Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

While I'm sitting home, and they are on a ship, I don't feel bad for anyone.

You know I'm so tired of your stupid comments. Some people do sail for the ports and not the ship. It's a shame that this happened and some people HAVE to be stuck on a ship for 7 days. I for one would hate it. I have a cruise scheduled in less than 12 days and I for one will hate it if I have to sit onboard with nothing better to do than eat which seems is the choice for you.

I think I need to vent. This is a load of crap. The media is in a frenzy over this stuff and it's utter nonsense. The flu literrally kills thousands of people every year (almost always the very young or very old), but no one says anything. Now, a handful of people die in the most densly populated city in the world and you'd think it's the end of humanity. My guess is the people who died had poor health to begin with, and like the hundreds that die in the US every year from the regular flu they just had weakend immune systems and could not combat the infection. Whether it comes from monkeys, pigs or dolphins, this is just the flu. If you're young or old, you should be just as concearned about the regular flu as you are about the swine flu. If you're in reasonably good health and have survived previous flu seasons (which don't usually end until May anyways) then who cares, you'll be sick and misearable for a few days and then you're all better and have immunity for life against yet another pesky flu virus. I leave in less then a week for my cruise and if they cancle Cozumel I'll be pissed. If you want to worry about something worry about N. Korea nuking Alaska or HI. Worry about the fact that we're over due for a global killing asteriod and can only scan about 4% of the night sky. Worry about global warming, the troops overseas, losing your job, or being killed in a car accident. All these things are a bigger deal then being sick for a couple days and in all honesty probably more likely to happen to you or someone you know. The CDC should be applauded for taking aggressive action to ensure it doesn't become an issue, but the media should shot for making the god dang flu such a big deal!

I agree with most of what you're saying but what is confusing health experts is that a number of the mexican people who have died have been in excellent health and in their 20's, 30's, and 40's (at least that's what is being reported). The flu doesn't normally affect healthy people as critically as it is currently. Explain that.

What's the big deal if they can just divert to another port. I"m perfectly ok switching ports, but would not be to happy to float for 5 straight days with no port stops!

I am going on the Fantasy 5 night cruise on 5/11 that hits Progresso and Cozumel. If they can divert the ship to Montego Bay, Belize City, or Grand Cayman I"m perfectly happy. What are the chances of that?

You know I'm so tired of your stupid comments. Some people do sail for the ports and not the ship. It's a shame that this happened and some people HAVE to be stuck on a ship for 7 days. I for one would hate it. I have a cruise scheduled in less than 12 days and I for one will hate it if I have to sit onboard with nothing better to do than eat which seems is the choice for you.

Gee, thank you for your nice compliments. You are the one that skips muster, right? :rolleyes: I have my opinions of your posts, but I would certainly not post them.

But I agree with you that while I might "hate" it, I would never consider myself STUCK on a ship. One thinking that might consider that land trips are a better option for themselves.

Agreed! Going to a port like Belize and not diving or snorkeling would be a waste of a cruise in my mind...as long as you don't have health issues that would limit your activities. That's understandable. But, just sitting on a ship at many of these beautiful ports is a waste of a cruise, imo.

I am not mad. If we go...GREAT! If not, OK.

I get that this is a flu, and people die every year from it. I also get that it has not been deadly in the US.

But, I am on vacation and would rather not have the flu or flu symptoms on my vacation. I would rather stay well on my VACA and enjoy it.

If the worst thing that happens to me is that I have to "suffer" on a cruise ship during an extra sea day....I am happy with my life

I agree with most of what you're saying but what is confusing health experts is that a number of the mexican people who have died have been in excellent health and in their 20's, 30's, and 40's (at least that's what is being reported). The flu doesn't normally affect healthy people as critically as it is currently. Explain that.

I'm no expert, I can't explain it (I also don't trust the media because in my opinion very little is unbiased), but I'm still not concerned. It's like every other "big deal" for that week. No one is worried about peanut butter anymore, but that was headlines for weeks. When a lot of healthy people in 1st world countries start dying then maybe I'll be concerned. For now I'm worried about dying on my drive home or my flight to FL in a few days then I am about getting the flu (swine or otherwise). It is interesting to hear they were young and healthy though, I hadn't heard any details about those that have died, only the headline that there's a lot of "death" etc.

Gee, thank you for your nice compliments. You are the one that skips muster, right? :rolleyes: I have my opinions of your posts, but I would certainly not post them.

But I agree with you that while I might "hate" it, I would never consider myself STUCK on a ship. One thinking that might consider that land trips are a better option for themselves.

No I never skip muster, where did you ever get that? I can give a rat's $SS what you think of my posts however the way you have treated this thread about this outbreak is just way out of line and I just had enough of you.

I think I need to vent. This is a load of crap. The media is in a frenzy over this stuff and it's utter nonsense. The flu literrally kills thousands of people every year (almost always the very young or very old), but no one says anything. Now, a handful of people die in the most densly populated city in the world and you'd think it's the end of humanity. My guess is the people who died had poor health to begin with, and like the hundreds that die in the US every year from the regular flu they just had weakend immune systems and could not combat the infection. Whether it comes from monkeys, pigs or dolphins, this is just the flu. If you're young or old, you should be just as concearned about the regular flu as you are about the swine flu. If you're in reasonably good health and have survived previous flu seasons (which don't usually end until May anyways) then who cares, you'll be sick and misearable for a few days and then you're all better and have immunity for life against yet another pesky flu virus. I leave in less then a week for my cruise and if they cancle Cozumel I'll be pissed. If you want to worry about something worry about N. Korea nuking Alaska or HI. Worry about the fact that we're over due for a global killing asteriod and can only scan about 4% of the night sky. Worry about global warming, the troops overseas, losing your job, or being killed in a car accident. All these things are a bigger deal then being sick for a couple days and in all honesty probably more likely to happen to you or someone you know. The CDC should be applauded for taking aggressive action to ensure it doesn't become an issue, but the media should shot for making the god dang flu such a big deal!

Worry about 152 flu deaths, most of them previously healthy male adults, 20 - 44. This isn't pesky and it's not the kinds of flu deaths we see in North America, where it typically is fatal only in vulnerable groups. I agree with other posters that the media is leaping on board to crank up the ratings machine, but the demographics of this are just weird. Why healthy young men?

The cruise lines are having to make very tough decisions; I would still rather be on a cruise to nowhere choosing my umpteenth treat (sigh!) than here at work! This is your vacation, folks...go with the flow.

I can give a rat's $SS what you think of my posts however the way you have treated this thread about this outbreak is just way out of line and I just had enough of you.

If my opinion angers you, put me on ignore. One can have a different opinion from you, and you don't have to angry at them.

Oh, and my mistake. You are the one that thinks antibacterial wipes work on virus'. My bad.

From everything I seeing, the majority of people who have died in Mexico were between the ages of 20-50. The regular flu does kill people every year but they are primarily people with compromised immune systems (ie the elderly and people who are already sick). The Spanish flu in 1918 mainly killed people who had healthy immune systems as well. They believe that that virus caused a cytokine storm which seems to be an over-reaction of your immune system. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm). I have also read that Tamiflu and other anti-viruals may not be effective against this flu.

We may all think that governments are over-reacting but the danger of another pandemic at some point is very real.

My thoughts on this whole thing: We are cruising on 5/11 and I hope this is a non-issue by then. I would be ok with all sea days but my DH would not be as happy so maybe they will substitute at least one port for Cozumel and Progreso. It is ironic that I would be further away from confirmed cases in Coz and Progreso then here at home. You can catch the flu at home, at work, at the store, at school etc. so I don't see how not going to a place with no confirmed cases is going to keep us any healthier.

I promise I am not trying to start an argument but this statement comes across as extremely selfish. Cancelling stops in MX are as much about trying to limit the spread of this virus as it is about keeping YOU from getting sick. Not everybody on a cruise is in "reasonably good health". The CDC is still trying to understand this strain of flu and it is a good time to practice caution. Does the media propegate fear? Absolutely! Are there other concerns in the world? Yep! Are troop overseas, the job market, or car accidents related to this discussion in any way? Heck NO! Who is propegating fear here????

Off my soap box now...

I leave on Conquest on Sunday. I am happy the cruise lines are cancelling stops. Hopefully they can replace them with others, but I personally don't care. I like sea days, but I may well be in the minority on that one. I have a pregnant wife cruising with me and a 3 year old son we are leaving at home. While it is highly unlikely that I would catch anything on my stop to Cozumel, it really doesn't seem worth the risk of bringing something home with me. I would infect my home and office. Not everybody I come in contact with will be "reasonably healthy". That is my concern.

Thanks,

Davo

We leave Tampa Thursday and are supposed to be in Cozumel Saturday. If we don't go to Cozumel I will be disappointed, I was really looking forward to it. BUT I WOULD HOPE THEY TAKE US SOMEPLACE INSTEAD!!!! I didn't book a 5 day at sea cruise, that would be very frustrating.

You can argue it would be better than being at home, but I planed a cruise to Cozumel. I understand somethings are out of anyone's control, but I would expect them to have a plan B that doesn't involve 5 days of water only.

We have DD at home to think of and older parents that we dont want to give this to. But they think they have a case on the far side of the county we live in, so it can pop up anywhere. Can we hit the FL Keys instead if we miss Cozumel?

Oh, and my mistake. You are the one that thinks antibacterial wipes work on virus'. My bad.

Against this flu, they do. It is Noro that they are ineffective against.

"Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also effective."

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/?s_cid=swineFlu_outbreak_internal_001

Missing a port is always a possibility, that’s why it’s in the fine print of your contract. This is similar to missing a port due too a hurricane, civil unrest or whatever.

I’ve missed several over the years

We leave Tampa Thursday and are supposed to be in Cozumel Saturday. If we don't go to Cozumel I will be disappointed, I was really looking forward to it. BUT I WOULD HOPE THEY TAKE US SOMEPLACE INSTEAD!!!! I didn't book a 5 day at sea cruise, that would be very frustrating.

You can argue it would be better than being at home, but I planed a cruise to Cozumel. I understand somethings are out of anyone's control, but I would expect them to have a plan B that doesn't involve 5 days of water only.

You know the cruise line would just love the revenue it will generate with those sea days! That's what frustrates the heck out of me as well.

Worry about 152 flu deaths, most of them previously healthy male adults, 20 - 44. This isn't pesky and it's not the kinds of flu deaths we see in North America, where it typically is fatal only in vulnerable groups. I agree with other posters that the media is leaping on board to crank up the ratings machine, but the demographics of this are just weird. Why healthy young men?

The cruise lines are having to make very tough decisions; I would still rather be on a cruise to nowhere choosing my umpteenth treat (sigh!) than here at work! This is your vacation, folks...go with the flow.

Yes that many people have died. But that many people have not died from confirmed flu cases. The latest news I read said the opposite, many cases have now been confirmed as not being flu related. So don't believe that many people have actually died from the flu in MX, they have a lot more lab work to confirm before a true # can be determined.

We have no idea why that age is affected there. Probably (just a guess)because that is the age that is working hands on with the infected swine in the first place. They would have been exposed much more than one person passing it to another casually.

I won't panic of the deaths in MX because as of yet no other countries are having even a slightly similar experience. Something else is a factor there that isn't here and in the areas affected.

It is Noro that they are ineffective against.

Thank you for the support. She was talking about the norovirus.

I WAS talking about using antibacterial! It's better than nothing. Why do you think they provide them on the ship, to prevent norovirous.

I promise I am not trying to start an argument but this statement comes across as extremely selfish. Cancelling stops in MX are as much about trying to limit the spread of this virus as it is about keeping YOU from getting sick. Not everybody on a cruise are in "reasonably good health". The CDC is still trying to understand this strain of flu and it is a good time to practice caution. Does the media propegate fear? Absolutely! Are there other concerns in the world? Yep! Are troop overseas, the job market, or car accidents related to this discussion in any way? Heck NO! Who is propegating fear here????

Off my soap box now...

I leave on Conquest on Sunday. I am happy the cruise lines are cancelling stops. Hopefully they can replace them with others, but I personally don't care. I like sea days, but I may well me in the minority on that one. I have a pregnant wife cruising with me and a 3 year old son we are leaving at home. While it is highly unlikely that I would catch anything on my stop to Cozumel, it really doesn't seem worth the risk of bringing something home with me. I would infect my office and office. Not everybody I come in contact with will be "reasonably healthy". That is my concern.

Thanks,

Davo

I concur, I can see how this would come as selfish. That wasn't my intention. I realize everyone is obligated to try and stop the spreading of any disease, but why not cancel the dozens of flights (if not hundreds) of flights out of Mexico City every day? I'd be pissed and disappointed if any of my ports were canceled (8 months of planning to be ruined by leaving a week and half too late is a bummer), but I'd at least try and understand the reason for it. If they start cancelling flights out of Mexico City and can half a** justify it I'll buy into skipping Mexico ports...or at least try.

Mad Cow!

Killer bees.

Again, none of these illnesses are a joke. They happen.

I was hospitalized for days in 2003 with West Nile. My husband and I were actually having discussions about "getting things in order." I was that sick.

Just because you have never been touched personally by these diseases, does not mean that they do not happen.

I'm just lucky to have survived with no lasting problems. Please do not use these as proof that there is no reason for any concern with the current health alerts.

I also don't think I would enjoy a cruise to no where, at least not at the prices we paid for this trip. I would expect a big price decrease if there were no ports. It comes down to preference. Some love the ship life and wouldn't mind staying on board, other don't enjoy it as much and the ports are a very important part of their cruise experience. Neither is right or wrong.

Archived