Ship Photos

CathyG

I know it's on here someplace but I can't find it. My question is - can we have Walgreens copy a picture that the ship took? Or is there a copyright that doesn't allow us to do it.

Thanks.

Cathy

The Walgreens here has made several copies of photos taken by the ship's photographer for me.

I need to edit to say that Walgreens made the copies AFTER I scanned them and brought in the CD.

The photos are copyrighted, but aftermarket places like Walgreens, WalMart, etc *WILL* copy the photo *IF* you have the copyright release. You can get the release online if your cruiseline uses Image Photo Services: Azamara, Celebrity, Cunard, Disney, Holland America, Norwegian (Jade and Sky only), Royal Caribbean.

Here's the policy from RCCL's website:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000OwuNKboyStbbzp0pTmiwcJY:13hldcgo7?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=268&faqSubjectId=337&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Extras&faqType=faq

Here's the Image Photo Services website's release page:

https://www.image.com/html/guest-postcruiseCopyrightReleaseForm.cfm

If it's a do-it-yourself scanner/copier at Walgreens, just do it yourself. If it's easy to get the release, go ahead and do that, but you can copy the pics yourself without it. You can also find a friend who prints pics at home and do it that way. We have our own scanner and printer...we just buy the photo paper.

Thanks everyone for your replies, especially Cindy. I've transferred the form to my favorites so I can use it when we return. Do I have to wait until after the cruise to get the release or can I do it before? Also, would I need a release form for each picture?

Thanks again,

Cathy

If it's a do-it-yourself scanner/copier at Walgreens, just do it yourself. If it's easy to get the release, go ahead and do that, but you can copy the pics yourself without it. You can also find a friend who prints pics at home and do it that way. We have our own scanner and printer...we just buy the photo paper.

That's not quite true... if the photo lab staff sees that you are copying professional photos, even if you are doing it yourself, they are obligated to get a release because you are using their equipment to commit a copyright infringement crime. Federal copyright law and all... My advice, get a release and have the lab reproduce the photos on their main print processor, not the glorified PC printers in the kiosks. The photo chemicals produce a much better print.

Thanks everyone for your replies, especially Cindy. I've transferred the form to my favorites so I can use it when we return. Do I have to wait until after the cruise to get the release or can I do it before? Also, would I need a release form for each picture?

Thanks again,

Cathy

One release would suffice. The website given wants the sail dates, so you should probably wait until after your cruise to get one.

Thanks RickEK. Now I don't have to worry. We're taking our grandson on our next cruise and I know his mom would like pictures too, but spending $40 for the same picture is almost out of the question. I think $20 is too much for one.

Cathy

Archived