Where to stay when leaving from Galveston Port?

Cruise_Q

I know that several members have left from this port and I was wondering if ppl would mind sharing what hotel they would recommend to stay ( hotel wise) when leaving from this port. Also, where to leave the car and if the hotel you stayed at would allow you to leave your car there. And if they provided transportation to the port and the cost if any.

Thanks so much...

Galveston has changed a lot since I was there last, so my suggestion would be for you to head over to the Gulf Departure board. There are many there who would be able to answer you questions more accurately.

But my past research showed that the hotels that allowed you to park your car there for the week usually did not have a free shuttle. There were a few people reporting that some of the higher-end hotels (Galvez, etc) did have a shuttle but I can't remember if there was a charge for it or if you could leave your car there.

well as someone who lives here I can tell you a few things. First the city itself isn't actually ticketing resident areas due to all of the meters being broken still and all of the contractors still working. Mind you I still probably wouldn't leave my car out and about for a week, especially as we just had a huge storm yesterday and I am pretty sure dozens to maybe a hundred + cars just near UTMB got flooded due to overflow of the storm drains on the street so that could happen if you just left it. Hotel wise I am pretty sure all of the hotels on the strand are still dead. There are a few on seawall that are nice and up and running but I would assume they charge for parking but I think they would be your safest/best bet.

We are booked at the Howard Johnson's for $62.99 plus tax, and they have free cruise parking, but no shuttle, so we have to pay for a taxi.

Many stay at the Holiday Inn who gave our Sept crazies a group rate of $109 and they have free cruise parking plus a shuttle.

Many hotels have free cruise parking, just have to decide what kind of hotel you want. Hotel prices are still up from Ike passing thru.

Our February cruise we stayed at Moody Gardens but it is pricey. They do allow you to leave your car there and have a shuttle back and forth to the cruise port.

In January we stayed at the Commodore on the Beach. You can leave your car there but you will have to take a taxi back and forth at your own expense. One note, the Commodore on the Beach is showing its age and we could not use our balcony. Too many pigeon droppings. When we work up the next morning we looked out to see dozens of pigeons using everyone's balcony as their own haven to sleep on.

Both times we opt to park at the EZ Cruise Parking lot and plan on using it again for our February 2010. For this cruise we plan on staying at The Tremont.

Harbor House is the primo place to stay, because its right next to the port and a old historical building to boot.

We usually stay at the Howard Johnson's and I'm glad it's open again. However for our September Crazies cruise we're staying at the Harbor House. It's very pricey and they require a 2 night minimum if booking on a Friday or Saturday night.

We usually stay at the Howard Johnson's and I'm glad it's open again. However for our September Crazies cruise we're staying at the Harbor House. It's very pricey and they require a 2 night minimum if booking on a Friday or Saturday night.

Try the Tremont near the Strand. If you can't book directly with the Tremont go to their corporate site which would be Wydham Hotels.

Archived