Seeing the Rhine from Amsterdam

I am interested in seeing some of the Rhine and it looks like the closest port to it that I will be in will be Amsterdam. Is it worth seeing the Rhine in that area? I know there are some beautiful stretches south more inland, but was wondering if it would be worth a trip to see the northern part of it closest to Amsterdam.

I am interested in seeing some of the Rhine and it looks like the closest port to it that I will be in will be Amsterdam. Is it worth seeing the Rhine in that area? I know there are some beautiful stretches south more inland, but was wondering if it would be worth a trip to see the northern part of it closest to Amsterdam.

The Rhine isnot in the Amsterdam area. Amsterdam is close to IJsselmeer (once Zuiderzee). Around IJsselmeer you find former fishingvillages like Volendam, Marken, Spakenburg etc.

Rhine flows more to the east - around the Arnhem/NIJmegen area.

After splitting in The Netherlands the river gets different names, like around Rotterdam it is called "Nieuwe maas" where it is mostly an industrial area.

I think the nicest area for Rhine is in Germany, more or less around and south of Dusseldorf/Cologne.

Whatever else you do, try to be on deck when you come through the sea lock into the canal system, if you enjoy waterways-mind you, that can be very early. The captain will probably tell you when you're sailing back out. The whole experience is just so very Dutch-masters of the inland waterways-jocap.

Oh okay, I just looked on google maps and tried to follow the Rhine from Germany-I didn't realize that it split into different named rivers up north, and it sounds like the part of it worth seeing will be too far away. thanks for the info.

Archived