Will Carnival cancel cruise with low bookings?

MrsMDD

and how would i go about finding out if a particular cruise is in danger? We are booked to sail the Freedom on July 26, but all the sites rollcalls have very few people, and when I look up our stateroom class, nearly all the rooms on the floor (spa level) are still available.

we booked thru costco travel...do i call them or carnival and would they tell me? I hesitate to book airfare and hotels if they might cancel. we do have insurance, thru costco travel.

any input would be great.

tia

denice

Will Carnival cancel a cruise with low bookings......

No......

You cannot judge from these boards or any others how many people are going. Very few cruisers belong to cruise sites let alone post on them.....;)

and how would i go about finding out if a particular cruise is in danger? We are booked to sail the Freedom on July 26, but all the sites rollcalls have very few people, and when I look up our stateroom class, nearly all the rooms on the floor (spa level) are still available.

we booked thru costco travel...do i call them or carnival and would they tell me? I hesitate to book airfare and hotels if they might cancel. we do have insurance, thru costco travel.

tia

denice

I wouldn't worry about it,Carnival doesn't seem to have any problem filling up their ships. Never heard of them canceling for lack of people.

LOL, Not to worry -- (like many others) I've had some of the slowest roll calls ever, yet by the day of the cruise -- surprise, surprise, the ship was full! :eek:

They would have cancelled it long before now if they were going to. If need be, they will just keep lowering the price to fill it up (so keep checking the price; you might get a little OBC if it really is slow.)

Keep getting excited -- you'll have a wonderful time! :D

With roughly 2-5 % of cruisers utilizing cruise sites any evaluation of the industry based on the participation in any roll call would be using too small a sample size.

If Carnival, or any other cruise line for that matter, should decide to "cut back" they would probably do it on a ship to ship basis and would be planning many months, probably years, into the future, so the booking offering wouldn't even show. When they stop building ships by cancelling current building plans the industry is starting to suffer.

tia

denice

You are booked on a brand spanking new ship right in the middle of peak season. Your ship will sail with you on it. Do not stress over little stuff like this, it will ruin your cruise. Go ahead and book those flights and don't over think these things, you will have a better cruise. Have a great cruise.:D

tia

denice

Carnival will NOT cancel a cruise that's got low booking numbers. Cruises and passenger populations are reviewed constantly and priced adjusted to make the cruise more attractive and fill the ship.

Some roll calls aren't active at all but it's not an indication of how many folks will be on board.

It may seem amazing, but Cruise Critic members make up less than 2% of a typical ship's passengers. Now, some sailings have a large percentage - our Cruise Critic group cruises do... 5% or better. Our Crazies cruise will be 10%.

Bottom line, don't worry about low roll call numbers. Go and have a great time! You'll have plenty of shipmates!!!

:)

Mach

No.

Remember, Carnivla has a lot of overhead and debt to service. A ship sailing with a lot of open cabins just means they have to sell more stuff onboard. Regardless, they'll drop the fare as the sailing gets closer and fill it up, especially in summer. Remember, most people don't book as far in advance as a lot of us here at cruiisecritic do.

tia

denice

From the general viewing on my last carnival Cruise..the average age was 80.....there for most of the cruisers would not be on there boards:D

tia

denice

The ship will be filled by the time you sail! Out of curiosity, what Trip Insurance does your TA sell you? ken

They cancelled our cruise on the Liberty for the Baltic this summer because of low bookings. It all depends how far out the cruise is and where the ship is cruising.

Changing strategy and repositioning a ship is different from just canceling due to low bookings.

Changing strategy and repositioning a ship is different from just canceling due to low bookings.

Not really. They changed strategy because of low bookings. Carnival even stated that. They only repositioned the ship because the summer bookings did not meet their requirements.

Thanks for all the input. We are going to call our TA and check out what is happening, esp if fare's may drop.

It is not just the roll calls, but when you go into booking, at least on the Spa Deck Family Staterooms, nearly all are still coming up as available. That is more of what concerned me.

@Ken...i don't know what insurance it is ... it is thru Costco. Our benefits are double in some area's because we are excutive members. My husband is handling all the arrangements and I really don't know much about it. I am goin gto look it over this weekend with him.

Thanks again.

denice

tia

denice

Without knowing the exact numbers it probably cost more to cancel a cruise and refunds etc. since you have such a fixed cost already to the ship. Your are probably better to run it at a loss at sea than a total loss in port. It's a business and remember if they start cancelling cruises because it is not selling out it will be much harder to fill in the future. Bottom line always wins in business.

Archived