Tell me it will be ok (Sitka over Skagway)

rubytue

My parents and I talked about doing this cruise over Christmas, and we booked in late Jan. With my father getting up in age, and us living 10 hours away, I'm looking forward to a week together. I asked him several times what he wanted to do, and he gave the old "anything, I just want to go to Alaska with my daughter." :o Anyway, last night, he asked if we are going on the Yukon Rail. :( He sounded so disappointed when I said we'll be in Sitka, not Skagway. Turned out, its one thing he really wants to do. *sigh* Of course, he should have mentioned this months ago, but I'm feeling terrible

While the railroad is a great excursion in Skagway (I've been on it 3 times), last year we went to Sitka instead of Skagway and I loved it! Seemed less touristy than the other ports. I loved the Sea Otter Quest shore excursion and the scenery around Sitka is gorgeous!

Only downside is that it is a tender port--but our shore excursion actually picked us up at the ship which saved a bunch of time. Nice touch! Shopping there was good and I got some great Russian nesting dolls and Christmas ornaments. Fewer people get to Sitka on cruises so that makes it kind of special !

When it comes to authenticity and scenic beauty, Sitka has it over Skagway hands down. It's one of the prettiest towns in SE Alaska with some of the nicest people you will find anywhere in Alaska. Easy to get around and nowhere near as touristy as Skagway.

Thanks everyone. I'm still feeling bad. Mostly b/c I just have a feeling I won't get many more chances to spend quality time with him :( But, I think we'll all have a great time :)

Thanks everyone. I'm still feeling bad. Mostly b/c I just have a feeling I won't get many more chances to spend quality time with him :( But, I think we'll all have a great time :)

Believe me I totally understand what you mean. My dad is 82 and wonderfully fit and young at heart (and I am soooooo thankful for that!), and yet it breaks my heart to disappoint him in any way. So as I see it, your challenge is to try to find something else that he will love instead!;)

If I could choose one port in Alaska to visit again, it would be Sitka. It is small and charming, while to me Skagway seems like a movie set, very "false" and "touristy". Sorry your dad won't get to do the WP&Y but Sitka is a wonderful port. Have a look at all the excursions that are available for Sitka. Even consider the shuttle and seeing parts of the town at your own pace. Fewer ships call on Sitka, so it is much less overrun with tourists, another huge plus!

I think your Dad will be so thrilled to be traveling with you, he won't care in the end where he visits. And while I haven't gone on our Alaska cruise yet, I am really looking forward to visiting Sitka. Maybe he would enjoy going on a tour to see Sea Otters or visiting the Raptor Rehabilitation Centre.

Whatever you do, you'll enjoy it because you are together.

Have fun!

Have you passed final payment already? If you haven't, you can easily cancel the cruise and choose one that goes to Skagway. Even if it means changing flights and paying the change fees, if this is something you really want to do with your dad, I would go for it.

I did love the train ride, but as others have already said, there is so much else to see that your dad should still have a great time.

Enjoy your trip, no matter what you do. I can't imagine someone not liking Alaska.

Of course, he should have mentioned this months ago, but I'm feeling terrible

I'm not sure why you're "taking this on" as his disappointment is due to his silence, not anything you've done. As folks have mentioned here, Sitka is beautiful and has much to offer. He's a big boy...he'll work through it.

Sitka is our favorite port too - it's like a real Alaskan town - not just jewelry shops from the Caribbean and souvenirs. I also recommend the Raptor Center if you're not taking a boat ride there. And if he has a Golden Age Pass (or whatever it's called now) for those over 62, he can get himself and three others into the Bishop's House and the Totem Pole Park for free (if he doesn't have one, he can buy it at the first National Park place he hits. It's also good for the Southeast Discovery Center run by the Forestry service in Ketchikan.). And it might be raining in Skagway, and he wouldn't see anything from the train anyway.

It was the Sea Otter Quest that picked us up at the ship. We were gathered in the lounge and went down the stairs as a group like you always do for excursions at tender ports. I thought we were getting onto the tender, until I looked around and saw it was the excursion boat. Don't know if they always do that or not... we were on Celebrity Mercury.

I don't think it was a long tender ride though when we were coming back to the ship. Couldn't have been more than 5 or 10 minutes and we had some pretty nasty waves that day.

Archived