1. 1. HOHO Busses - What do you think?

• A great way to see a new city!
    • Tried it and it was a waste of time
    • Pretty good - likely to go again
    • It's OK, but nothing special
    • Thinking about it on the next trip
    • Too Expensive for what it is
    • Tried it and never again

Except in Rome. I've done HOHO all over Europe and US and usually check the route before I buy. It is often cheaper than the Metro with all the places I want to visit and I usually do one whole route first then stop and hop off on the second go around. Paris has a great HOHO which has several routes. So does London. I plan on using one in Vancouver.

Now, the Rome HOHO didn't stop at convenient places and the local bus system was cheaper and more efficient. But as a whole, I also use the HOHO first as a way to get to know a city.

Not a big fan. I used the one in Barcelona and found it was not very useful if you actually want to use it to "hop on and hop off", which is what I wanted to do. There was too much traffic so the buses tended to show up very sporadically (often long gaps in between, then 2-3 would come, sometimes too full to get back on).

I have often seen the HOHO in Rome stranded in traffic and have found that I can walk faster than the bus is able to move.

I generally research all my stops in advance, so I don't really need the generalized commentary about/introduction to the sights. When I get to a port I am ready to actually DO things!

20 years ago I would have agreed with you. Today I'm limited in the distance I can walk, and HOHO is an easy wat to see a lot of city in a relatively short time. I prefer the recorded narratives.

I'm surprised anyone would post such a negative about HOHO buses.......... I think they are a great way to orient yourself to a city, especially if you are on a very short visit (pre-cruise for instance). European HOHO buses tend to have a prerecorded narration which are limited of course in their information but great to give you an overview.

We did the Gray Line in New York recently and although the live guides really added to the commentary, it was a bit of a pain getting the "don't forget to tip us" lecture every time the bus came to a halt. Having said that, the guide that took us over to Brooklyn was superb and was a mine of information.

Since I was the only one who posted anything negative re: HOHO buses up to this point, you have to be referring to my post. We have had some that were quite pleasureable and from what I'm reading, the ones with pre-recorded information sound great.

The one we were on in San Francisco, we wished the announcer would have hopped off. He told us nothing interesting about the city and only spoke of his personal life. If he was funny or clever it would have made for a good time but unfortunately he was merely annoying. We got off one stop before our closest to the hotel stop to be rid of his banter. Most tour guides are aware that people are interested in the sights, buildings, history etc...., not the announcers arguments with his girlfriend or where his buddies apartment is located or his tummy ache from dinner last night. Big disappointment to spend $ to listen to that.

Archived