Getting to the Acropolis - Hip Injury

B_Stephens

Hello, My wife is dealing with a hip injury and needs to avoid alot of steps etc. until it heals. She wants to go the the Acropolis.

What would be the best way to go from the Port to the Acropolis on a early Monday morning, and avoiding as many steps etc. as possible? (what would be the closest point we could get to if by taxi...am assuming taxi would be the least strenous way to get there).

Appreciate any advice from those who have done this before.

Thank you.

Hello, My wife is dealing with a hip injury and needs to avoid alot of steps etc. until it heals. She wants to go the the Acropolis.

What would be the best way to go from the Port to the Acropolis on a early Monday morning, and avoiding as many steps etc. as possible? (what would be the closest point we could get to if by taxi...am assuming taxi would be the least strenous way to get there).

Appreciate any advice from those who have done this before.

Thank you.

There should be no shortage of taxis at the port. At the Acropolis there is an elevator that will take you to the top. I think that a taxi would be your best bet. There was a gal on our cruise to Athens that was confined to an electric scooter - and she went to the top. There is an email link on my train site - email me and I can get you particulars.

As GSPLover mentioned, there is an (open air) elevator. One of the advantages for travelers in the growth of the EU is longer hours and stronger access requirements. Please note, that taxis can take you right up (well very close) to this elevator but they will often tell you that they can not and tell you to walk from where they want to let you off. Don't fall for this; scream, yell, threaten with the tourist police, whatever.

If your wife is walking (not in chair or scooter) for the visit, please make sure she is very careful. Rain is unlikely in summer, but just a little (or a spill of some sort) makes the surface like ice. Remember, you are walking on marble that has been polished with millions of feet for thousands of years. the same warning goes for most of the sidewalks (pavements) in Athens.

Athens is one of the few European cities (Prague being the other one) where, if not taking public transportation, I routinely pre-arrange a car. Athen's taxi drivers have a well-earned reputation for ripping people off.

I read last fall on the Athens forum of sister website tripadvisor that the elevator had to be pre-arranged, and that you could not just arrive there and utilize it.

However, I have no direct experience.

Hirolift is temporarily inoperative!! before cruise call: +30 210 3214172 or send me a PM and I'll ask for you..

Fafos, We will be there on Monday, May 11th.........do you think it will be operable by then? If this lift is not available, is there any other option for my wife.......I know she would just love to get to the Parthenon. Thank you for your reply.

Also: Thank you to all others who responded to this post...the information you have provided is greatly appreciated.

Brian

Fafos, We will be there on Monday, May 11th.........do you think it will be operable by then? If this lift is not available, is there any other option for my wife.......I know she would just love to get to the Parthenon. Thank you for your reply.

Also: Thank you to all others who responded to this post...the information you have provided is greatly appreciated.

Brian

I'll call them tommorow and ask them is have fix it until May 11th..

Elevator is work but the hirolift has a problem and will be hard go from walking area to elevator with a chair...

Elevator is at North EXIT!! taxi can't go to this side.. must stop at central entry and walking to the exit for use elevator..

you can read more info and a map here: http://www.yppo.gr/files/g_423.pdf

I call the and their answer is:

hirolift is out of order but they trying to fix it.. hirolift can used only from persons in a wheelcair and with disability card..

if disability is over 67% and has disability card will help you in the elevator ... if you have a disability but is not in a wheelchair should be waiting for visitors to climb to a wheelchair and then go help your wife..

A note to add to Fafos very helpful posts (thanks!)

"hirolift" is a stair climber thingy. It goes up at an angle (smaller models are commonly retrofitted for getting up and down stairs in homes. It is a German firm.

just to reiterate above, we were at the Acropolis 2 years ago, I was a couple of months of recovery after a broken bone in my foot. I found it to be lethal in terms of all the pot holes and slippy surfaces so do take very good care.

Terry

One would need a doctor's note, I think. Our guide did drive me to the entrance instead of making me climb up the road , but I was told that if I wasn't in a wheel chair, I could not use the elevator. It was raining and truly was slick. Be careful. Nancy

One would need a doctor's note, I think. Our guide did drive me to the entrance instead of making me climb up the road , but I was told that if I wasn't in a wheel chair, I could not use the elevator. It was raining and truly was slick. Be careful. Nancy

Everyone's posts have been very helpful. My wife is getting a note from her doctor today, and hopefully this will help if we get to the elevator and are allowed to use it. She is not in a wheelchair, but we have seen the pictures of the Acropolis and how high the Parthenon is on the hill/mountain, so want to do everything in advance to prepare for this so we can have a good experience when there.

Hopefully also no rain the day we visit.......we put some tile in a bathroom several years back, and I'm still kicking myself for not making sure it was more skid proof.....add a couple drops of water to the tile and oh my gosh.....its slip city!

Don't worry about weather.. after May 10th the weather is clear (maybe some days has some clouds) and the temp. will be over 75 F (and every day add 2-3 degrees more).

Get water from ship!! don't buy at Acropolis shops!!

Attention to your wallets! we have some wizards here!!:p

Visit the Archeological museum of Athens (is different than Acropolis Museum) at Patision street.. you will see many exhibits from all Greek archeological sites.

if you want taste the real Greek recipes go for lunch at "Mpairaktaris" (Monastiraki area, under Acropolis)

Everyone's posts have been very helpful. My wife is getting a note from her doctor today, and hopefully this will help if we get to the elevator and are allowed to use it. She is not in a wheelchair, but we have seen the pictures of the Acropolis and how high the Parthenon is on the hill/mountain, so want to do everything in advance to prepare for this so we can have a good experience when there.

Hopefully also no rain the day we visit.......we put some tile in a bathroom several years back, and I'm still kicking myself for not making sure it was more skid proof.....add a couple drops of water to the tile and oh my gosh.....its slip city!

Why don't you ask the ship, very politely, if you can borrow a wheelchair for the day? They may not let you, but it is worth a try. Another possibility is that there may be a company that will rent you a wheelchair and meet you at the ship with it. Check out some of the disabled travel sites.

Have a GREAT cruise!

• 1 year later...

Archived