4/11-4/18 NCL Gem disappointed VERY LONG

extremez

• Administrators
wow, did I hit a nerve or something?

Obviously I didn't "do my homework" before sailing this ship. Maybe if I had seen CC.com earlier I could have been better prepared and knew what to expect.

Maybe I confused the age of the ship with the time since it's been sailing out of NYC. Not sure.

Let me rephrase. Housekeeping didn't earn their part of the $36 daily fee. Does that make it better? The toilet paper was excellent also, I should note.

Even after looking through NCL's website through the suites section, I still see nothing about priority reservations and besides that wasn't that big of a deal.

Apparently you missed my other posts about actually having a good time even through the little things.

Maybe next time you should read the entire topic before jumping straight to the last page to bash. Unless you have any tips, feel free not to reply.

This is the internet. :) It's by no means unusual for someone not to take the time to read 2-3, or 10-20, pages before firing off a quickie message board response. The art of sharing and obtaining useful information on the web is not to take that stuff personally. ;)

It's good you posted here and learned about cost-saving ways to book cruises. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience on the Gem, and hope your next cruise is more to your satisfaction. Welcome to CC -- if you like cruising (on any line) this website will be your best friend.

Obviously I didn't "do my homework" before sailing this ship. Maybe if I had seen CC.com earlier I could have been better prepared and knew what to expect.

Maybe I confused the age of the ship with the time since it's been sailing out of NYC. Not sure.

Let me rephrase. Housekeeping didn't earn their part of the $36 daily fee. Does that make it better? The toilet paper was excellent also, I should note.

Even after looking through NCL's website through the suites section, I still see nothing about priority reservations and besides that wasn't that big of a deal.

Apparently you missed my other posts about actually having a good time even through the little things.

Maybe next time you should read the entire topic before jumping straight to the last page to bash. Unless you have any tips, feel free not to reply.

extremez- welcome to Cruisecritic! It may drive you CRAZY sometimes but it is helpful and a great way to pass the time- and think about vacations :). Just ignore anything provocative and focus on the positive things people say- and the requests for info. Believe me, most of us want to read the negative reviews as much as (or more than) the glowing reviews. And many, many people "lurk" and don't post until... they have something to say. Your post count, or anyone else's post count, means NOTHING. I'm always glad to see someone new on here. So- welcome ;).

I'll tell you what...for this reason and this reason alone, I stay away from commenting on boards like this. I have been a quiet lurker on cc boards for a long time....years in fact, to get information before I cruise. The amount of bashing that goes on on these boards when someone doesn't like the fact that someones cruise experience isn't as grand as yours have always been, is pure immature and down right dirty. I have been on many cruises on many lines and they have not all been perfect cruises people. Your going to tell me that on every cruise you have taken, there has not been a single thing that has irritated you????? If so, then your the ones lying. It must get exhausting being perfect. I do believe that you make the best of your trip and yes things will go wrong, but if we sugar coat every cruise, we are not doing new people justice here on the boards. And if you all keep bashing and "investigating" peoples comments, who would want to be a part of your cc roll calls and discussion boards in the future. Be helpful, your negativity is no different from the person who wrote the negative review in the first place.........enough said!!!!!!

Well said.

I just sailed the Gem in March of this year. We had a great cruise and I am very sorry that you had some problems. Luckily you are willing to give crusing another chance, good decision. Take advantage of Cruise Critic the information is invaluable. We booked the Gem for next year once again in March. You are 100% correct they do not list the perks for the suites. We got a good military rate and decided to book an AE penthouse. I asked to be sent the perks associated with the suites and my NCL rep did e mail them to me, then I did some additional research on Cruise Critic or I would have never known what I was missing. Granted it is a little more expensive, but not to the extreme. To me I think it will be worth it. People who decide not to get suites should not be upset with those who do, afterall we have decided to pay more for one and deserve the perks associated. Next time you cruise shop look for some specials like Military rates, past cruiser rates, also as you get closer to the cruise they reduce the price of cabins to fill the ship. Hope your next experience is a better one.

I had a wonderful time...but...and i am NOT complaining as any day at sea is ok with me...this was my fifth NCL cruise and it felt a little lacking...i thought instead of complaining on boards or to other passengers, i would go right to the source and spoke to the cruise consultant on board. I said, "don't get me wrong, I LOVE NCL (and was in the process of taking advantage of the book your next cruise deal on board) but it feels a little short staffed this cruise is it?" He replied that it is always hectic on the Easter week cruise out of NY and that while the ship usually has about 2,300 passengers with 50 being kids, this sailing had almost 3,000 passengers and 900 were kids so it was tough for the staff to meet all expectations. That being said, i sat back, relaxed and just appreciated it for what it was. And I was EXTRA kind to the staff knowing how hard it is to be overworked and underpaid. ;)

I had a wonderful time...but...and i am NOT complaining as any day at sea is ok with me...this was my fifth NCL cruise and it felt a little lacking...i thought instead of complaining on boards or to other passengers, i would go right to the source and spoke to the cruise consultant on board. I said, "don't get me wrong, I LOVE NCL (and was in the process of taking advantage of the book your next cruise deal on board) but it feels a little short staffed this cruise is it?" He replied that it is always hectic on the Easter week cruise out of NY and that while the ship usually has about 2,300 passengers with 50 being kids, this sailing had almost 3,000 passengers and 900 were kids so it was tough for the staff to meet all expectations. That being said, i sat back, relaxed and just appreciated it for what it was. And I was EXTRA kind to the staff knowing how hard it is to be overworked and underpaid. ;)

if there were 3000 on board someone should tell the coast guard that is beyond its certified capacity

http://www.americandiscountcruises.com/cruise_ships/norwegian_gem.html

It would be like taking the cruise critic threads with you.

Dawn

LOL--I actually make "cheat sheets" of all the great advice I have gotten from Cruise Critic (and Trip Advisor, and anything else I can find on the web).

I have to say that it was IMMENSELY helpful on my first cruise last summer.

I was able to do the GEM's mediterranean excursion all on my own--saving a bundle--thanks to the GREAT advice I received on Cruise Critic.:)

I have a question about your dinner reservation cancellation on 4/15.

Now, if there was another group with the same last name that cancelled their reservation, and they cancelled yours instead, wouldn't there reservation still be open? Couldn't they give you their table, since they clearly weren't coming by for a bite to eat?

Maybe the other group with the same last name were booked for another time. And Teppanyaki isn't a table. It's like a Benihana's. Everyone sits along a counter and watches the chef cook.

Perhaps you should have titled your thread something like "a good time but there were a few little things" rather than "disappointed." All other reviews of this cruise I've read have been very positive. Why turn others off to Gem unnecessarily because of a misunderstanding on your part about specialty restaurant reservations?

if there were 3000 on board someone should tell the coast guard that is beyond its certified capacity

http://www.americandiscountcruises.com/cruise_ships/norwegian_gem.html

Actually smeyer, he is probably more correct than you/your source.

Per Fodors, the number of cabins for Gem is 1,197. Two per cabin brings the "full" capacity to 2,394. Add 900 kiddies in 'extra' beds and the passenger count would exceed 3,000. As these extra beds are accounted for, they would meet the Coast Guard's capacity.

Folks in "suites" get to make reservations for the entire week. So do your homework.

Most people are comfortable with a slow relaxing dinner so in future tell your waiter that you want to be out by a certain time.

Housekeeping doesn't earn $36 a day so do your homeowrk to see how the tip pool is divided up.

The Gem has been sailing longer than you have stated, again you need to do so homework.

Frankly I have read enough of your negative comments and nit picking at every possible thing you could find. I'm surprised you haven't complained about the toilet paper being put on the roller the wrong way.

I suggest you cash in your cruise reward and find another cruise line to tear apart.

Talk about snarky comments, and from someone with [allegedly] four posts! Why do I think you created a new identity just to be snotty.

Actually smeyer, he is probably more correct than you/your source.

Per Fodors, the number of cabins for Gem is 1,197. Two per cabin brings the "full" capacity to 2,394. Add 900 kiddies in 'extra' beds and the passenger count would exceed 3,000. As these extra beds are accounted for, they would meet the Coast Guard's capacity.

rarely is full more than 125% of the lower berths. There is on the deck by the elevator where the bridge is on a license that shows how much full is. I seem to remember that it was in the 2600 range but didn't snap a picture. Also are you sure about the 1197? But it did sound pretty full anyway.

rarely is full more than 125% of the lower berths. There is on the deck by the elevator where the bridge is on a license that shows how much full is. I seem to remember that it was in the 2600 range but didn't snap a picture. Also are you sure about the 1197? But it did sound pretty full anyway.

smeyer. Actually I have seen various (albeit similar) numbers. Your source puts the cabins at 1233, another cruiseclues puts it at 1174, Fodors at 1197. (Interestingly the NCL website does not list the number of cabins . . as far as I could tell).

Roughly speaking then it is 1200 cabins . . . . . . . 2400 passengers (@ 2 per cabin). Lots of cabins with extra sleeping accomodations . . . . . so 3,000 is not an unreasonable amount. Even with your 125% figure.

Just to jump in here for a moment....The Gem cannot hold 3000 people. Its a fact and leave it at that(not that important anyway)....Suite Pax can and do book specialty restaurants for the whole week...Thats what we pay for;)....If the OP payed 9000 INCLUDING whatever, then I got a great deal on my Penthouse suite a year ago.....A strip steak does have a nice size "strip" of fat on it(Im a chef I hope I should know this)....The Gem has been in service for MORE than a year now not less....If the bathroom wasnt up to par for the OP, I will buy that.....bad room steward that happens.....

I hope your next cruise on another line will be cheaper for u and better, I guess.....:rolleyes:

smeyer. Actually I have seen various (albeit similar) numbers. Your source puts the cabins at 1233, another cruiseclues puts it at 1174, Fodors at 1197. (Interestingly the NCL website does not list the number of cabins . . as far as I could tell).

Roughly speaking then it is 1200 cabins . . . . . . . 2400 passengers (@ 2 per cabin). Lots of cabins with extra sleeping accomodations . . . . . so 3,000 is not an unreasonable amount. Even with your 125% figure.

Length: 971 Feet

Guests: 2226 to 2252

Tons: 91,000 to 92,000

Straight from the HORSES MOUTH!

Length: 971 Feet

Guests: 2226 to 2252

Tons: 91,000 to 92,000

Straight from the HORSES MOUTH!

Not so sure which end of the Horse gave you the information, but it or they or you are wrong. There are approximately 1200 cabins of various categories on the Gem. Each cabin is designed to hold a minimum of 2 passengers. HOWEVER, a quick and cursory glance of the deck plans for reveals that many, many of these 1200 cabins are designed to accomodate 3, 4 or even 5 passengers. If the ship were to sail with ALL of these beds filled, it would indeed sail with about 3,000 passengers PLUS crew on board.

But, you are right, it is

(not that important anyway)

unless someone is using the argument to discredit a comment made by a poster, such as you were doing.

Not so sure which end of the Horse gave you the information, but it or they or you are wrong. There are approximately 1200 cabins of various categories on the Gem. Each cabin is designed to hold a minimum of 2 passengers. HOWEVER, a quick and cursory glance of the deck plans for reveals that many, many of these 1200 cabins are designed to accomodate 3, 4 or even 5 passengers. If the ship were to sail with ALL of these beds filled, it would indeed sail with about 3,000 passengers PLUS crew on board.

unless someone is using the argument to discredit a comment made by a poster, such as you were doing.

no one argues it wasn't crowded: it was. But you can't fill every room with 3, 4 and 5's there is an actual finite limit that is on the ships license. That limit is on the license and from memory it is a max of about 2600(actually I think it was 2690). But whether there was an slight exaggeration or not, spring break is when the ships are the most crowded and when they are full whether that is 2600 or 3000 service suffers.

I'm really disappointed at how everyone has attacked extremez for his review and opinions. They are his opinions. If this is to be a "fair" forum, we should all be open to what others have to say, even if we don't agree. You can tell he isn't just a "one-time hit the board with a horrible review and run" poster so why is everyone so defensive? Geesh. I, for one, appreciate ALL feedback, good or bad as I can make my own decisions. And I probably won't post a trip report unless I have good things to say because I don't want to be personally attacked for my view of my experience. Thanks for your trip report, extremez! :)

The Horses Mouth was NCL website but maybe they dont know...:eek:

I'm really disappointed at how everyone has attacked extremez for his review and opinions. They are his opinions. If this is to be a "fair" forum, we should all be open to what others have to say, even if we don't agree. You can tell he isn't just a "one-time hit the board with a horrible review and run" poster so why is everyone so defensive? Geesh. I, for one, appreciate ALL feedback, good or bad as I can make my own decisions. And I probably won't post a trip report unless I have good things to say because I don't want to be personally attacked for my view of my experience. Thanks for your trip report, extremez! :)

I 100% agree with you - take the good with the bad and vice versa. I am sailing the Gem in March 2010 if someone has a bad review that does not mean I will cancel/change my cruise. I do read the bad reviews so I know what not to do or what to expect. I do not think his review was that bad, but it is his review - his own personal oppinion.

Usually the more fat is a sign of a better choice. The more fat the better.

hmmm. I think I'll tell my SIL that the next time she complains about body fat. Think it'll work?

You could have called in the reservations and not have waited in line to make reservations, or could have came back later when the line vanished. Why does everyone feel they have to join the cattle lines? Didn't you learn from your last cruise to avoid the cattle lines by waiting half an hour?

maybe it's the more fat on the steak thing?

Just got back from our 2nd sailing with NCL aboard the Gem. Our first sailing was aboard the Spirit last year for our honeymoon. We liked it so much we came back for more, except this time wasn't as nice.

4/11 - First disappointment was while waiting in line to make reservations, we overheard the folks in front of us make reservations for several specialty restaurants for the entire week. Something that isn't allowed. Well, when it was our turn we didn't get that special treatment. Went to Magenta for dinner. Food was great but the staff seemed confused and wandering around like it was their first day on the job.

4/12 - Sea day. Lattitudes party was fun. We made a deposit on our 3rd cruise. We got the spa package for the week. I got talked into overpriced spa and detox products that will hopefully work. Ate dinner at La Cuccina. Food was great but the service was slow. Last year they were picking up your empty plate and setting down the next plate. I had to leave the table early before I could get dessert to make my spa appointment and then ended up missing that nights show.

4/13 - Port Canaveral. Airboat and pontoon boat dolphin and manatee encounter was pretty fun. Cagneys for dinner. Good food but my strip steak was fattier than a normal strip steak.

4/14 - Great Stirrup Cay. Parasailing was cancelled due to wind. I'm glad we were on the 1st tender over so we could actually get some chairs. 3 other guests of ours weren't as lucky. They finally made it over on the 4th or 5th tender almost 2 hours later. It took several hours to get everyone over to the island. WAY TOO CROWDED!!! Terrible tendering. Snorkeling was the highlight of the day. Buffet for dinner.

4/15 - Nassau. See & Sea. Nice underwater viewing of fish and coral. Then a trip through the beautiful (not) city of Nassau. A bus tour through the poverty areas. At least we got to walk the streets for a few hours and get Starbucks and new Del Sol shirts.

Dinner - We arrived at Tappenyaki at 8:00 to find our reservation was mysterioulsy cancelled. Turns out a group with the same last name had called to cancel and they didn't confirm the room number and we ended up getting bumped. So to make us feel better, they offered us the Orchid Garden and a Friday reservation for Teppanyaki. So 2 sets of cover charges for their screw up. I flipped and after voicing my frustration they offered to get us right into the Grand Pacific. Great dinner with awesome service and a free drink for the mistake and apologees from the restaurant manager. Too bad I had to be a jerk to get the best treatment of the entire week.

4/16 - Freeport. Another wonderful scenic city tour. WOW. Let me say that again WOW!!! We did the Beaches and Caves. Unless you're a diver the "caves" are a joke. A spiral set of stairs down to a pool of water to look at some bats. And another "cave" with a platform to look around at a pool of water. The beach portion was nice though with a couple dolphins swimming around within 20 ft or so and some rays swimming around the shore. Dinner was room service and Blue Lagoon.

4/17 - Sea Day. Spent some time at the spa(the spa pool was drained, maybe because of the waves) Relaxed all day. Dinner was Tappenyaki. Food was good but the show was weak. We get much more entertainment at our local Habachi restaurant for the same price. IMHO not worth the $25 per person cover charge.

Housekepping didn't earn their $36 daily fee. They didn't clean the bathroom once. It was the same old seal and bunny towel creations as last year.

For a ship less than a year in service it wasn't in that great of shape. At least our balcony room wasn't. The balcony door trim was falling out. I fixed that. The door wouldn't shut and lock without using the child safety latch. That woke us up in the middle of the night slamming open and closed. The TV was crap flashing green all through the nightly news.

We didn't care for the seating layout of the Theatre. Some spots it was difficult to see the entire stage. The shows were good. We love watching the Second City. Jane L Powell was the singing act and she was very good. Typical dancing crew barely clothed and Bob the magician with the usual tricks.

We hated the atrium of the Gem. With the Spirit you walked in and looked all the way to the top level with the elevators and mirrored walls. The Gem, you walked in and saw a ceiling with fake purple crystals sticking out. We couldn't really catch our bearings on this ship.

We were a little upset that there is only 5 restaurants without cover charge. Not much of a choice between burgers, buffet, a few decent plates or waiting for the main dining rooms.

Do you have to sit outside all day or wait till the night to get a photo taken? Last year it seemed like every corner you turned they were taking a picture.

No arts and crafts activities or technical seminars.

As Lattitudes members all we recieved was a couple pins, express boarding which was slightly shorter than the regular line and $50 off our tickets. Not exactly incentive to come back.

For almost $9,000 for 2 adults and a child, we don't feel that the Gem was worth this amount of money.

I'm a little weary of using this deposit with this line. I do know that it won't be spent on the Gem again.

On a positive note the crew and staff are always friendly whenever you see them.

Happy Happy!, Smiley Smiley!

Too bad some very legitimate complaints were lost in a fog of confusion and a rather odd attitude.

Strictly my opinion (which I (like the OP) have a perfect right to post):

Legitimate complaints:

Teppanaki mess - I know I would have been annoyed too. This should have been better handled without OP having to resort to a scene.

Bathroom not being cleaned - NEVER acceptable. I assume OP complained to Housekeeping department

Balcony door latch. Once again I assume OP complained to maintenance.

Legitimate opinions: (I might disagree but OP is perfectly entitled to feel this way (in my opinion)):

any dining issues (food, slowness etc)

any entertainment dislikes, lack of seminars

latitude perks or lack thereof ( I personally really don't care but obviously OP does)

decor of ship (personally I just don't get excited about this but I know some people do)

Great Stirrp Cay - some people like it some people don't

So OP had 3 very real complaints (Two I consider serious (my opinion)) and some things he did not care for and some things he liked - so far so good.

Now comes the part I found confusing and irritating (my opinion). Obviously the OP felt this was an appropriate way to make his feelings on certain things known.

1. The initial $9000 cruise cost figure (initially NOT explained as his total vacation costs until some posters questioned it). Why not just say - this vacation cost me in total $9000 (or just a lot of money) and I wish I had spent it elsewhere rather than saying that THE GEM was not worth $9000. One balcony cabin for 3 people on THE GEM did not cost $9000, THE VACATION did for 5 people (at least that is what I think it did after reading the OPs follow-up posts). OK I am finicky about accuracy and some might not find this annoying but I did.

2. "Housekeeping did not earn their $36 daily fee" - $36 daily fee is totally inaccurate but once again not corrected until other posters pointed this out. Why not just say HK did not earn their portion of the service charge rather than toss out an inaccurate figure. OP seems to have a thing for throwing out inaccurate figures and then wonders why he is questioned on them. This was especially annoying since OP HAD a very legitimate complaint about HK - so why taint it with unnecessary inaccurate stuff???

Frankly it just really bugs me when posters cannot make a point without being wildly inaccurate. It really lowers my opinion of a review. To give OP credit, he did clarify these points later on in the thread. BUT why confuse (and annoy) people in the first place.

The other thing I take issue with simply because I disagree (OP is entitled to his opinion) is his complaint that it is somehow wrong that suites get the privilage of making reservations for the entire week and other cabin types don't. My feeling is that's one of the perks they get with their suite (like the fact that the suite is larger than an inside cabin).

Archived