Cruise Terminal Security

I'm certain there is a logical answer to this but I can not for the life of me understand why security will not let you use your cell phone or sometimes take pictures in the waiting area of the cruise ship terminals. You can do both in airline terminals and you can do both once on the ship but what am I missing here.... I find it very strange.

Phones can be used to set off bombs. (the Madrid train bombs for example).

I presume the photos is so you can't take photos of the security arrangements. So you can't "case the joint".

The customs area of JFK spring to mind as having the same restrictions.

I tried to take a picture of the "Welcome To Los Angeles" sign at the Tom Bradley International Terminal once. :eek: :eek: I had security on my like bees to honey LOL He said put it away, or I will confiscate your SD card.

"ok" I said sheepishly. Scared me a little when he jumped over at me.

We were on the Spirit a couple weeks ago. We were looking at our digital pics on the tv when we got back. My ds16 put his card in & I was shocked when I saw all his pics taken inside the terminal! Dh & I didn't even notice him taking pictures! Probably because we were too busy keeping our other 3 boys entertained while waiting in line at check-in.

In the main areas of the airport, you are fine taking pictures. But you are expressly prohibited from taking pictures in the areas controlled by immigrations and customs. Similiarly, in cruise terminals, the entire area is controlled by ICE so that's why you can't take pictures in the terminal.

Phones can be used to set off bombs. (the Madrid train bombs for example).

Common fallacy. If you want to do this , you still could do it. Either if FULL violation in the open, or descreetly in your pocket.

If you are going to do something bad, you do not care about the rules and are happy to remove yourself from this earth in the process. Sort of like how some airports want say you can not park in certain areas or they will tow your car. Again, if somebody wants to go ka-boom, it will happen before the truck gets there.

Somewhere along the line it trying to keep us safe, simple logic and brains get tossed out the window.

Common fallacy. If you want to do this , you still could do it. Either if FULL violation in the open, or descreetly in your pocket.

If you are going to do something bad, you do not care about the rules and are happy to remove yourself from this earth in the process. Sort of like how some airports want say you can not park in certain areas or they will tow your car. Again, if somebody wants to go ka-boom, it will happen before the truck gets there.

Somewhere along the line it trying to keep us safe, simple logic and brains get tossed out the window.

I didn't say it made sense.

Could not agree more with your post.

Thanks- so in other words I was right and there is no logical reason. Blowing up something with a remote can happen once you are on board as easily as in the muster area.

I have a belief that we have way too many bureaucrats sitting around with nothing to do. They have to do something to justify their jobs so they have meetings, break out groups, focus groups, write papers, and then come up with this kind of insanity.

Don't get me wrong we need good security (and not just to keep wine off the ships) but to this point I have not heard of one logical reason not to take a picture of your wife, or a sign or talk to your kids on your cell phone while you wait to board.

Thanks- so in other words I was right and there is no logical reason. Blowing up something with a remote can happen once you are on board as easily as in the muster area.

I have a belief that we have way too many bureaucrats sitting around with nothing to do. They have to do something to justify their jobs so they have meetings, break out groups, focus groups, write papers, and then come up with this kind of insanity.

Don't get me wrong we need good security (and not just to keep wine off the ships) but to this point I have not heard of one logical reason not to take a picture of your wife, or a sign or talk to your kids on your cell phone while you wait to board.

Muster area IS onboard, and there is nothing special about it as it is usually a lounge or the Promenade. SO the no pictures makes NO sense to me whatever and in fact on the Star the ships Photographer was snapping pictures of everyone lined up for Muster at each station.

Also NO ONE mentioned not taking pictures there and there were no signs to that affect either.

Archived