New ESTA visa application

cruzadict

I have just registered and obtained the new ESTA visa authorization. Does this make entry into New York any easier when we arrive on the 19th June or is it still long and drawn out.

Actually it makes no difference whatsoever, you still complete the TWOV form and hand it to the Immigration Officer, he swipes your passport and the ESTA info appears on his screen. You then give four fingers together left hand, left thumb and then the same on the right hand. A quick digital photo and he stamps all the forms as usual. It may be intended to replace the paperwork but currently, it does not.

When I completed the ESTA application online I thought it was in place of the card usually completed inflight but things I have read since make me think otherwise. If we do still have to complete the card inflight, what is the point as questions are the same. I'm sure this has not been introduced to make things easier and more pleasant for visitors to the US. I've always thought it's a bit of a scream anyway. If I were a terrorist or was involved in espionage would I tell the US authorities. Do the US authorities really think that terrorists and spies would answer yes to these questions. I can understand questions re passport number and address whilst in the US etc but some questions are just plain daft. Just as well my real name is not here or they might not let me in. Ok I've finished sounding off now.

I must agree that it does seem to be an over-reaction as the card is still manually completed. I assume, probably wrongly, that it is all part of a master plan that will be introduced in the future, or it could just be a bureaucratic cock up. Now that would be a shock - wouldn't it??

Maybe its just a long winded way to stop us touring the US. These so called metal detectors, I walk through with a bl00dy big watch on, a pocket full of change and I am asked to remove my belt, the shoes bit I can understand and the alarm makes no sound, my wife walk through, alarm goes off and they say oh, its probably your bra strap, sorry but what a load of................ theres two L's in it

I for one will try all alternatives than travel to the US. Don't know if anyones flown Continental from Bristol, but they even search the pilot:eek: It cannot be doing any favours for the US tourist board, if only Arnie knew when he made his ad for:confused:

Maybe its just a long winded way to stop us touring the US. alarm goes off and they say oh, its probably your bra strap, sorry but what a load of................ theres two L's in it

:confused:

You should never keep your balls in your wife's bra, even I stop short of that...:)

I feel comfortable with high security, it is for a good reason. Pity the UK is not stricter. Spain is a joke, take the small bottle of water from passengers but miss the scissors in a handbag.

I feel comfortable, NOT< flying> at all,

Cptn, I am so pleased you dont keep your balls in ovccruiser,s wifes Bra, such an odd thought, but I rest my case there, :)

Moniquet

I feel comfortable with high security - excellent idea in principle - but there's good high security (ie sensible) and there's just plain idiotic. I suppose some of it is just down to how things are implemented. My beef is with having to enter the information pre-flight and then having to duplicate it in-flight and the inane questions asked eg are you a terrorist or have you been involved in **** activities in the thirties and forties. I wonder how many "yes" answers they receive to these questions.

Capn

Perhaps it is part of a master plan for the future or perhaps they just like exerting their authority and annoying tourists who have the audacity to try to enter the country for pleasure.

I feel comfortable, NOT< flying> at all,

Cptn, I am so pleased you dont keep your balls in ovccruiser,s wifes Bra, such an odd thought, but I rest my case there, :)

Rob, If you are resting your case there, I am sure there is no room for anything of mine lol

Moniquet

I feel comfortable with high security - excellent idea in principle - but there's good high security (ie sensible) and there's just plain idiotic. I suppose some of it is just down to how things are implemented. My beef is with having to enter the information pre-flight and then having to duplicate it in-flight and the inane questions asked eg are you a terrorist or have you been involved in **** activities in the thirties and forties. I wonder how many "yes" answers they receive to these questions.

Capn

Well there was a time when we (Yanks) had to answer: Are you or were you ever a member of the Communist Paty?

Ted

Last year I had a problem in LA. The immigration officer said I needed another form, I told him I did not, he was quite sure I needed the form & I was sure I didn't, a supervizor came over, I was right. Next question, was I bringing $10,000 into the country, no, but if he wanted to give it to me I would take it. Then I got the answer I get at the Michigan border, "Go away & have a good time". I smiled & was "pleasant" throughout.

When I was working, if the ship arrived in an American port everybody had to present themselves to the Immigration Officer irrespective of time or duty. Even if it was 3am if the immigration guy did not actually look you in the eye then it was no white docket for you pal and therefore no shore leave. And believe me those guys did NOT hang about.

Gari

It's worth noting that in spite of supplying all the relevant information in advance and getting written clearance in the form of an Esta from the American authorities one still has to suffer the indignity of being finger-printed upon arrival in America! Yes, we know, " if you are innocent you have nothing to fear". Where have we heard that before?

Of course, arrivals in what used to be called Great Britain are now welcomed with open arms, put up at a five-star hotel and given a fistful of sterling. Perhaps the American immigration officers could give some advice to our hapless authorities?

We flew into Newark, New Jersey on 12th April. We had done the ESTA online beforehand (it is free though some sites try and charge you for it - use the official site Cunard direct you to) and still had to complete a green form on the plane.

Have to say the trip through customs and baggage claim was very swift and without incident, about 30 minutes in total. Quicker than last time I went through Manchester!

Hi, Capn, hope you are well. Lovely to meet you last week - so jealous you're going TA again soon! We are planning our next trip.

• 3 weeks later...

Have already received authorisation on completing our ESTA forms, but we've now decided to do a crossing to join our Caribbean cruise, rather than flying. I went on tonight to change and I could not see an option for arriving by ship. Has anybody out there completed one recently who can advise me. Don't want to get it wrong!! Many thanks.

Have already received authorisation on completing our ESTA forms, but we've now decided to do a crossing to join our Caribbean cruise, rather than flying. I went on tonight to change and I could not see an option for arriving by ship. Has anybody out there completed one recently who can advise me. Don't want to get it wrong!! Many thanks.

When I first registered I couldn't see the ship option but then I went back on and it is in fact at or towards the bottom of the drop down list

Archived