Tanning.. Before You Cruise

Does anyone go tanning a couple times before they cruise?

I usually don't ever tan in a bed, with the exception of 2 weeks prior to a cruise, so I'm going to be purchasing a tan package in the next couple of days. I was wondering if this was common among the cruise critic ladies?

I've read a lot that tanning beds don't really help you build a "base color" to avoid burning once you go in the sun. But once I get a little tan, I typically don't burn. I'm not debating beauty/skin experts, just expressing my experience & wondering how many others on here tan before they cruise.

I started tanning last week for my cruise the end of May. Dh is tanning too. I still plan to use sunscreen but thought if I had a base tan that would help and I would look better having some color than being ghost white.:cool:

Does anyone go tanning a couple times before they cruise?

I usually don't ever tan in a bed, with the exception of 2 weeks prior to a cruise, so I'm going to be purchasing a tan package in the next couple of days. I was wondering if this was common among the cruise critic ladies?

I've read a lot that tanning beds don't really help you build a "base color" to avoid burning once you go in the sun. But once I get a little tan, I typically don't burn. I'm not debating beauty/skin experts, just expressing my experience & wondering how many others on here tan before they cruise.

If you want your face to look likea handbag by the time you're 40, keep this up. Maybe you can even get a few little skin cancers that need to be removed.

Or, you can use a safe spray on or rub on tanning product, and use sunblock when you're out by the pool and stay pretty and cancer free.

Stepping off the soap box now. :)

I always get a "base" tan ( or more) and don't burn. You still need sunscreen, tho, because the sun is much, much stronger in the Caribbean than even in Florida....Nothing will ruin your vacation more than a nasty burn.

I like the idea of self-tanners, but they only last a few days, and are a total pain to use over and over and over again. And, they will fade unevenly, making you look dirty...when they find one that REALLY mimics a tan, then that's for me!

I'm tanning now for our cruise in a couple weeks. I have never burned.

FYI regarding the handbag face look......the new tanning beds allow you do turn off the face option of the bed;) Or you can simply put a towel over your face.......

There is another thread all about various sunless tan products that people have used and what works best. It is very long, but well worth reading.

Tanning beds are very bad for you. The incidence of skin cancer has sky rocketed in the last 10 years since they became more popular. Even in people as young as their 20's. Also cancer in areas we never used to dream of since many people get in them nude. (skin cancer on your hoo-ha? sounds fun, huh??)

The rays actually do more damage than the real sun due to the fact that they penetrate more deeply (which is why you don't see as much burn). Therefore they are damaging the deeper layers of skin and collagen, resulting in worse aging over time. They also penetrate deeply enough to kill white blood cells and impair your immune system. Even if you cover your face the rest of your body will acquire age spots and wrinkles.:(

I used to tan in the sun alot in my 20's, never got into the tanning bed stuff and now I stick to fake tan. I have friends who are 10 years younger than me, have been getting in the tanning bed regularly and every one thinks they are 10 yr. older than me!:eek:

Tan if you must - but be INFORMED. Skin cancer can kill you.

Dr. endosunshine

cb at sea - Not sure if you have ever tried the Neutrogena Build-A-Tan, but I have been using that for the last couple of years, as the medication I am taking causes me to get an allergic reaction to the tanning beds. Once you get to the color that you want, you really only have to use it about every other day and very simple to apply, just like using moisturizer. Big plus is that you DON'T look orange! Needless to say, it doesn't prevent you from getting sunburned so you still have to use a sunblock. But at least it gives me the color I am looking for!

Sue

I used to tan in the sun alot in my 20's, never got into the tanning bed stuff and now I stick to fake tan. I have friends who are 10 years younger than me, have been getting in the tanning bed regularly and every one thinks they are 10 yr. older than me!:eek:

Tan if you must - but be INFORMED. Skin cancer can kill you.

Dr. endosunshine

Regardless if you tan in a bed regularly or in the sun regularly this will happen. I would never recommend tanning anywhere regularly......but sadly some people do........

It all comes down to moderation..........

I always get a "base" tan ( or more) and don't burn. You still need sunscreen, tho, because the sun is much, much stronger in the Caribbean than even in Florida....Nothing will ruin your vacation more than a nasty burn.

I like the idea of self-tanners, but they only last a few days, and are a total pain to use over and over and over again. And, they will fade unevenly, making you look dirty...when they find one that REALLY mimics a tan, then that's for me!

I agree about the tanners. I have been tanning for 2 weeks now, I bought the month's package and it is working out fine! I am leaving in 2 more weeks and will be a nice color and no sunburn while on the ship! FYI I am 55 and always do this before a trip and my skin is fine, no skin cancer, blotches, etc. I think it actually HELPS prevent it because you work your way up to a dark color.

:D:D

If you want your face to look likea handbag by the time you're 40, keep this up. Maybe you can even get a few little skin cancers that need to be removed.

Or, you can use a safe spray on or rub on tanning product, and use sunblock when you're out by the pool and stay pretty and cancer free.

Stepping off the soap box now. :)

Oh, BTW, everyone remarks about my skin and how pretty it looks...LOL

I really think some people around here just sit and wait for a new question so that they can take the opposition. She asked if anyone tans before they cruise! Not if tanning is bad for you. If you arent answering the question why do you have to give your two cents?? Yes, sometimes I try to get some color before I cruise. Have a great trip.

yep, I tan before cruising! I am lucky to live in Florida so if the weather is nice I will go outside but I do go to the bed as well. I put a towel over my face and sometimes I do wear sunscreen in the bed for my chest area because that tends to burn.

I don't want to ruin my cruise by turning lobster red on day 1 :D

I did the spray on tan once. I wasn't that thrilled with it. First of all, it stinks. DH and I both did it and we both agree it stinks!

Once, I tried the self tanning lotion after I got home from my cruise. I like how I looked tan and gave it a try. That stinks too! The stuff in those self tanners must not agree with my chemistry! I couldn't stand smelling myself! LOL!

Two years ago a friend suggested tanning before the cruise. I tanned for two weeks before I left. I felt I was way too dark. Last year I did only one week. I tan real easy. This year I am tanning for just one week before this cruise. I started last Friday and skipped one day and have tanned five times so far. I only have two days left and I leave for my cruise Saturday! So, just one week is fine for me.

I still use 15 spf sunscreen while cruising. I was good the last two years and didn't get sunburned, just tanned! :)

Well, I won't get on my soapbox, but I will answer. After all, you asked!

I used to tan in the tanning beds. Not often, but always before a cruise. For the very reasons you all listed on this thread.

HOWEVER, I have since been diagnosed with Stage 3 Melanoma. I've had 3 surgeries in the past 2 months. After what I have been through, you couldn't drag me into a tanning booth kicking and screaming. I wish we knew what we know now when I was younger. And I wish I paid more attention as I got older. I, too, enjoyed a nice tan and always received compliments.

You only need to be told once that you may die from cancer to stop doing anything that may accelerate that condition.

Everyone will do what they want. This is just my observation from the "other side" of the argument. If you do want to expose your skin, I hope and pray that you don't go through what I am.

I really think some people around here just sit and wait for a new question so that they can take the opposition. She asked if anyone tans before they cruise! Not if tanning is bad for you. If you arent answering the question why do you have to give your two cents?? Yes, sometimes I try to get some color before I cruise. Have a great trip.

Some people are very defensive.

I just like to put the facts out there - not everyone knows.

Like I said - Tan if you want to - just know the facts when you make the decision.

We tan prior to cruising in the spring...if cruising in the fall we have already been out in the sun over the summer (not, repeat, not lying out baking!). We both burn easily and have never had a problem when we've cruised thanks to taking some time before to get a base either via the season or the tanning beds. We would never dream of going out without sunscreen now, although in our youth we did do the bake with oil...that has probably contributed to more skin cancer than tanning beds! Friend who has fought cancer (successfully...yeah!) goes to the tanning beds before cruising too!

Like anything else, moderation is key.

The reason I asked this question was because I was genuinely interested in how many people actually tan before they cruise. And I was actually surprised that quite a few people do go tanning before their trips.

I do know the dangers of the sun & tanning beds. And believe it or not, I am very careful with things like that. I wear SPF on my face daily & from this point forward, will start wearing it on my hands daily. I rarely sit out & tan in the sun, with the exception of a vacation once a year. And I don't always, but sometimes do, go tanning before my trip (about 4 or 5x). So that's my story.

So thanks to everyone sharing their thoughts.

Well' date=' I won't get on my soapbox, but I will answer. After all, you asked!

I used to tan in the tanning beds. Not often, but always before a cruise. For the very reasons you all listed on this thread.

HOWEVER, I have since been diagnosed with Stage 3 Melanoma. I've had 3 surgeries in the past 2 months. After what I have been through, you couldn't drag me into a tanning booth kicking and screaming. I wish we knew what we know now when I was younger. And I wish I paid more attention as I got older. I, too, enjoyed a nice tan and always received compliments.

You only need to be told once that you may die from cancer to stop doing anything that may accelerate that condition.

Everyone will do what they want. This is just my observation from the "other side" of the argument. If you do want to expose your skin, I hope and pray that you don't go through what I am.[/quote']

High C's- Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I wish you the best & a speedy recovery.

High C's- Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I wish you the best & a speedy recovery.

That's very kind of you. Thank you.

And that's just what it is - "my" experience. No one will ever be able to say with certainty what makes some people fall victim to this and others do not. A very dear friend of mine has survived Stage 4 Melanoma TWICE, and he almost never exposes his skin to the sun.

Everyone will make their own choice, and being smart about exposure is key.

We tan prior to cruising in the spring...if cruising in the fall we have already been out in the sun over the summer (not, repeat, not lying out baking!). We both burn easily and have never had a problem when we've cruised thanks to taking some time before to get a base either via the season or the tanning beds. We would never dream of going out without sunscreen now, although in our youth we did do the bake with oil...that has probably contributed to more skin cancer than tanning beds! Friend who has fought cancer (successfully...yeah!) goes to the tanning beds before cruising too!

Like anything else, moderation is key.

Hi Rick and Debbie,

Are you originally from the Bowmanvile area?

Lisa

Archived