Tanning.. Before You Cruise

Easy there people. I have had Psoriasis for 20 years and become damn near cured with the Vit-D that comes with the summer sun. I didn't come to this thread to get a lecture about the evils of the sun. I was entertained as to to the "fuzzy" math about risk %'s I read. Continue now with your angry comments about my "moronic brainless" self. Have another cocktail or burn a fatty and relax a bit. Your stress will kill you.

Hi!! I am new to the board.. i am going on a cruise May 16. I have started tanning about 3 weeks ago... i am tanning but i am not getting the brown that I want... is there any lotions or anything that yall might recommend to increase the summer look..

Do they sell special lotion at your tanning salon? I bought it and it is expensive but worth it. They claim it only works in the salon, not outdoors.

Your skin will tan better if it is moist. Completely dry skin will deflect many or even most of the rays in a bed. ANY lotion before you get in will help you absorb the rays better. The expensive ones sold in the salon do not do a better job. The only exception is the ones that also have "bronzer" in them, which amounts to self tan lotion added to them. Therefore, with those you get darker from the self tanner portion, not because it "increased the tanning ability".

With that said - why not just skip the fees for the tanning bed, not to mention all the skin damage and just use the self tanner?

I was entertained as to to the "fuzzy" math about risk %'s I read. Continue now with your angry comments about my "moronic brainless" self. Have another cocktail or burn a fatty and relax a bit

Unless you are an MD, a geneticist or have take at least several courses in Mendelian Genetic Distribution I doubt you are qualified to comment on the "fuzzy math". Genetic inheiritanace patterns are very complex and are affected by things such as if the trait is autosomal or non-autosomal, sex linked, dominant or recessive, etc. All these factors affect the transmission rate, so the "math" often does not seem to make logical sense. Perhaps you should go back to what you do best, which I suspect is "burning a big fatty".

Easy there people. I have had Psoriasis for 20 years and become damn near cured with the Vit-D that comes with the summer sun. I didn't come to this thread to get a lecture about the evils of the sun. I was entertained as to to the "fuzzy" math about risk %'s I read. Continue now with your angry comments about my "moronic brainless" self. Have another cocktail or burn a fatty and relax a bit. Your stress will kill you.

Please don't insult our intelligence with your "I didn't come here for a lecture,"

you threw the first nasty comment and when it was thrown back at you, you come up with "I have psoriasis and the sun saved me. and your math is fuzzy."

Funny, I missed you sitting in the doctor's office with me when he gave me the information.

As for angry comments, look inward, psoriasis has been known to cause anger and depression in a large percentage of people with it. (I'll refrain from giving exact percentages as this seems to set you off!)

Also, drinking and burning a fatty can cause a flare up of psoriasis so you best be careful, wouldn't want you doing anything that would cause your condition to become worse now would we.

I tan. I started doing it to get a base color before vacation a couple of years ago and suddenly noticed a marked improvement in acne both on my body and face. After the tan faded, my acne came back. I didn't really put two and two together at the time, but in years since have noticed that each time I do tan for a little while my skin really does look amazing. Honestly, if it comes down to wrinkles later or acne now (and lots more scars from said acne), I say tan. I am very dillegent about checking over myself though, and do know the risks. *note, I am not saying tanning helps everyone with acne, I'm just saying it does for me, and mine was very very bad*

I understand what people are saying when they say that they are just trying to help and warn others of the dangers, but I have to wonder what rock someone must have crawled out from under in order to not have already heard about the dangers. It's kind of like telling a smoker how unhealthy it is (but I guess at least with tanning there isn't second hand exposure). Yes, it's unhealthy and self-destructive. Yes I know this. Yes, I still choose to do it :)

LOL! So true!!! I believe we all know the dangers:rolleyes:....... And everyone has a choice.........which mine is tanning. I have not burned since I was a teenager because of my tanning sessions........and will continue to do so.......

If you know or feel you are at high risk of getting skin cancer.......then don't do it.....easy peasy:)

If I developed cihrosis of the liver from drinking I would not expect or tell others not to drink.......

LOL! So true!!! I believe we all know the dangers:rolleyes:....... And everyone has a choice.........which mine is tanning. I have not burned since I was a teenager because of my tanning sessions........and will continue to do so.......

If you know or feel you are at high risk of getting skin cancer.......then don't do it.....easy peasy:)

If I developed cihrosis of the liver from drinking I would not expect or tell others not to drink.......

What if you developed cihrosis of the liver and DID NOT DRINK? Then would you warn people that it can happen without drinking??

My husband's boss had a liver transplant last year because of cihrosis of the liver and he did not drink.

I do not tan, never have, yet I got melanoma so you can get it without being a sun worshipper.

And there are lots of people who do not know that you can get it by using a tanning bed. Or people who think because they have olive or dark skin they are somehow immune to it. You don't have to live under a rock to be uninformed. How many advertisements have you seen where tanning beds are called the "safe alternative" to the suns rays?

You are right, everyone has the right to make the choice but, they also have the right to make an informed choice. And because MAY is Skin cancer awareness month then it bears repeating that skin cancer is on the rise and that tanning of any kind is dangerous. If everyone already knows about it then we would not need a month to get the word out every year.

As for smoking, I remember smoking in the 70's and being told that if I smoked menthol when I had a cold it would hellp me get over my cold because of the menthol?!! So there were then and are now lots of misinformation out there.

Remember when chewing tobacco was considered a "safe alternative" to smoking?

So the sarcastic eye roll really isn't necessary. Not everyone is as well read or well informed as you.

[/b]

What if you developed cihrosis of the liver and DID NOT DRINK? Then would you warn people that it can happen without drinking??

My husband's boss had a liver transplant last year because of cihrosis of the liver and he did not drink.

I do not tan, never have, yet I got melanoma so you can get it without being a sun worshipper.

And there are lots of people who do not know that you can get it by using a tanning bed. Or people who think because they have olive or dark skin they are somehow immune to it. You don't have to live under a rock to be uninformed. How many advertisements have you seen where tanning beds are called the "safe alternative" to the suns rays?

You are right, everyone has the right to make the choice but, they also have the right to make an informed choice. And because MAY is Skin cancer awareness month then it bears repeating that skin cancer is on the rise and that tanning of any kind is dangerous. If everyone already knows about it then we would not need a month to get the word out every year.

As for smoking, I remember smoking in the 70's and being told that if I smoked menthol when I had a cold it would hellp me get over my cold because of the menthol?!! So there were then and are now lots of misinformation out there.

Remember when chewing tobacco was considered a "safe alternative" to smoking?

So the sarcastic eye roll really isn't necessary. Not everyone is as well read or well informed as you.

Warn them about what:confused: That anyone can get anything for no reason sometimes.......or maybe some people just got dealt the wrong cards:confused:

Sorry I choose not to live my life in fear of developing something that I have no control over......if you do that is your choice........

You yourself admitted to getting melanoma without tanning and there are people that tan regulary and never get it........

Being informed is taking control of your health.....regular check ups, family history etc........and that is the word that cancer awareness is trying to get out...........know your body!

Like another poster said if you don't think excessive sun exposure is damaging then you indeed do live under a rock;)

I am hoping to warn people that ONE burn as a child can lead to melanoma later in life. Most people don't realize that it only takes ONE burn to start the chain of events that could alter you life or end your life.

Most people don't realize that you can die from melanoma.

Many people that I have talked to think that you might get a spot of skin cancer, you go to the doctors and have it cut off, end of story. THat is not were the story ends for a lot of people.

People have been told that tanning beds are a safe alternative, it is not. I have seen tanning salons advertise that it is safer to tan under their lights than the sun. I have called the attorney general to get those ads pulled because they are mis leading and untrue. But, there are people who have seen and heard this that don't know they are hearing false advertising.

You are right that it is everyones right to choose to tan or not tan. But, my hope is that when they have intelligent, informed information they will choose wisely.

It is also my hope that they will realize that choosing to tan and perhaps getting melanoma does not affect just their lives, it also affects those who love them as well.

Just like the alcoholic or drug addict does not realize that what they do affect everyone around them.

So, you will pardon me and others fighting or surviving melanoma for continuing to spread the word. :)

And for those of you who are going through treatment now, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I pray that you have a complete and healthy recovery. God Bless

Great post "mommadisney". People either don't know, don't care, don't think it's true, or don't think it will happen to them. When your skin color is changed - even that "pretty" little brown color - it means without question that the free radicals in the sun's rays have injured your cells' DNA, which can set off a chain reaction that leads to skin cancer. One in five Americans WILL develop skin cancer. Why increase those odds? Makes no sense. No doubt many a "sun goddess" wouldn't DREAM of smoking a cigarette but will lay in the sun or a tanning bed without hesitation. Again, makes NO sense. There are FAR too many products on the market that will dye your skin brown when that's all you're after anyway! Brown up with the fake stuff and COVER yourself with a high SPF sunblock - best of both worlds!

Great post "mommadisney". People either don't know, don't care, don't think it's true, or don't think it will happen to them. When your skin color is changed - even that "pretty" little brown color - it means without question that the free radicals in the sun's rays have injured your cells' DNA, which can set off a chain reaction that leads to skin cancer. One in five Americans WILL develop skin cancer. Why increase those odds? Makes no sense. No doubt many a "sun goddess" wouldn't DREAM of smoking a cigarette but will lay in the sun or a tanning bed without hesitation. Again, makes NO sense. There are FAR too many products on the market that will dye your skin brown when that's all you're after anyway! Brown up with the fake stuff and COVER yourself with a high SPF sunblock - best of both worlds!

Thank you. I feel that even if one person thinks twice then perhaps a life has been saved and family is still intact. Too many people that I personally know have been touched by melanoma to make it insignificant to me! And, these are just random people, I do not belong to any group or anything, it is just random.

• 4 months later...
Old thread but did not find the answer I am looking for.

For thoes who use a self tanner, do you apply the cream to your feet and heels?

How do you not make it look strange putting on your heels!

I'm not an expert self-tanner but my mom is obsessed so I learn little tid-bits from her.. She lightly smooths self tanner over the top of her foot & toes and then goes back with a damp cloth to wipe away excess. You want it to naturally fade a little bit there. You can also use alcohol on a cotton ball to remove any excess self-tanner. I have never put self tanner of the heel of my foot; I don't think my mom does either.

I've tried many different self-tanners and end up tossing most of the contents. They just don't work for me. I'm happy that so many find them good.

I prefer to develop a natural/sun tan slowly. I start about 1-2 months before a cruise and spend 20 mins outdoors 3 times a week.

Cheers,

Anna

Archived