New & Lots Of Questions!

My fiance and I are thinking about doing a European honeymoon cruise on Norwegian because we LOVE the itinerary. We've only been on Carnival before, so what are some of the differences? Everyone says it's the "freestyle cruising," but to be honest I don't mind having a set time to eat. Carnival didn't have nearly as many specialty restaurants as Norwegian does, but the price was included for most restaurants on Carnival. We aren't huge buffet people, so to get a non-buffet meal would we need to pay extra for good food?

What are some other major differences?

Also, I know on Carnival if we book and the prices drops, we can call and get an adjustment. Does it work the same for Norwegian?

Thanks!

We aren't huge buffet people, so to get a non-buffet meal would we need to pay extra for good food?

No, you only pay for the specialty restaurants. The main dining rooms (typically two per ship), buffet, a small casual "fast food" type restaurant typically open 23 hours a day, and room service are included in your cruise fare and carry no additional charge.

What are some other major differences?

Also, I know on Carnival if we book and the prices drops, we can call and get an adjustment. Does it work the same for Norwegian?

I don't know if Carnival still has "formal" nights, but NCL does not. NCL does have "dress up or not nights", but a majority of passengers do not get dressed up. Personally, we dress "resort casual" for the entire length of our NCL cruises, and that is appropriate in any restaurant on any night.

If you haven't made final payment, you should be able to get a price adjustment...but you have to be careful if you originally booked when a promotion such as an on board credit was in effect. They may want to eliminate the value of the promotion in return for the lower cruise price. After final payment they are really not obligated to make any adjustment, but you may be able to get a minor concession such as an upgrade or a small on board credit.

Not sure what Carnival's tipping stucture is either but on NCL you will be charged $12.50 pp per person service charge which covers wait staff and cabin stewards. If you order room service tip them separately. Also if you have a suite, you will tip the Butler and concierge separately as well. Drinks include a tip already as do Spa services. Alcohol, soda and specialty coffees are extra as well.

You can eat wonderfully well in the dining rooms and never have to visit any specialty restaurants.

By the way if you REALLY want a set time you can make a standing reservation for the week once you get on board. If you are in a suite you can have dinner or breakfast for that matter served IN the suite by your butler.

No, you only pay for the specialty restaurants. The main dining rooms (typically two per ship), buffet, a small casual "fast food" type restaurant typically open 23 hours a day, and room service are included in your cruise fare and carry no additional charge.

On our last cruise, we never paid for any specialty restaurant. We ate in one of the two main dining rooms every day and night. The food was great. We never felt that we had to eat elsewhere.

We took our first NCL cruise on our honeymoon on the SS Norway (may she rest in peace). Once we boarded, we were HOOKED!!! We love NCL and adore Freestyle. To be able to eat where we want, when we want (generally speaking) is such a big plus. But, now since we have 2 kids, it's even better. We have sailed Carnival 3 times. Enjoyed it immensely. But, we feel we get better service and more bang for our buck with NCL.

Archived