Swine Flu in Mexico, is it safe to go. (Merged Threads)

AuntMimi

My uncle is on the Star Princess right now to Mexican Rivera. He said so far no change in itinerary. He said lots of hand disinfectant around but nothing else. He will keep me updated and I will post if I hear something further.

Yep, we are....

I am stuck with the airfare no matter what happens with the cruise.

I read where several airlines are allowing passengers to re-book scheduled flights to Mexico without penalty. I'm wondering if they would allow the same for scheduled flights to LA for a Mexico cruise. Might be worth checking out. We received airfare refunds after 9/11 for flights to FL that were booked with the intention of taking a transatlantic cruise that was cancelled.

Not just the cruise industry, but the entire travel industry didn't really need this right now. First, the economy, then the increased drug-related violence in certain Mexican towns, now this. I was among the first groups to return to China the season after bird flu, and I was amazed at how appreciative everyone there was that the tourists were returning. Even for China, the economic fallout from that was huge.

Please remember that Princess is looking out for the passenger's best interests and this situation is NOT their fault. Yes, it sucks to pay for a cruise and then not go to the ports that were advertised. But hey, you ARE on a cruise. I guess that I'd be bummed for a few minutes and then go have another cocktail and try to enjoy the heck out of my vacation!

Please remember that Princess is looking out for the passenger's best interests and this situation is NOT their fault. Yes, it sucks to pay for a cruise and then not go to the ports that were advertised. But hey, you ARE on a cruise. I guess that I'd be bummed for a few minutes and then go have another cocktail and try to enjoy the heck out of my vacation!

Hang on a second, while I agree if it was a case of going to St Lucia instead of Barbados, but this could well turn out to be a case of going to San Diego (where I would bet more than a few people on the cruise live), Catalina which is a day trip for most people in the LA basin and Ensenada which is a toilet, one that I happen to love but I am in the minority there,we also lose the warm weather.

So saying that hey your on a cruise is ok, but no not really.

I am trying to look on the bright side of things, but if Princess offers us a way out we are out, if we had wanted to do the Catalina run we would of booked on Carnival and saved ourselves $2000......

And just to be clear, that wasn't a personal attack, just having a civilized discussion because in the end, until Princess decides to tell us something all we can do is talk on here :D

I have called princess this morning about sailing out on Sapphire this Saturday...they still don't know. I have to say that although it is nice to cruise, and we knew they had the option to change ports of call, if we get stuck on the ship tooling around california in 60 degree weather we are going to be so disappointed. We want something warm, which is why we booked this,but even princess is saying they don't know, although the us travel advisory is for the next three months:(

I just got off the phone with the Princess personal relations manager, and yes, quote, " You can bank on NOT going to Mexico". They will be going to the cold California ports and staying close to the coast. I agree, this will by my 6th cruise and I love the on board experience, but come on, the high temps in Cali at this time of year will NOT keep it warm by the pool on deck.

According to the Personal Relations manager at Princess, they are preparing an update and will have it posted on the website by late afternoon. That will include any itinerary changes to the Sapphire Princess cruise for this Saturday.

That is basically the feeling in the roll call for this weeks upcoming Sapphire cruise, while we understand why Princess has done what they have done the fact that we may end up doing a Catalina cruise is not something to look forward to.

Oh well, let's see what they say in 3 1/2 hours, we will either be going bat s**t on here or applauding them for thinking about their customers.

I completely agree JetWet1 except that Ensenada is still Mexico...my guess is that the ship would just anchor there so they can get credit for a foreign port thus avoiding a fine.

While I do appreciate that Princess has to rapidly make arrangements for docking in new ports and this can be complicated, as a paying customer I would appreciate more communication! This is their business and they should have alternate plans in place for this kind of situation. If I did not look on CC today I would not even know that there was a possiblility of a destination change. I find this unacceptable. At the very least all customer service reps should be on the same page and say that changes in the itinerary are pending.

I also find it interesting that the Mariner of the Seas is in Cabo as we type and the passengers are ashore.

Probably be going bat S**T!!! There is no where else to go on the Cali side, unless the take us to Canada!!! The only places to go are in California, and I have been there. Oh well, a cruise is a cruise, but if you cant even sit at the pool because its too cold, that will SUCK!!:eek:

Ok, now I am Pi**ed off!!! Princess just changed the date on the post from yesterday and did not update ANYTHING!!! That to me is un acceptable, they need to let us know ***** is going on!!!

I am getting more fired up by the minute.

Sorry to vent, this is directed at Princess, not any of you!

They just updated it, Thanks Princess, Sorry to yell at ya!!!

Six Princess ships are currently scheduled for calls in Mexican ports through next month. In light of yesterday's CDC's travel health warning for Mexico, we have cancelled the two calls scheduled for Mexican ports today -- Puerto Vallarta (Sapphire Princess) and Cabo San Lucas (Coral Princess). Further, we have revised the itinerary for Sapphire Princess, replacing the Mexican ports with San Diego and Catalina. We hope that our passengers will understand that these changes were beyond our control and that we have provided them with an attractive, alternative itinerary. We are in the process of reviewing the other close-in sailings that include Mexican ports and making itinerary changes, and these details will be communicated by tomorrow.

Well, you have to yell at someone! :( I'm sure you're not the only one upset and blowing off steam!

Hopefully they can give you enough other things to make up for the ports you'll miss. Not sure how but maybe? :rolleyes:

Thank you for posting the update. "Attractive, alternative itinerary" if you don't live here!!! If I wanted to stay on a ship overnight I could stay on the Queen Mary. I know that is an exageration, but I am really disappointed.

I wonder what they will do with the Star.

Thank you for posting the update. "Attractive, alternative itinerary" if you don't live here!!! If I wanted to stay on a ship overnight I could stay on the Queen Mary. I know that is an exageration, but I am really disappointed.

I wonder what they will do with the Star.

Exactly, as I pointed out above, if you live in the area Catalina etc is not an attractive option.

Just talked to a very friendly Princess C/S agent, who confirmed the current cruise's itinerary change: San Diego, Ensanada, Catalina Island. Local temp is about 75F (day's high -- not the warm weather we've been craving for). She said Princess has not yet made any decision regarding the 05/02 ship's itinerary, but I'm sure it's going to be the same as the current changed itinerary. We live in Nor Cal, crusing to San Diego will be almost too funny... But on the other hand, no matter what, we will be still on vacation with three square meals served (and no dishwashing! :D). It may not be such a bad experience after all. In fact, we decided to go on a cruise for a "real vacation" -- no driving, no restaurant search, no packing and unpacking -- and we are not "activity-driven" people to begin with (my original plan was to sit inside and read all the books that I had "collected" hoping to find some time to read). The only disappointment is that we will have to wait for another opportunity to spend a day around the dolphins (we had booked for a "Dolphin Trainer for a Day" in Puerto Vallarta), but that, too, can wait. After all, a vacation is a vacation, and, IMHO, at a time when there are lots of people out of jobs and struggling, merely the fact that we can be on a vacation -- with jobs to return to -- is a HUGE blessing from God (Praise Jesus!! :)), be it in Mexico or in San Diego. So, I am just very grateful for my upcoming cruise (the Lord willing, of course! :)) and still look forward to it!

Looks like the folks in Santa Clarita are scrabbling! This was just posted at 10:30 PDT

"Six Princess ships are currently scheduled for calls in Mexican ports through next month. In light of yesterday's CDC's travel health warning for Mexico, we have cancelled the two calls scheduled for Mexican ports today -- Puerto Vallarta (Sapphire Princess) and Cabo San Lucas (Coral Princess). Further, we have revised the itinerary for Sapphire Princess, replacing the Mexican ports with San Diego and Catalina. We hope that our passengers will understand that these changes were beyond our control and that we have provided them with an attractive, alternative itinerary.

We are in the process of reviewing the other close-in sailings that include Mexican ports and making itinerary changes, and these details will be communicated by tomorrow."

Might be a bit disappointing but San Diego and Catalina are good alternatives. Although not as hot as Mexico, still nice and warm with highs predicted in the low to mid 60's. I't might not be that much fun for the SoCal folks but if you live there you probably should choose a cruise up here (Alaska) to escape the blistering summer heat and smog.

They just updated it, Thanks Princess, Sorry to yell at ya!!!

Six Princess ships are currently scheduled for calls in Mexican ports through next month. In light of yesterday's CDC's travel health warning for Mexico, we have cancelled the two calls scheduled for Mexican ports today -- Puerto Vallarta (Sapphire Princess) and Cabo San Lucas (Coral Princess). Further, we have revised the itinerary for Sapphire Princess, replacing the Mexican ports with San Diego and Catalina. We hope that our passengers will understand that these changes were beyond our control and that we have provided them with an attractive, alternative itinerary. We are in the process of reviewing the other close-in sailings that include Mexican ports and making itinerary changes, and these details will be communicated by tomorrow.

As far as I'm concerned the press is blowing this way out of proportion! Over 100,000 people die each year in the U.S. from the flu! We're not canceling but I sure hope if Princess decides to cancel the Mexican Ports they give us more Central American Countries or better yet Caribbean Islands rather than more sea days, we have 7 already which as far as I'm concerned is too much. We're only in Aruba 1/2 a day so 2 days would be great! (just one suggestion)!!!

Som

As far as I'm concerned the press is blowing this way out of proportion! Over 100,000 people die each year in the U.S. from the flu! We're not canceling but I sure hope if Princess decides to cancel the Mexican Ports they give us more Central American Countries or better yet Caribbean Islands rather than more sea days, we have 7 already which as far as I'm concerned is too much. We're only in Aruba 1/2 a day so 2 days would be great! (just one suggestion)!!!

Som

Just keep in mind that a ship can't just pull into a port or spend extra time there unless the arrangements can be made with the port authority. I am sure Princess is doing all they can do, but I wouldn't get my hopes up for any extended stay until announcements are made by Princess. Good Luck though! Just remember, it could be worse, you could have booked a cruise that had ALL Mexican ports, and been stuck!

Can anyone confirm if the Coral has cancelled all Mexico stops. My parents are on that cruise and 5 of the stops are in Mexico. I just checked the brigde cam and it said it was heading to Acapulco. I hope they allow them to sail in. It would suck to spend 13 of 19 days at sea.

Can anyone confirm if the Coral has cancelled all Mexico stops. My parents are on that cruise and 5 of the stops are in Mexico. I just checked the brigde cam and it said it was heading to Acapulco. I hope they allow them to sail in. It would suck to spend 13 of 19 days at sea.

For me, that many sea days would be a dream come true... :rolleyes:

Archived