Do you need Malaria Vaccine for Belieze, need excursions ideas

gam888

Going to Belize for one day in August with Carnival Legend. Do you need any Malaria vaccine before going? I heard that there might be some kind of Malaria medicine you can take but not necessary an injection? Also need excursion suggestions for a family with 3 teens if we don't want to do zipline or cave tubing. Considering Altun Ha and city tour with Carnival, or snorkeling somewhere, where is a good spot with a non swimmer in the family?

Going to Belize for one day in August with Carnival Legend. Do you need any Malaria vaccine before going? I heard that there might be some kind of Malaria medicine you can take but not necessary an injection? Also need excursion suggestions for a family with 3 teens if we don't want to do zipline or cave tubing. Considering Altun Ha and city tour with Carnival, or snorkeling somewhere, where is a good spot with a non swimmer in the family?

The mosquito that carries malaria is active at night. Are you going to be there at night?

I have never heard that you need a malaria vaccine to go to Belize.........we were there two years ago, and were not advised that we should have one. However, my brother-in-law, who donates blood on a regular basis was banned from donating blood for one year, when he casually mentioned at the clinic that he had just come back from a cruise that had a stop in a jungle area. The minute he said the word "jungle", off came the equipment and he was sent home,and told not to donate again until a year had passed.

Too bad your teens aren't interested in the cave-tubing. I'm a non-swimmer and I had a blast!

We have traveled all over the world and the only place that we have been advised to take a Malaria prophylactic was south central Africa. We went to Lamanai in Belize and there were some mosquitoes, but we used repellant and did not have any problems. (I am not a Dr. but, I have never heard of a Malaria vaccine - only prophylactics - pills you take either once a week or once a day - depending upon they Rx.)

I have never heard that you need a malaria vaccine to go to Belize.........we were there two years ago, and were not advised that we should have one. However, my brother-in-law, who donates blood on a regular basis was banned from donating blood for one year, when he casually mentioned at the clinic that he had just come back from a cruise that had a stop in a jungle area. The minute he said the word "jungle", off came the equipment and he was sent home,and told not to donate again until a year had passed.

Too bad your teens aren't interested in the cave-tubing. I'm a non-swimmer and I had a blast!

Just s quick note about our experiences re: donating blood. When we have used Malaria prophylactics we were not permitted to donate. I guess either way, you might not be able to donate for a year.

Archived