Hi! Newbie with a toddler! Have Q's

mom2sofia

Hello everyone! It's my first post here and I have a ton of questions. I've been reading everyone's post trying to put together a plan of action for our first cruise with our toddler (she'll be 19 months by the cruise in June). We live in Miami, so airfare is not an issue. Here are a few questions I have for you all:

1. What kind of room should I book? it would be for me, my hubby, and my daughter. Some people have told me to use a the crib they offer, or to take a pack n play (we have the large square graco), or to get a room with the pullout sofa. so,

2. What would you do with a 1.5 yr old?

3. What cruiseline? My hubby works for Amer. Airlines, so we usually have discounts on cruises, but we'd like something that will give us maximum bang for our buck, as well as really great activities for our daughter.

4. Can a Disney cruise actually be beat by another cruiseline? I don't mind going to orlando (4-hr drive for us), but Hubby is hearing from buddies at work that RCL can be better for families...

I'm so confused! HELP! Any insights will be helpful, along with whatever you think I should take with me for my little girl :)

Book the largest room you can afford---cruise ship cabins are fairly small--nowhere near as large as a hotel room. You'll need the space! And, try to get a balcony so you and hubby have someplace "to be" after you put your daughter to bed---you don't want to sit in a dark cabin just because your child is sleeping.

Can't help you with the bedding...most ships provide P&Ps--if she can sleep on a sleep sofa, that would take up less space during the day....

Except on Disney, the other mass market lines don't offer much for kids under 3--unless she's potty--trained and out of diapers, no pool access, no kid's club. Some lines do offer in-cabin babysitting...if they do, take advantage of that! And, Disney does have larger cabins than most!

All the mass-market lines are great for families (we all have our favorites here ;)). Disney will give you a bigger cabin, with activities for your DD. But, they are much, much more expensive than the others. I would stick with the 4 major lines: NCL, Royal Caribbean, Carnival, and Princess. The other lines (Celebrity, HAL, etc) are quickly becoming more family-friendly. But, IMHO, they're still behind the times.

Hi,

We just got back yesterday from sailing on the Carnival Pride with our 16-month old. I was kind of nervous because I had read some bad experiences on this site and the Carnival site. But it was great! My husband also works for an airline so I know where you're coming from. We got a balcony room that adjoined to my mom's room which is definitely nice to have the balcony to sit on after she is in bed. Also, our daughter loved being on the balcony. We brought a small blow up pool and she played in that out there. I didn't think she would be allowed in the pool but we saw other babies in the pool so we joined them. No one ever said anything. The crib they provided was fine, no need to bring a PnP. The dining room staff was great with her. Most days we spent walking all around the ship and saying hi to people. There were a ton of babies and toddlers on board. Lots of fun! Hope this helps a bit!

Hi,

We just got back yesterday from sailing on the Carnival Pride with our 16-month old. I was kind of nervous because I had read some bad experiences on this site and the Carnival site. But it was great! My husband also works for an airline so I know where you're coming from. We got a balcony room that adjoined to my mom's room which is definitely nice to have the balcony to sit on after she is in bed. Also, our daughter loved being on the balcony. We brought a small blow up pool and she played in that out there. I didn't think she would be allowed in the pool but we saw other babies in the pool so we joined them. No one ever said anything. The crib they provided was fine, no need to bring a PnP. The dining room staff was great with her. Most days we spent walking all around the ship and saying hi to people. There were a ton of babies and toddlers on board. Lots of fun! Hope this helps a bit!

Hey Igels...Im the twins mom from the cruise and I totally agree with you, the kids had a great time. ANd my kids loved playeing with Olive. We also took the kids to the camp one day for the babysitting and they were fine, actually the only 2 there. We also had adjoining rooms with my parents, but my kids slept in thier stroller at night til we were ready to go back to our cabin. APparently I am getting some backlash on other boards cause I let my diapered children in the pools knowing it was against the rules, but hey i paid my way and it was my vacation too, if I was asked to take them out I would have, but I wasnt and they loved it, the pool was great cause of the shallow splash area. I also agree with the crib....we had 2 cribs in our room and the steward would set it up at night and take it down in the morning everyday, and they kids actually slept better than they do in the pnp!!!

Hoep you guys had a safe trip home!!!!

Hi!

As much as I would love to do a Disney cruise one day, I just can't justify the added expense. Sure, there will be more activities and slightly larger accommodations for your 19-month-old, but I think at that age, just all the new places and people will be fascinating her.

Additionally, even though she won't be allowed into the pools or the childcare program, cruiselines like Carnival do have "Family play time" scheduled for the under 2 crowd during the day so you can use the camp facilities. Another great idea I read here was to let her run around an empty disco during the day and bringing a bottle of bubbles for play on the upper decks.

PLEASE don't break the rules about not allowing diapered children in the pools. Cruiselines don't create those rules just to be mean or to discriminate against young children. It is for the health and welfare of EVERYONE on board.

We all know how quickly viruses and diseases can spread on a cruise ship, and it would be a shame for passengers - young and old alike - to get sick just because someone took an attitude of "it's MY vacation and I'll do whatever I want, so #^$% the rules."

A better alternative would be to find a cruise ship with a splash park that permitted diapered children to play, rather than disrespectfully endangering other passengers.

people really need to realx about the pool thing. I mean seriously I understand the reasoning but it is just as big a risk that a 3 or 4 year old who is potty trained could have an accident, or for that matter a lazy adult who chooses to not get out to use the bathroom.

"We all know how quickly viruses and diseases can spread on a cruise ship, and it would be a shame for passengers - young and old alike - to get sick just because someone took an attitude of "it's MY vacation and I'll do whatever I want, so #^$% the rules." "

I dont beleive I used any profanity as the previous poster implied, and I said I would have removed them if asked, so take the issue up with the cruiseline not the passengers trying to have a good time, its amazing how people have no problem "smuggling" liquor and thinking its ok to break that rule, but then bash parents for simply trying to enjoy themselves.

The issue is not breaking the rules. It has to do with health and safety. The pools are not chlorinated. So, if a child does have an accident, the cruise ship personnel will close the pool, drain it, scrub it, and then fill it back up again. That has been posted here many times. And, a diapered (or swimmers) baby will more than likely have an accident. An older child who is potty trained is less likely.

Trace, I don't think Lady Jag was referring to you specifically. I believe she was referring to cruisers with bad attitudes in general.

its amazing how people have no problem "smuggling" liquor and thinking its ok to break that rule, but then bash parents for simply trying to enjoy themselves.

Last time I checked, smuggled liquor won't make MY kids sick...but feces in the pool would. I can't even begin to tell you how selfish your actions were, so I won't.

I think for once I am speechless. :eek:

I would NEVER EVER use selfish as a word to describe me, so please refrain from judging me!! I am so over this, I was trying to give some other parents insight on our experience with our trip, sorry, I will no longer be responding to this, bash away....but please bash all, not just me cause I am the only one who will admit and defend my actions, I mallowed my children in with the other 10 or so diapered children.

I would NEVER EVER use selfish as a word to describe me, so please refrain from judging me!! I am so over this, I was trying to give some other parents insight on our experience with our trip, sorry, I will no longer be responding to this, bash away....but please bash all, not just me cause I am the only one who will admit and defend my actions, I mallowed my children in with the other 10 or so diapered children.

Any way you look at it your ACTIONS were selfish. And you could have put your own children in harms way by allowing them to swim in a non chemically treated pool with high levels of bacteria. Defend all you want. You were told about the pools (by me no less) before you took this cruise.

Yet you chose to put other guests in harm's way.

If you were coming here for the first time after your cruise and said "I had NO idea the babies couldn't swim in the pool so my babies DID" -- you would have gotten a completely different response from us.

Instead you come here and say "I paid for it, it was MY vacation" Well, so did the other 2,800 onboard. Let's hope they aren't all sick this week with giardia or something. :eek:

Ok, so then you AND the parents of the 10 or so diapered children were very selfish and VERY lucky you didn't get everyone sick by letting your children swim in poop.

And there is no defense for your actions. It was wrong to put diapered children in the salt water pools. It is STILL wrong to do that. It will be wrong to do it next time, too, when you decide to prove your non-point by breaking the rules again.

Back to the OP - Don't forget to pack children's sunblock and a hat for your little one. I think Bullfrog makes a lotion that goes on purple and dries clear so that you can be sure you covered all of your baby's delicate skin.

now you are being a drama queen. Selfish signing off!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA me the drama queen? Well thank you. :D

And I still see your green light on, which means you must be still reading. ;)

Mom2Sophia - sorry your first thread went a little haywire. Let me see if I can answer your questions...

--IF your budget allows, go for a balcony. When sailing with young children who go to bed early, you don't want to have to sit in the cabin and tip toe around once the baby goes to sleep.

--Your pack n play would work well if you want to take one. It might be easier since you are driving. Some cruise lines do provide pack n plays. All will provide either a crib or a pack n play.

--Best ship, it depends. Some cruise lines have better programs for younger ones. You are in Miami so doing RCCL Liberty of the Seas would be a great option. They have an infant water play area. They have in cabin sitting. They have Royal Tots program 3 times a day for you to go with your child.

--Disney is a wonderful option but not necessary. I like the RCCL Freedom class better. And you have one sitting there in Miami.

Hi There,

We will be cruising in October with our daughter who will be 20 months at time on the Liberty of the Seas. One of the reasons why we chose this ship/class was because they have a baby splash area that allows swim diapers. We have also been on 3 other RCI cruises prior to having a child and always had a blast. We booked a jr. suite (it is also our 5 yr anniversary) so we would have additional space for the crib/pack and play (which we requested from the cruise line) and space for us to relax during nap time, etc. Hope that helps!

We are cruising this coming week on the Carnival Freedom. It will be our third family cruise but our first with our baby girl...she will be 17 months.

I am very upset by the fact that some cruisers justify letting their toddlers swim in the pools, "just because others are doing it."

I will not let my diapered child in the pool and would hope that others would respect this rule so as not to ruin the pool for others, as I have three older chidlren that love swimming and with everything going on with communicable diseases, it is not fair to ruin their fun.

I have really benefited from the posts here as I finally feel like I am covered for all the required packing my toddler needs, so thank you to all the helpful posters.

For others with traveling toddlers, I did want to share...

I picked up a little something for my baby girl yesterday to use on the plane, and probably in the dining room...I got it at Babies R Us and it is by Crayola and is called Tadoodles Water Splash. It is a little "marker" that you fill with water and it is attached to a two sided board that they "draw" on, so no losing it. It is imilar to those larger Aqua Mats, but in travel form. I think she is going to love it ... I am hiding it from her for now so it will be new.

Of course you wouldn't describe yourself that way. You are too ignorant and self-absorbed into thinking the entire world revolves around you and your crotch-fruit. Its people like you that give all parents a bad name among those without children. And people like you that give American travelers a bad name around the world. And of course you don't care what everyone else says because only you matter. And, of course, the old "well it's my vacation and I'll do whatever I want" refrain is always used by the most poorly behaved people.

Though, I take comfort in knowing your children will most likely turn out as ill-mannered and ignorant as their mother which is going to make for lots of misery for you when they get older. But hey it'll be "their life and they'll do whatever they want" :D

I picked up a little something for my baby girl yesterday to use on the plane, and probably in the dining room...I got it at Babies R Us and it is by Crayola and is called Tadoodles Water Splash. It is a little "marker" that you fill with water and it is attached to a two sided board that they "draw" on, so no losing it. It is imilar to those larger Aqua Mats, but in travel form. I think she is going to love it ... I am hiding it from her for now so it will be new.

Yes, my daughter has a couple of Travel AquaDoodles that are very similar. One is a small Sesame Street flip-book style that reveals color when you use the water marker on it. The other is the standard book-sized blank board similar to the one you describe.

Another great mess-free toy are ColorWonders markers and pads. The special markers color only on the special paper, so there's no worries that little ones will color themselves or anything around them.

I do have those mess free markers/paper on my final "to buy" list...I couldn't find them at the store I was at yesterday. I think she will love them.

The other great tip I found on this board was the disposable bibs...they were hard to find but I finally did and I think they are going to be a lifesaver, as my baby girl has decided she only likes to feed herself now.

I have experience with a 6 month old on a cruise...and in about 1.5 months, I'll have experience with 4 kids on a cruise :eek:

Here's my non-clothes packing list that I've gotten so far from reading these boards:

swim shoes

over the door shoe thingy (OMG this is great...get a clear plastic one and it will give you so much more space)

disposable bibs

sippy cups and dish soap

look for disposable sippy cups

scented diaper throw away bags

straws (My 1 year old can drink from a straw, I thought if I kept a stash of these with me, then I wouldn't have to worry about the sippy cups and cleaning those in the bathroom sink)

cash for babysitter

pack and play sheet (we're going to use their pack and play, but I'd rather have my own sheet)

portable DVD player

DSs

baby tylenol

beach toys

baby bjorn

and now....

mess free markers and paper.

Feel free to add to my list!

Some people have posted to take a kiddie pool and put on the balcony. I thinking about getting a cheap one to leave on the on the ship after the crusie. But I am not sure how you would fill it up out there. We have one of those travel aquadoodles as well. I did not think to take that but now I have that is a good idea. I was going to take crayons and coloring book or the markers and books that are mess free. I tried the finger paints but my son thinks he can get the stuff and dug his finger in them so that will not work for him. I thouht carnival had kiddie pools for little kids to go on the ship so I am checking into that more myself. I thought I seen one on my last cruise but not sure if it was ever open.

Some people have posted to take a kiddie pool and put on the balcony. I thinking about getting a cheap one to leave on the on the ship after the crusie. But I am not sure how you would fill it up out there.

Balcony isn't as easy as just taking it up to the pool deck. You can use a few buckets of water (from the pool) and it's filled. Then to empty it, just look for a shower drain or ask a crew member for the closest janitor's sink to empty the water into it, again using the buckets.

I have experience with a 6 month old on a cruise...and in about 1.5 months, I'll have experience with 4 kids on a cruise :eek:

Here's my non-clothes packing list that I've gotten so far from reading these boards:

swim shoes

over the door shoe thingy (OMG this is great...get a clear plastic one and it will give you so much more space)

disposable bibs

sippy cups and dish soap

look for disposable sippy cups

scented diaper throw away bags

straws (My 1 year old can drink from a straw, I thought if I kept a stash of these with me, then I wouldn't have to worry about the sippy cups and cleaning those in the bathroom sink)

cash for babysitter

pack and play sheet (we're going to use their pack and play, but I'd rather have my own sheet)

portable DVD player

DSs

baby tylenol

beach toys

baby bjorn

and now....

mess free markers and paper.

Feel free to add to my list!

These would go under the "nice to have if you have room" category:

- Toddler utensils (baby spoons and forks)

- Pipe cleaners (easy to carry, you get a lot for a buck, and you can shape them into all sorts of characters and animals)

- Mesh bag (like a laundry bag) to carry pool/beach toys to and from the pool/beach.

- Baby shampoo/bath wash that's tear-free

I think the best bang for your buck in Norwegian, they are priced very well and child friendly. We never felt out of place with two little children and the kids crew was great (2 years and up). We have done it in different sized rooms, even the smallest interior cabin-where there's a will, there's a way! They will provide a pack-n-play, you must bring your own p-n-p sheet. I have a kids necessities packing list and pics of our small rooms with the p-n-p and another toddler. Have fun!

Archived