4 to a room?

Does anyone have ideas to share regarding having 4 people in an inside cabin? Two adults and two teenagers, sailing on the Spirit to Bermuda in July. Travel agent said it would be $1500 more to get another inside room and we are not sure if the extra money would be worth it. Do you really spend that much time in the room other than sleeping and cleaning up? Thank you.

Does anyone have ideas to share regarding having 4 people in an inside cabin? Two adults and two teenagers, sailing on the Spirit to Bermuda in July. Travel agent said it would be $1500 more to get another inside room and we are not sure if the extra money would be worth it. Do you really spend that much time in the room other than sleeping and cleaning up? Thank you.

the only piece of advice i have on this is...it's tight if you are all in the room at the same time. obviously while sleeping...well ur sleeping. if anyone is a light sleeper...it may be an issue(?).

the thing that would concern me is the ability for your teens to get up to the top berths. it's not quite easy to get up/down from there...expecially if you are tall (or in my case...WIDE).

but if cost is a factor...i'm sure you can manage. afterall...you are there just to sleep.

Its going to be tight , but as you said , if you dont plan on spending any time other that sleeping you'll be fine.

It will litteraly be beds only plus the bathroom.

May I suggest those foam ear plugs ( there great ) since when you are sleeping you wont be more than 3 feet from any of the other three . ;)

Its going to be tight , but as you said , if you dont plan on spending any time other that sleeping you'll be fine.

It will litteraly be beds only plus the bathroom.

May I suggest those foam ear plugs ( there great ) since when you are sleeping you wont be more than 3 feet from any of the other three . ;)

and avoid eating beans and/or cabbage. hehehehehe.

This is so subjective and I'm sure will have a huge variance of opinions. But I have done it (4 adults in an inside cabin) and will NEVER do it again. (OK, never say never - the circumstances would have to be just so....like a free cruise or something.)

Part of the issue - how is the room configured? If there are twin beds against both side walls and bunks over both of them, that would be better. But we had 3 lower beds, which was basically one big bed. Wall to wall bed, with one upper bunk on one side. In order to get in or out of the bed you crawled in and out on the ends.

There was enough closet space for our stuff (as long as you pack on the lighter side) but we had a very messy teenager who could never put things away. Anyone getting up in the night to use the bathroom would always trip over something she'd plopped in the middle of the floor. Argh!

However, having said all that....if you go in with the attitude that your room is just for sleeping, then you will save money.

Good luck and have fun!

Anyone getting up in the night to use the bathroom would always trip over something she'd plopped in the middle of the floor.

yeah that was me one year...here i am, shacked up with my folks...3 to a room. me...30yrs old...and 250lbs...in the UPPER BERTH!!!

omg!!!

We were 4 to a room last week on the Jewel. Our kids are small, 4yr old and 15 months. While on the cruise we discussed what we would do as the children got older. We decided to try a suite in the next year or two then decide whether a second cabin would be cost effective.

I think I would give up an OV or balcony and book two adjoining interior cabins before trying to squeeze 4 adults in a cabin.

Don't forget in addition to having ONE TINY bathroom and nothing to sit on but the beds, lower beds at that, and NO where to change clothes you will also have suitcases for four people. most ships you keep that IN your cabin they do not USUALLY store them for you.

Now some of you could go to the Gym and shower there?

It will be extremely tight for four people. We had a balcony cabin earlier this month on the Jewel, larger than the inside,and it was still very, very tight for four people in the room (two adults and two teenagers). We went on the Spirit in 2005 and asked for an interior for four, ended up having to pay for the upgrade inside the ship, as the cabins do not have four beds (in Carnival they usually have two upper and two lower beds), on the Spirit, the inside cabins have two lowers, one upper and a mattress that is pulled every night from under one of the beds, however there is no space whatsoever to move within the room once this small mattress is pulled out. (I believe they call it a trunk bed or something to that effect), I call it a mattress.

Edited by floridacruiser63

It will be extremely tight for four people. We had a balcony cabin earlier this month on the Jewel, larger than the inside,and it was still very, very tight for four people in the room (two adults and two teenagers). We went on the Spirit in 2005 and asked for an interior for four, ended up having to pay for the upgrade inside the ship, as the cabins do not have four beds (in Carnival they usually have two upper and two lower beds), on the Spirit, the inside cabins have two lowers, one upper and a mattress that is pulled every night from under one of the beds, however there is no space whatsoever to move within the room once this small mattress is pulled out. (I believe they call it a trunk bed or something to that effect), I call it a mattress.

just as a reference in the future. Trundle Bed (sp?)

There are some larger inside cabins on the Spirit that accomodate 4. They are... 5035, 6035 and 6535 are 200 sf, 10031, 10531 and 10611 are 175 sf, 9703 and 9205 are 160 sf, and 9207 and 9203 are 190 sf.

I checked all but two and they all had one pullman and one pullout as the 3rd and 4th.

Edited by fridaythe13th

On a Carnival cruise, we once did 4 ADULTS in a room (and I'm "plus size") and we survived, so it is do-able :) We just figured out who took the longest to get ready and pretty much had a schedule of who showered at night vs. the morning, etc. So, it CAN be done.

We are cheap enough to be trying it again this upcoming August on the NCL Pearl.

Please see Post #8 from bakerintn on the following thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=948530&highlight=four+room

They have a picture of a configuration you can show your cabin steward, which gives each person a little breathing room and ability to get in and out of bed without literally laying on top of each other. I havent tried it myself, but I have the pics ready to hand to my cabin steward, so wanted to point it out, in case you wanted to give it a try too!

From what everyone says, 4 of us in the room will be very tight, but it can be done. I would love to have 2 rooms, but I would rather have the extra $1500 to spend on shore excursions or whatever. My kids are pretty good sports, we've slept in airports when flights have been cancelled so I'm sure we can handle this! We'll think of it as an adventure.

Thank you all for your input/suggestions and pictures!

Hi there, we did 4 to a cabin an inside teeny cabin and it was ok. It 2 adults and 2 teenagers. We were only in the cabin to sleep, shower, and change clothing so space was not an issue.

From what everyone says, 4 of us in the room will be very tight, but it can be done. I would love to have 2 rooms, but I would rather have the extra $1500 to spend on shore excursions or whatever. My kids are pretty good sports, we've slept in airports when flights have been cancelled so I'm sure we can handle this! We'll think of it as an adventure.

Thank you all for your input/suggestions and pictures!

I know you have made up your mind but I went to "your sailing" on the NCL site and found something interesting. When you check prices for 2 it comes up $959@. When you check for 4 it comes up as $1165 for the first 2 and $381 for 3/4. I also checked and one of the 200 sq ft cabins on deck 6 is still available. Happy cruising to you and your family!

Edited by fridaythe13th

I had the same question as the OP. Here is a link to a topic I created sometime ago. Check out reply #4. Great way to set up the room for 4!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=893765&highlight=

I will taking two teens to Bermuda with us so we are going to squeeze 4 of us in an inside cabin as well. Have fun!

Hi we did 4 in a mini suite a week ago on the Dawn and it worked out great. We had 2 adults and 2 teens. There was plenty of storage and with the balcony it gave extra room for people to hang out. There was also a privacy curtain between the couch area and the bed area so people could change on 1 side without bothering the others.

We also have done an inside with 4 - a few years ago and survived....we sure didn't spend a whole lot time in the cabin .

It was a little claustrophobic when all the beds were done up. But hey you're cruising and life is good!

I probably don't need to chime in here, with all the answers you've had already, but I will anyway. :) My situation was slightly different. It was a Celebrity ship and there were 3 adults (all mid-30s) in the one inside room.

We did o.k. Yes, it was tight. During the day, we tried not to all be in the room at the same time, when possible. Of course, the "extra" beds were put away during the day, but it was still a bit crowded. We really tried to stay organized and put as much away as possible.

As someone else said, it wasn't easy getting up and down that little ladder to the top bunk, and I'm tall, so I couldn't sit up properly up there, but it really was only for sleeping, so... and it should be easier for teenagers to climb up and down the ladder, I would think!

Good luck and have fun!!! :D

Well I can guarantee that with 4 in the cabin you won't be spending any time in the cabin and there will be a lot of grumpiness over messes.

I tend to spend a lot of time in the cabin but that's because I'd far rather read on a balcony than get frustrated over chair hogs and loud music around the pool.

Viv

I have no doubt that if cost were no object, you would enjoy having more room. However, $1500 is a lot of money, and I completely understand why you are doing 4 to a cabin. Yes, it will be tight. But you know that going in, and I'm sure you will be just fine.

A couple suggestions. Find out if the gym has showers, and if so, let your teens shower and dress there. That will make a huge difference when all of you are getting showered and dressed. Also, once you unpack, have the steward take your luggage somewhere and store it for you. Also, go to Walmart and buy an over the door shoe hanger. It's great for storing all those small items: camera, sunscreen, sunglasses, cell phones, medication...the list goes on and on and it free's up a LOT of space and really keeps the clutter down which is going to be important for you all to keep your sanity. :)

Hope you and your family have a fabulous trip!

CG

Edited by CruisnGram

We have taken 2 cruises, one on the Sun and another on the Jewel with our 2 teenage sons. We enjoyed all being in the same room. Lots of opportunities for talks. On the Jewel however the 4th bed comes out of the ceiling and did block the balcony. If you have a balcony it does give you more room.

I know you have made up your mind but I went to "your sailing" on the NCL site and found something interesting. When you check prices for 2 it comes up $959@. When you check for 4 it comes up as $1165 for the first 2 and $381 for 3/4. I also checked and one of the 200 sq ft cabins on deck 6 is still available. Happy cruising to you and your family!

To the OP...if you can get one of the 200 sq. ft. cabins on deck 6, GO FOR IT!!! We were in 6535 back in February and it is HUGE. It's also right near the elevator, making it easy to find your cabin. And if you are worried about noise there, we only heard commotion on the last night when they were taking the luggage from the hall; otherwise it was very quiet. We thought it was a great location.

One thing always pops up - one bathroom. We have been on the NCL Spirit, a great ship. The inside cabin for four is very small, very dark and depressing. We were in a inside cabin twice on the Spirit and that was enough for me. We had no choice we needed a HC cabin. (there was only the two of us). We had the best cruise ever on that ship.But the cabin was not for me. Maybe you should check around re: the price. Have you been on NLC before? There are all kinds of perks. Are you a union member, military, etc.. check these out.