire Princess which is doing the same itinerary throughout the spring. In fact, I would definitely sail Sapphire if I had a chance in the next month or so. I loved her smaller sisters, Star and Golden, as I did their even smaller cousin, Sun Princess. But, I digress...:)

Just got off the Mariner last Sunday. It was a wonderful cruise. The ship is in great shape and the crew was great. Highly recommend this one. I do have to say, we were all happy to be sailing on the Mariner in Cabo where we had to tender. Our line to board the tender was moving quickly and we had large tender boats. The Carnival line wrapped down the block and moved very slowly in the hot sun. Their tender boats were tiny. I felt very sorry for them.

As a new RCCL guest who is familiar with concierge cabins on Celebrity and loves to hear about any hidden secrets on great cabin location (bigger balconies etc), what advise can anyone offer on the Mariner as our first cruise on her will be in October.

I've no clue what to even look for or ask for on a RCCL ship.

twobluecats, there is a huge and informative thread about the Mariner. Here is the link to it:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=543966

You can just start reading, or there is a search function at the top of the page to find specific topics.

Archived