Walkable beaches and costs in grand turk?

potchak

Hi all, We are on the Caribbean Princess in May going to grand turk, and would love to know if there are walkable beaches that have good snorkeling. DH lost his job, but since our cruise is already paid for, we thought we would still go, but need to keep it on the cheap. We planned to bring our own snorkel gear.

I see there is a Cruise center just off the port, but wasn't sure if there was a charge to use their beach or pool. Appreciate the help.

Hi all, We are on the Caribbean Princess in May going to grand turk, and would love to know if there are walkable beaches that have good snorkeling. DH lost his job, but since our cruise is already paid for, we thought we would still go, but need to keep it on the cheap. We planned to bring our own snorkel gear.

I see there is a Cruise center just off the port, but wasn't sure if there was a charge to use their beach or pool. Appreciate the help.

There is a beach right there at the Cruise Center, in front of Margarittaville. I don't think there is a charge to use the beach. When I was there in 2007, we only went to Margarittaville for burgers & Margarittas, but it appeared that a lot of people were using the beach.

Both the beach and pool are free including chaise lounges and umbrellas. We had a fantastic day there. The nice thing is the ship is docked right there so you can go back to the ship at any time for lunch or a snack. Good luck to your DH on finding a job-hes not alone

Hey Lost in the 50s - we're cruising on the Pride in June from Baltimore to Grand Turk, HMC, Freeport for the first time...should we worry about making sure we get an umbrella/spot on this free beach?

Sounds like you've been there - we've got nothing planned as far as excursions at this port because we were just going to beach it...good idea or is there something there that we should try to do and not miss out on?

thanks for the info!

The beach at Margarittaville stares out at the ship docked right in front of you. There is a beautiful free beach that is a 10 minute walk to the left. When I was there a few years ago there was an open air train-like shuttle from the parking lot to the beach for $3 each. As I recall there were no rentals at the beach. The snorkle excursion fron the ship went to the far end of this beach. Very nice for free! You can still hit the crowded bar / beach on the way back to the ship.

• 2 weeks later...

The beach chairs were free. There were no umbrellas but some chairs had clamshells.If you are the 1st or only ship there, no problem. We got there on Princess after Carnival and there were few chairs left. If you want a clamshell be one of the 1st ones off. i think we arrive this year at 7am! Not too many people in a rush to get to the beach at that time. The pool area is also free . They have a DJ and pool games. Swim up bar. there are shops and Jimmy Buffet Restaurant. The drink and food restaurants are $$$$$. Bring a bottle of H2o and get some cookies the night before and bring them with you. Your floating restaurant is right there so go back on if you are hungry. My DH and I preferred the beach. My DD loved the pool action. Too loud for us. I expect the pool area to be more crowded now with the flowrider. It's a nice relaxed port, with nobody trying to sell you anything. Not the most beatiful beach in the Caribean but not bad. If it gets too crowded for you walk 10 mins down the beach to a less crowded beach with a cheaper beach bar.

We were there in October (Crown Princess) and had no trouble finding a spot on the beach to relax...

We were the only ship in port, though. You might check this site to see if there will be any other ships in GT with you; I am sure that would make a difference.

1329968718_05Ourviewfromthebeach.jpg.8f0b1f84d2b3407754ff4cf96dde9ded.jpg

The whole island is a beach - to a first approximation, it's a large sandbar. There are fine beaches walking both north and south of the cruise center - south might be better for snorkeling as the coastline gets more interesting (watch out for the rocks - they're mostly smooth, but still hard). I brought back a lovely conch shell from that beach.

The beach and pool at the cruise center are free - Margaritaville is at the pool and makes their money on drinks and food. For shade, find a beach chair (free) under a tree, as they do charge to rent the covers for the beach chairs that provide shade.

Enjoy,

--David

• 4 years later...
Leaving Sunday on Carnival "Breeze"...would like to know a beach walkable from the Port in Grand Turks.

There is one right as you get off the ship. Walk through the cruise center and it's to your right. She basically docks at the beach

ImageUploadedByForums1385705279.360088.jpg.db572e54a480000fc95b5524a12092df.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1385705319.336179.jpg.fd96e0af9c806ff7290804d49833413d.jpg

This is the beach right behind me.

Leaving Sunday on Carnival "Breeze"...would like to know a beach walkable from the Port in Grand Turks.

The beach to your left is a very nice sandy beach. Very good for swimming.

The beach to the right is somewhat rocky and not good for swimming. Have not tried to snorkel there but that would be the best one to try.

01/18/2014 CARNIVAL BREEZE

01/19/2013 CARNIVAL FANTASY

01/07/2012 CARNIVAL DREAM

09/26/2010 CARNIVAL PRIDE

01/04/2009 COSTA FORTUNA

11/09/2008 CARNIVAL LEGEND

10/20/2007 CARNIVAL GLORY

10/28/2006 CARNIVAL TRIUMPH

12/05/2004 CARNIVAL MIRACLE

10/29/2000 PARADISE

10/01/1998 TROPICALE

01/17/1997 ECSTASY

09/29/1995 ECSTASY

• 2 weeks later...

something nobody seems to have mentioned.

Yes, beach beds & brollies are free, & the beach is right there by the ship.

But prices charge at the bar in the Carnival-controlled area are gross.

A bucket of six beers offered at 34 USD costs 40USD "including tax & service".

They add tax & service to advertised prices just like in the US.

But step just outside the Carnival-controlled area (100 yards to the left after you exit the pier) & the price for the same bucket of six is 24USD (plus a refunded 10USD for the bucket/opener). No problem buying there & bringing your bucket into the Carnival area.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull