Would you? (cabin offer)......

pandi77

I need some advice...

I have had an AE (aft) penthouse booked for almost a year now and could poentially upgrade to an AB penthouse for free.

I have looked at the deck plans and remembered cc members reccomending the side (rather than the bow) facing ABs due to wind in prior post but am still undecided.

There are a lot of fans of the aft (AE) rooms and i've heard a lot of people rave about the tub with a picture window over the water in the AB cabins too!

It looks like the AB is twice the square footage as the AE but he AE has a bigger balcony.Are there any other perks with the AB I should consider?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have to decide very quickly!

We are onthe Gem,

It seems from some thread searches i've read some osters that believe unless you are getting an upgrade to the courtyard or the owner's suite with 2 balconies to just stay put.

What do you think?

Thanks

Penthouse Larger

Separate bedroom with queen-sized bed, floor to ceiling glass doors that open to private balcony, living and dining area, bedroom, private bath with whirlpool tub, separate shower, small second bedroom with private bath and shower, CD/DVD library, refrigerator, safe, television, music console, phone, hairdryer.

Avg sq ft cabin: 492 Balcony: 54

On Decks: Deck 11</I>

JEWEL-AB.gif

AE

Penthouse

Separate bedroom with queen-sized bed, floor to ceiling glass doors that open to private balcony, living and dining area, private bath with tub and shower, CD/DVD library, refrigerator, safe, television, music console, phone, hairdryer.

Avg sq ft cabin: 294 Balcony: 144

Cabin size for category AC ranges from 294 to 357 square feet with 144 to 266 square foot balcony. Cabin size for category AE is 286 square feet plus 65 square foot balcony.

On Decks: Deck 10</I> Deck 9</I> Deck 8</I>

JEWEL-AC.gif

We are onthe Gem,

It seems from some thread searches i've read some osters that believe unless you are getting an upgrade to the courtyard or the owner's suite with 2 balconies to just stay put.

What do you think?

Thanks

I must agree keep it , the perks are the same and if you are balcony fans keep the AE . The AB balcony is small ( imhop). The AB is great if you have kids and need the privacy . And it has a really cool bathroom , but again Im a huge aft fan. As a matter of fact we just came off the Star ( in an AB ) and I missed not being on the stern.

This is hard one! I was previously booked in an AE on the Pearl a few weeks ago but got upsold to an A4 CY room. Would take that deal in a second again! There is no courtyard access with the AB but that room will be a lot bigger and the set up of the bathroom is awesome. Basically I think it comes down to the larger aft balcony in the AE or having a huge bathroom with a picture window over the tub and in the shower. Also, the showers in the AB have the shower head on the ceiling and it is like being in a rainforest! Awesome. Not sure if they are like that in the AEs.

I was so looking forward to the AE aft on the last cruise so in this scenario I would probably keep that...can you call back and see if they have any A3s or A4s to put you in? That would be a no brainer!

It also depends on how much they are asking...if it seems like a stretch then I would stick with the AE as well.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide! You can't lose.

I will hold out unless they offer a courtyard villa or owner's suite.

Any thoughts regarding those two cabin types? Should I hold on to the Aft suite over those too? Seems like those rooms might have some additional offerings to consider if the offer is right!

Thanks again!

In the future, I will probably always book AE or AD (even though I haven't stayed in one yet I think the suite perks make it worth it) unless I magically win the lottery and can afford the courtyard suites. I would jump at an upsell to one of the higher end suites if I was lucky enough to get one again.

If you get an upsell offer to the one of the courtyard suites or owner's suites I would take it if you can swing it money wise. Having CY access is like being on your own luxury cruise. You can eat Cagney's for breakfast and lunch out there and it is a quiet place to relax. When you are feeling like a livelier setting you can go to other parts of the ship. Plus the hot tub there is ALWAYS open...even at 2 am.

Probably got it because I booked so early the price I paid is the same as the AB price currently.

Also I know the cabin I selected is "prime realestate" as some would say...lol. They would have no problem making some bucks off that cabin :-)

I will be doing my last negotiations tomorrow and will let you know!

Thanks for the helpful advice, the rain shower sounds really nice!

I would take that in a mini second! I prefer the separate great bathroom on the AB and would give up the aft without a doubt. But then again, we are not that big on the wonders of an aft facing cabin.

Perks are the same.

We've been in both. I would keep the AE, but my husband loved the AB.

The AB is simply gorgeous, and the bathroom is the best part. The AE bathroom is small, much like those in the balconies and minisuites, although a little bigger than those.

One of the things that I really liked in the AB was the wood on the walls and the furniture, which is cherry. The wood throughout the AC, AD and AE cabins is very dark.

I like the location of the AEs much better. Not only do you have the wonderful view from the stern, but it is much quieter, as the only people who come back there have cabins back there.

For us, the location at the stern of the ship was perfect, because we liked being just a few floors below the buffet and Great Outdoors Cafe. If mobility is an issue, the AB cabins are a little closer to midships.

Given all of the above, if we were offered an upsell to an AB and already had an AE or AD penthouse suite, we'd stay put.

Here are some photos of both suites:

AE on the Jewel

AB on the Star

We've been in both. I would keep the AE, but my husband loved the AB.

The AB is simply gorgeous, and the bathroom is the best part. The AE bathroom is small, much like those in the balconies and minisuites, although a little bigger than those.

One of the things that I really liked in the AB was the wood on the walls and the furniture, which is cherry. The wood throughout the AC, AD and AE cabins is very dark.

I like the location of the AEs much better. Not only do you have the wonderful view from the stern, but it is much quieter, as the only people who come back there have cabins back there.

For us, the location at the stern of the ship was perfect, because we liked being just a few floors below the buffet and Great Outdoors Cafe. If mobility is an issue, the AB cabins are a little closer to midships.

Given all of the above, if we were offered an upsell to an AB and already had an AE or AD penthouse suite, we'd stay put.

Here are some photos of both suites:

AE on the Jewel

AB on the Star

I am voting for the AB which is fabulous!! The deciding factor to me is the size of the balcony--if you want a big one, keep what you have. For the cabin--AB is wonderful. As for the Courtyard Villa--same cabin as the AB, and a small balcony--but you have the courtyard...

I need some advice...

I have had an AE (aft) penthouse booked for almost a year now and could poentially upgrade to an AB penthouse for free.

I have looked at the deck plans and remembered cc members reccomending the side (rather than the bow) facing ABs due to wind in prior post but am still undecided.

There are a lot of fans of the aft (AE) rooms and i've heard a lot of people rave about the tub with a picture window over the water in the AB cabins too!

It looks like the AB is twice the square footage as the AE but he AE has a bigger balcony.Are there any other perks with the AB I should consider?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have to decide very quickly!

I have never been in an AE, but I have been in a Dawn AB three times, soon to be four in August. sHa_biggrin.gif

I ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THE AB's...!!!sHa_thumbsup2.gif

It is SO SPACIOUS, the bathroom is INCREDIBLE, just EVERYTHING about an AB is FANTASTIC.....!!!not-tagged-smiley-11368.gif

For some people, an Aft view is important, for us, it is not. The space in the cabin is the selling point for us, and of course, THAT BATHROOM......!!!happy-smiley-8823.gif

We are always in AB 11020 and found that location to be a terrific location. As for the balcony, it is not huge by any means, but, it is nice, two of us could be out there easily. I don't recall the wind being an issue.

I would HIGHLY reccomend staying in an AB, just because of HOW MUCH we ENJOYED IT.....!!!sHa_veryhappy.gif

If it were me, I would take the AB figuring the price difference is likely to keep me from booking an AB outright on future cruises. Plus I fell in love with the bathroom (I know it sounds weird, but it happens - lol) plus you have a second bath. But if you can manage to nab a Courtyard for a reasonable price, that would be the uiltimate!

The more I read the more i'm tempted by the AB.

We intend to get a spa pass for the week and the ship layout looks as if the AB cabins are fairly close and the aft of course is as far away as one can be..lol.

Are there any bar set up perks for the AB or is that for courtyard villas only? I know our AE onl has he champagne perk...

Thanks

We intend to get a spa pass for the week and the ship layout looks as if the AB cabins are fairly close and the aft of course is as far away as one can be..lol.

Are there any bar set up perks for the AB or is that for courtyard villas only? I know our AE onl has he champagne perk...

Thanks

No, there are no bar "perks" for an AB.

Pandi, seriously, if moving up to an AB will cost you zero dollars, I would HIGHLY RECCOMEND that you do.....!!!

YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT......!!!sHa_yay.gif

An AB is TRULY an EXCELLENT CABIN......!!!sHa_thumbsup2.gif

Just having that bathroom, well, you WILL never, EVER want to have anything but an AB after that......!!!sHa_runaround.gif

And, just think, if the two of you need to take a shower at the same time, there is bathroom #2 with a shower.....!!!sFun_shower.gif ;)

I have to say that for us, we would only give up the Aft for a suite Forward, and maybe a CV. Big maybe on the CV. I know we would not give up the Aft for an AB. We have had several occasions to be able to and we stuck with our beloved Aft.

What is it about an Aft that you find so special? Is watching the wake of the ship mesmerizing?:)

I have found it mesmerizing on more than one occasion......:D

But, not enough to give up my AB.......!!!:D :) ;)

My only potential concern about switching to an AB would be the location of the suite. I've read that there is an AB (or 2) that are located under the noisier parts of the gym (weights). I'm booked in an AD on 3 May to Vancouver :). The AB's are pretty sweet, but I don't think I'd switch

I agree with the AB location issue. All Gem AB's are on deck 11 which is right under all the restaurants and the gym on deck 12.

The other "big" things with an AB is the second bedroom but obviously if you are in an AE then you are only 2 people and don't need another bedroom. I am not sure you would find an AB all that larger since it can accomodate up to 5 people - i.e. the extra space goes into the bedrooms.

I would stick with the beautiful view of the AE and not risk being moved to whatever AB, risking getting the one right under the weight room!!! :o

I just checked out the deckplan on the Gem. I see what some of the posters are talking about.icon3.gif

So, I would STILL reccomend an AB, BUT, only if you can get these cabins: 11018, 11024 and 11030. They are below the Lifestyles Room, Card Room and The Library. You shouldn't hear that much noise from those rooms.

11012 is below the Hair Salon, that may be not as quiet, but, I am sure it beats the weight room.....!!!:eek: :D ;)

When we stay in 11020 on the Dawn, we are under the Life Styles Room and it is fine. I do recall hearing a chair, maybe once or twice during a cruise, but NOTHING that would ever make me not book that AB again and it surely was NOT annoying enough for me to remember and have it stand out and be a problem.

I can't help with your decision but am following this thread because we booked our first AE on the Dawn for Feb 2010. We were in an AB on the Dawn as a result of an upsell from a balcony a couple of years ago. We are two, of course, and the second bedroom in the AB served as a luggage storage area. We only used the second bathroom once or twice so that was mostly wasted space. We did love the bathroom and the king bed and all the perks of suite life. We are looking forward to our first AE. I will be interested in what you decide.:)

Thanks

As an FYI, there are no bar set up perks for the Courtyard Villas (A4/A3). Only the Owner's Suites (AA), Deluxe Owner's Suites (A2), and Garden Villas (A1) have the alcohol perks (3 bottles for the AA and A2; 6 bottles for the A1).

beachchick

For those of you who have stayed in an AB, I have a question. Do you have to walk through the master bedroom to get to the master bath? I'm just wondering if DH is still sleeping, and I want to be showering and getting ready for the day, will I disturb him by going back & forth between the living room area and the bath. Thanks!

Archived