Spirit to Bermuda

cookie75

Anyone been on the Spirit lately? We live in Boston and are thinking of doing the Boston to Bermuda trip this summer. However, I have seen some horrible reviews of the Spirit on this site. I want to understand if there's anything to them. I saw a lot of complaints about food and cleanliness. For reference, we were recently on the Pearl, W. Carribbean, and had a great time. No issues with the service or cleanliness. Our room had a few small stains on the carpet, but everything seemed clean, and the public areas were immaculate I thought. The food in the main dining rooms was pretty forgettable, but we loved the buffet. The ship seemed crowded and the chair hogs and teenagers were pretty annoying. Those were really our only complaints, other than disorganized debarkation at every port.

Given that was our experience on the Pearl, how do you think we will like the Spirit? How does it compare to the Pearl? Is the food quality really an issue?

Also, anything you can tell me about Bermuda as a destination would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

My group and I are going the Spirit in June. We are all really looking forward to it. I have seen very mixed reviews on this site so I plan to make my own determiniations... http://maggiecatenjay.wetpaint.com/ The main consensus on the food seems to be "Good, not great."

Anyway, feel free to visit our group's website - there are many pages regarding the Spirit and NCL and quite a few on Bermuda (lots of research). Nothing to sell, though it is a free site and ads beyond my control are sometimes in the margins. I worked especially hard and have many CruiseCritic FAQ 'cut and pastes" on http://maggiecatenjay.wetpaint.com/page/FAQ+%26+A%27S

Hope you decide to cruise and have a great time (been on the Boston to Bermuda NCL Majesty twice and had two GREAT cruises!)

Clare,

Quincy

The Spirit is older and smaller than the Pearl, by no means is she out of date. She has plenty of restaurants and lounges to enjoy freestyle cruising, and a wonderful unique Asian decor unlike any other ship in the American market. Even her carpets are different, not the same NCL stock carpet aboard the rest of NCL's fleet.

While her reviews are over the place, most NCL cruisers have posted positive reviews. Most of her negative reviews are from cruisers who prefer other cruise lines, who don't like open seating and/or speciality surcharged restaurants. This is usually the root cause for most negative reviews of NCL.

And while other ships may have slightly larger balconies, they are large enough to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning. And while other ships may have larger cabins, many also have smaller cabins than the Spirit. If you enjoy NCL you will also enjoy the Spirit.

Since last year's late dry dock, she has been receiving wonderful reviews from her New Orleans cruises to the Western Caribbean. I have no doubt she will receive wonderful reviews from the Boston market as well. Finally New Englanders will be able to enjoy freestyle dining with a Cagneys and Asian restaurants which they didn't have on the Majesty and Dream. Not to mention a better Italian restaurant as well.

I'm heading out on the Norwegian Spirit next month (in just FOUR weeks)!!! I will definitely be writing a review when I return. I love NCL so it'd really have to be bad service in order for me to say the cruise was off. The food is good usually and the ships on NCL are all sisters to each other with the Spirit being the baby sister (her sister grew larger but her exterior design remained the same - shape-wise). Of course I realize her newer sisters have more decks and restaurants but Spirit was the proto-type for it all. :)

I agree that a lot of the reviews seem to be written by people who prefer other cruise lines with more traditional way of doing things. Don't let that get you down. The NCL Spirit is DEFINITELY a step of from the Norwegian Dream that was here last year in Boston. I would definitely go!

We just sailed on the Spirit on March 29th. I've also been on the Pearl, the Jewel (3 times) and the Dawn. I think the Spirit is now my favorite ship. Her decor is absolutely georgeous with its Asian scheme. The staff was just the best. Karan, Herbert, and "Jacob" were so great to us, there were 4 of us. We are going to Bermuda for the first time in October on the Majesty. I would love it if I could go on the Spirit.

Bermuda is many cruisers favorite destination.

The food was good but I don't "live to eat" like some appear to do.

Go and enjoy.

The only ship with a similar decor is her sister, the SuperStar Virgo. The only thing I am worried about is that the longer she is in NCL's fleet her Asian carpets will disappear. But it isn't like NCL's stock carpet is ugly, its just that I do fully enjoy her Asian quirks.

If I was in the Boston area, I wouldn’t hesitate 1 second to book the Spirit. I just love that ship (I prefer it over the Dawn). If I didn’t have a great 14-night cruise booked for the fall, I would definitely do the Canada-New England cruise that goes from Boston to Quebec City (the Qc-Boston-Qc B@B has an AWESOME itinerary) or maybe the Bermuda cruise out of Boston.

Since we are cruising on the Spirit in exactly three weeks, I have been voraciously reading all of the posts about her on these boards and I have to say that I haven't seen an overwhelming number of negative reviews. Most have been extremely positive. I was able to tour this ship last year when it was in Boston and before its most recent drydock and refurbishment, and I failed to notice any lack of cleanliness and the food I sampled was certainly typical of what I have experienced on many of my cruises on other ships and other lines. I think that for some, negative reviews make much more of an impression than positive ones, which might account for someone believing that there have been many negative reviews, but I can't agree and suggest that those who do believe the negatives far outweigh the positives, go back and do an actual count and see how they break out.

When you compare the Spirit to the last two NCL ships that sailed the Boston to Bermuda route, I think you will find that NCL has dramatically upgraded their product. Most people who sailed on the old NCL Majesty out of Boston, returned feeling that they had a wonderful cruise but I think that they will be absolutely thrilled with their experience on the Spirit when they compare the two ships.

I am boarding the Spirit with a positive attitude and I expect to disembark a week later having had a wonderful cruise and a wonderful time in the lovely island of Bermuda.

I don't expect NCL to supplant RCI as my favorite cruiseline but I am sure that my reactions will be far more positive than negative.:)

When you compare the Spirit to the last two NCL ships that sailed the Boston to Bermuda route, I think you will find that NCL has dramatically upgraded their product. Most people who sailed on the old NCL Majesty out of Boston, returned feeling that they had a wonderful cruise but I think that they will be absolutely thrilled with their experience on the Spirit when they compare the two ships.

:)

Hey, just out of curiosity, what makes the Spirit an upgrade over the Majesty out of Boston? A couple people have mentioned that. Thanks!

Much alike the passengers who sail from New Orleans, the Spirit is a huge improvement over the Dream and/or Majesty. While she may not have built with Freestyle cruising in mind, in my opinion she has adapted to Freestyle better than the Sky and Sun.

Because of her Asian birth, one needs a dual voltage hair dryer/adapter with the 220 circuit or use the one provided aboard. Since she was the last ship built for NCL/Star without the small refrigerators in every cabin, one can request one. The stewards refill the ice bucket twice daily, and if you go through a lot of ice, room service will deliver ice much like the Dream and Majesty.

While there may have been more negative reviews from home ports that also serve Star and Jewel class Panamax sized vessels, the reviews were mostly positive. While the Dawn may rate a 10 out of 10, the Spirit rated a 9.

Anyone that enjoyed older NCL ships will enjoy the Spirit as well if not more. She is an wonderful unique ship in her own right.

Hey, just out of curiosity, what makes the Spirit an upgrade over the Majesty out of Boston? A couple people have mentioned that. Thanks!

It is a much newer ship than the NCL Majesty which was originally the Royal Majesty of the now defunct Majesty Cruise Lines. There are significantly more eating, drinking and entertainment venues onboard the Spirit. Majesty was not designed for Freestyle Cruising and Dining. It has no Asian restaurant, no Cagney's steakhouse, no Pub and no Blue Lagoon casual eatery Service and the esprit de corps of the staff was, however, excellent and guests usually came away feeling that they had a wonderful cruise. I think that part of her popularity, however, was due not only to the service that the staff provided but also to the convenience of being able to sail out of Boston and not having to fly to Florida ports to begin and end their cruise. If you sailed on Majesty and enjoyed it and NCL cruising in general I believe you will view your Spirit experience with even greater enthusiasm.:)

Simply, the Norwegian Spirit (ex-Superstar Leo) was the first cruise ship built with so many restaurants. The Spirit (ex-Leo) was built for Star Cruises two years before Star Cruises bought NCL, after which NCL started the Freestyle Cruising concept at Star Cruises insistence. Therefore, the Norwegian Spirit was the original prototype design of what we now call a Freestyle Cruising ship.

That's why it was so easy for NCL to lease and eventually buy the Superstar Leo in early 2004, after the Pride of America flooding in dry dock delayed operations over a year, at the same time when NCL was desperate to initiate NCLA.

Many forget the Norwegian Star and Norwegian Dawn were originally ordered by Star Cruises to sail for Star Cruises specifically, and they were considered NCL Freestyle Cruising ships from very first day upon christening into NCL's fleet.

For proof, all you have to do is look for a cabin with a number 4 on any other deck besides deck 4 on these three ships.

Never been on the Pearl but sailed on the Majesty last June & was on Spirit last week. The Spirit is a very nice ship. Never noticed issues w/ cleanliness, except a couple blurry windows here & there. Our bathrooms were very clean, too, & I really liked the sliding door on the shower stalls rather than the blowing/wrapping curtain.

I'm a vegetarian & found the food exactly the same on Spirirt as Majesty ... it was VERY good. Dh was happy w/ all his food, too (not a veg). We did have a few instance of extremely slow service in the Garden & Windows ... & mess-ups of our order. We thought Raffles was very good.

I definitley preferred the Spirit over the Majesty. She's just bigger & so has more spaces to explore.

I would not hesitate at all to take the Spirit to Bermuda, esp if you live right there!

We sailed on the Spirit last April and will be doing the July 3rd Boston to Bermuda. The Spirit is a great ship and i was thrilled when i got off last year and found out it was coming to Boston. We have done this trip 3 times and Boston needed a new ship. I think you will be very happy if you book.

I am sooooo looking forward to the Spirit. The pictures are incredible and I can't wait to do my usual exploring. We got an inside for the first time. In researching I found there are a few LARGER (175-200 sq ft) insides on the Spirit. She will definitely be a welcome change from the Majesty (just my opinion but not my favorite ship). Now they just have to work on Black Falcon Terminal. :D

We want to try Teppanyaki. Who has tried it and how was it? TYI

Recent reviews, since March, of Norwegian Spirit by cruise critic members.

1) TONS of SUN, FUN- Sad it's DONE!! by Litehouse9 04/09 (5 Stars)

2) Go with the flow by easygoinggal 04/09 (4 Stars)

3) Great Vitamin D vacation by Depoedonna 04/09 (5 Stars)

4) OK cruise....but don't expect to be 'wowed by dutchlove 04/09 (4 Stars)

5) Disappointed! by dcat2 03/09 (2 Stars)

6) Family Fun on the Spirit by AAA by_cruiser 03/09 (5+ Stars)

7) NOLA Spirit by echoes by _sdn 03/09 (5+ Stars)

8) Spirit cruise - take two by paulgduck 03/09 (5 Stars)

9) Wonderful Vacation! by SoccerMom9195 03/09 (4 Stars)

10) Perfect Week of Spirit by mtrue1174 03/09 (5 Stars)

11) Cruising in a Penthouse Suite by RNisPhD 03/09 (5+ Stars)

12) Freestyle Cruising Is Anything But Free! by Disappointed1 03/09 (2 Stars)

13) Fun Cruise by cruzanstcroix 03/09 (5 stars)

14) Loads of Fun on the Spirit for Spring Break! by silverfish 03/09 (5 Stars)

15) Loved the NCL Spirit for Spring Break! by newbiecruiserandhooked 03/09 (4 Stars)

16) GREAT TIME ON THE SPIRIT by Whitehouse 03/09 (5 Stars)

17) Let the good times roll on the Spirit by Sherrjay 03/09 (5 Stars)

18) The Best of Mardi gras was sailing away on the Spirit!

by tammlynn 03/09 (4 Stars)

Just two out of eighteen (11%) were bad reviews. That means sixteen out of eighteen (89%) were good reviews. Reviewing the two bad reviews, the main reason why were cabin problems. One had extremely dirty (stained) tile in the bathroom, the other had loud chipping noises from the cabin above as the crew was replacing tile. :)

my dh and i are thinking of a 25th anniv cruise next may on the spirit from boston. this will be his first cruise and my second. i have heard the seas can be choppy on this route and the smaller size of the ship can make it a bit rockier (*gulp*). if you have sailed the spirit from boston to bermuda before, what do you think?

my dh and i are thinking of a 25th anniv cruise next may on the spirit from boston. this will be his first cruise and my second. i have heard the seas can be choppy on this route and the smaller size of the ship can make it a bit rockier (*gulp*). if you have sailed the spirit from boston to bermuda before, what do you think?

Whereas the Spirit is smaller than most of NCL cruise ships, it's almost 76,000 gross tons is almost twice as large as the Majesty's 40,000 gross tons. To add, the much smaller Majesty has been sailing to Bermuda from Boston very successfully since 1992.

To summarize, I wouldn't worry too much about rough seas.

On every cruise I plan for the worst and pray for the best. Rough seas and storms at sea can happen anywhere. Bring the sea sick pills just in case, and pray you won't need them. You can't go wrong choosing either ship. In my mind the main difference is choosing whether to drive and park in Boston or New York.

Spirit has not yet begun to sail from Boston to Bermuda so no one has any experiences to relate. However, the ship is newer and larger than the Majesty which did this route for so many years and Spirit will not be any more prone to movement in high seas than most other ships. If you consider how vast the ocean is and how relatively tiny even the largest megaliners are, rough seas, if they are going to be a problem will be regardless of the size of the ship you are sailing on. They are usually well-stabilized, however, and chances are you will not encounter serious problems. There are no guarantees and you pretty much have to be willing to accept what you find, but I wouldn't be overly concerned especially since you really have no control over the situation. Take whatever preventative measures are available to you and hope for the best. :)

We sail on the Spirit from Boston in three weeks, four days, but who's counting? For us preventative measures are Bonine taken when we get onboard. We sailed Carnival Miracle from N.Y. last year and it can get rough for the first day, both coming and going, but really nothing to worry about. This will be cruise #24 and it will be great to take a short drive to Boston rather than a long drive or flying. Parking in N.Y. for the week was $240 and I think parking in Boston is $105. We haven't been to Bermuda for 19 years and can't wait to start packing.

Archived