What does this mean? Ship was full and now it's not??

SpankysMom

OK, I’m just not getting this whole “pulled the inventory off the self” concept.

Let’s start with maybe something everyone can agree on, that is all cruise lines what to sell every cabin on the ship for any given “open” cruise, right?

So then, why would that cruise line months in advance say “let’s not let any of the thousands of TA’s or us sell any inside or ocean view cabin”. Instead, let’s give all those cabins to one specific TA or group to sell exclusively. And if they don’t sell them all, no harm no foul. We will take them back last minute and sell them for pennies on the dollar.

Sorry, just makes no sense to me at all. Totally defeats the concept of selling out a cruise.

John

Because that's not really what happens. It doesn't make any sense at all for a cruise line to stop selling inventory just because they think they can get an agency to book a lot of it.

Sometimes the space opens back up in multiple categories after previously showing as sold out because they're just trying to get more bookings. Sometimes there were a lot of cancellations, the best way to fill them is to open space back up. And we all know the cruise lines over sell their ships so that they're less likely to sail empty... They can open space up in several categories and then move people around accordingly.

Yes, I'm sure its true that they sometimes make deals with agents but I don't think its on every sailing. That wouldn't work so well.

Oh, and group space pulls 90 days prior to departure per the HAL groups department. From what I have heard its VERY hard to hold on to your space any longer than that....

Sometimes the space opens back up in multiple categories after previously showing as sold out because they're just trying to get more bookings.....

Sorry, just not understanding closing cabins then open them back up gets more booksings?

Sometimes there were a lot of cancellations,....

Doesn't that develope when final payment is due? Why close bookings prior to that?

And we all know the cruise lines over sell their ships so that they're less likely to sail empty......

Never heard of this in my life. Are you saying just like airlines and if everyone shows up they bump you to a later cruise?

I have been trying to find that info also and have stumbled on the HAL pricing on its web site. Go into HAL website and put your cruise details in the cruise finder section. You will be asked to log in. Put your username and password in,hit continue or proceed to booking depends what comes up. You should then be shown a page headed Price Itinerary hit procedd which should take you into the cabin pricing and availibility.

Dont put your own booking ref in. Hope that works for you. Another Kiwi helping out the Aussies .

Happy Cruising.

I tried googling several different things...cheap cruises.....discount cruises...etc.

My favorite site did not come up but there are others that let you check inventory.

Just pick your date & catagory of a specific cruise and continue like you are going to book. Several different sites will then offer you particular cabin numbers for that catagory. That is when you go back & pick another catagory & repeat the process.

This is just a quick way to check what catagorys are open.

I still say it is the economy. You could not come anywhere near this seasons prices last year.

The cruiselines home sites will never match the best internet sites prices.

Sometimes there are specific catagories available on the internet that the cruiseline site does not offer.

Archived