Can kids order adult meals?

emcamm

You should do some research before opening your mouth up about something you know little about.

She doesn't eat land animals because of a potential allergy to the growth hormones. I had a SEVERE reaction to these when I was a child so she is raised without them. Once she hits puberty she can choose to eat whatever she wants but has no current interest in eating any meat. Being lactose intolerant she consumes only small amounts of dairy so there isn't a big issue with the hormones in dairy.

Thank you to everyone who gave me a serious answer. :D I was looking at some of the potential menus and I think she's going to love the seafood dishes. I was definitely eyeing the shrimp cocktail for an appetizer as well.

We're definitely looking forward to our first cruise next month!

Before you jump down someones throat about something of which you obviously know little about, maybe you should do your own research. Hormones (including growth) are not given to poultry raised in the U.S. It's illegal. So not all land animals are 'contaminated'.

Our 8yo is a lacto-ovo-pesca vegetarian (eats dairy, eggs, seafood) and the kids menu in the dining hall seems very limited for her. Can she order from the adult menu instead?

I think your mixed up with your food groups. Dairy, eggs and seafood and you say he's a vegetarian? Great comic relief. It reminded me when we had a formal night dinner with a couple from Newport Beach CA and she told the waiter she was allergic to seafood so she's having the lobster tail. I laughed so hard I was crying. Of course I did not laugh at her, I waited to after dinner and repeated that line to my wife and then I cried with laughter.

woops. I apologize I was just laughing I forgot that was a serious question. By all means let the young man experiment with different foods. I have learned a great deal about food from cruising myself. I have tried foods on the cruise I never knew about. My favorite was tuna carpacchio, I thought it was only beef.
Apparently you were so busy laughing at someone else mistake that you missed the word her in the original post. This would make her a young woman, not a young man.

Who is laughing now? :D

I typically order multiple appetizers and multiple adult entrees. For dessert, I typically only like tiramisu or certain cakes from the Windjammer or Lido. Most nights, the wait staff will get these from the other kitchen!

My 8 yo son loves steak so he orders dinner off the adult dinner menu.

My 10 yo daughter loves shrimp cocktail so she gets a couple of those off the adult menu. Yes, multiple quantities. She prefers dessert off the adult dessert menu.

My kids also love tiramisu and will order it, even if it is NOT on any dessert menu!

My wife insists the family have a fresh vegetable plate (it's not on the menu!) for everyone to share so we get our veggies every evening. She also loves cookies and brownies for dinner so she orders dessert off the kids' menu.

In summary, almost anything goes in a cruise ship dining room (or via room service). So you can not only order off the adult and kids menu, but you can even order stuff that isn't even on the menu! Just ask and be sure to take care of your wait staff! :)

We are lucky here in Canada, our red meat, pork and chicken at our local grocery store is not certified organic but it is the closet thing to it. I didn't know about these growth hormanes??? Gross.....:mad:

We listern to what the waiter's recommendations as well :)

We have always let our children order off the adult menus. Of course the little dears want to order 5 courses (soup, salad, appetizer, main course, dessert) at home now too.....:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Gosh, that's amazing. This is probably a stupid question but where you live is there ready access to organic and free range meat? I only like to buy organic free range meat in the UK because I don't like the idea of the hormones given to battery chickens to make them grow fattier and more quickly so I only ever buy free range organic as they're much more as nature intended.

I was reading about food allergies and I read (can't remember where) that studies had shown that children who weren't exposed to certain foods or food groups from a young age were more likely to be allergic to them so as you're worried about your daughter having a *potential* reaction to the growth hormones in meat, have you ever given her a small amount of organic meat?

Also, it's good that she's getting protein from eggs and seafood etc. but - and I'm sure you already do this - it's always worth checking that the eggs are also organic and from free range hens, and that the fish your DD's eating doesn't have high levels of chemicals in. Over here in the UK they have recommended age limits and recommended amounts of certain types of fish and seafood because of chemicals (natural or added) found in the fish.

And our DD almost always ordered from the adult menus on her last cruise and being a steak lover and a huge meat & vegetable eater I'm expecting her to do the same on Freedom.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Kind regards, Spanner :)

We do have access to organic chicken but she has no interest in eating it. She eats seafood probably twice a week and the other days it's soy alternatives. She rarely eats seafood that has high mercury levels and we are lucky living in living on the coast that we have access to really fresh fish. Some nights she doesn't even eat a protein with dinner (other than her soy milk) as she ends up eating enough throughout the day that it just isn't needed. She only needs about 30 grams a day so it's easily obtained through her milk, limited dairy she eats (yogurt, some cheese), organic eggs, and other sources.

I've told her that once she starts puberty she can make food choices for herself. She's never once complained about being a vegetarian and actually takes pride in educating her friends about it.

Before you jump down someones throat about something of which you obviously know little about, maybe you should do your own research. Hormones (including growth) are not given to poultry raised in the U.S. It's illegal. So not all land animals are 'contaminated'.

I guess that would be helpful IF I lived in the U.S.

My parents and I were given information and we followed it. I am continuing it with my daughter if there is even the slightest chance that she inherited this from myself. It was a horrible thing to go through and if she can be spared just by raising her a vegetarian then I think it's a very easy decision to make.

Archived