Sheraton Old San Juan

luvluv2cruise

I just returned from a Celebrity Cruise and we stayed, pre-cruise, two nights at the Shearton Old San Juan. I was a little hesitant and worried about this hotel as I had read so many negative posts. I just want everyone in the same situation that I was in to know that there is absolutely nothing wrong with this hotel! We checked in on a Thursday morning at 10:30am. We were given our room immediately and the front desk receptionist, Isha, was very nice. We had requested a queen room on a higher floor with a bay view. When we got to to the room we had only a small window. The room itself was fine, granted it was not the Ritz Carlton, but then again I was not paying a Ritz Carlton price either. I decided, nonetheless, to go back downstairs and take my chances by asking for a room with a balcony. Isha, spent a few minutes looking through available rooms and told me she could offer one of two options, a one bedroom suite with balcony or a jr. suite with a verandah. The suite would have cost us an extra $50 per night and I opted not to take it. She offered us the jr. suite for FREE. The room was very nice and the view was wonderful. The pool area was great, and yes it did get a little crowded on Friday afternoon when all the cruisers started to arrive, nevertheless, it was still relaxing. The fitness center was adequate and served its purpose.

Overall, and again, everyone in the hotel was very kind to us. I was concerned about check out on Saturday morning and I asked Isha what time she recommended we check out to avoid the crowd on Saturday. She laughed and said that Saturday would be their busiest day so she recommended checking out at 8:00am to avoid the rush. However, even though we checked out and settled our bill, they let us return to our room until about 11:00. This allowed us to avoid the crowd when we left the hotel.

Everyone should also know this. At 4:00am on the morning of your checkout, the hotel will put a copy of your bill and receipt under your room door. If you don't disagree with the charges then nothing else needs to be done. You can simply drop your key off along with a signed copy of the tab, they left under the door, in the express check out box. This also allows you to avoid the crowd.

I would stay in this hotel again with no worries. I was also a Priceline customer and they could not have been nicer to us. There is so much to do in Old San Juan around the hotel and the area is truely beautiful. It reminded me of walking the streets of Madrid.

We did not experience any noise from the bars in the area as we were on the Starwood members floor which was #8. We had a room that faced the harbor. It was very nice.:)

OK, some have posted their rooms were noisy due to some late night bars in the area.

OK, some have posted their rooms were noisy due to some late night bars in the area.

The rooms on the back of the hotel (the ones with 2 beds) can have noise from Senor Frogs which is behind the hotel. If you are concerned about noise ask for a room with a king size bed - they are on the front of the hotel.

Thanks Granddutchess - did you also book through Priceline?

I am curious to hear if the OP requested a certain type of room since they booked through Priceline. I am staying at the Sheraton in July post-cruise and booked through Priceline. I was wondering if I should email them a room request and if it would be honored.

Hi Scarlett824,

I did not book through Priceline. I got a Government rate which was about 20.00 dollars higher than Priceline or Hotwire but we are getting two buffet breakfasts in our rate. I do not think you can request a specific type of room when using either Priceline and/or Hotwire.

Celebrity Summit (we cruised her in March) is about a 10 minute cab ride from the Sheraton. When you stand in front of the hotel (or at the pool or at the terrace restaurant) you can see the ships across the harbor and to the left at dock at a small airport. The pier is called the PanAm pier. The tourist cab company has many cabs right outside the hotel 24/7.

DW and I will be staying there in 14 days {not that we are counting:)} and she read elsewhere that there is a street party on Sat. night in front of the docks. Is that true and how late does it go? She wants to do a Sunset Ferry Cruise that she found and the street party sounds like it might be fun also.

Another question about the Sheraton. I've read that there is roof top pool. Does anyone know what time in the morning you can access the pool? Not that I want ot swim at 6:30 am but I would love to watch the Victory come into port in the morning and think that would be the best place.

Another question about the Sheraton. I've read that there is roof top pool. Does anyone know what time in the morning you can access the pool? Not that I want ot swim at 6:30 am but I would love to watch the Victory come into port in the morning and think that would be the best place.

I don't remember that it had closing hours but you definitely could get up there late at night to watch the ships sailaway and early in the morning to watch them sail in.

I don't remember that it had closing hours but you definitely could get up there late at night to watch the ships sailaway and early in the morning to watch them sail in.

Watching a cruise ship sail away without me doesn't sound like it would be any fun.:( Watching a merchant ship sail away would be cool:). But no cruise ship should leave a port with out me on one, at least not while I'm watching.:D

Archived