Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

Wonder if the Carnival phone lines and site are ready to take on the huge volume of cruisers they might get tonight. I know my PVP will probably be gone from the office by the time the announcement is made all others that are there will probably be swamped.

On a side note the doctor that I work for told me to take the normal precautions that you should take during flu season (wash your hands with soap and water). He said he doesn't think there is a lot to worry about if you have a good immune system. He also thinks that the media is making it much bigger and worse that it really is.

my dr said the same thing. wash hands frequently, avoid contact with obviously sick people and carry hand sanitizer for when hand washing isnt available.

we are bummed that the chances are we are not getting off the boat in mexico... simply because we only have two stops... catalina island and ensenada and well we havent been on vacation in YEARS.. like before we had kids years and this is his first cruise so I dont want him to have a bad taste in his mouth about it or think it is "boring". I want to make this happen more often. lol

Well, all indications are that our 4 day cruise to Cozumel out of Tampa this Thursday, will not be going to Cozumel. Can't wait to find out at 5pm today, where we will be going. In any event, me and my wife are expecting a great time no matter where we go. ITS A VACATION regardless of where they take us and I am planning on having a great time ANYWAY.

I have been reading alot of threads lately and am amazed at the hostile attitudes that have been across the boards especially about the Swine flu.

There is really no reason to criticize someone for their comments and start childlike bickering.

We all have a right to our opinions and no need to jump someone because of theirs.

Now boys and girls go back to your neutral corners and take a deep breath.:D

OK, I was getting ready to copy your post poobears. When there are so many threads on cancelling and changing the information seems to me to be getting lost. Just my opinion. Thanks for posting it here for this OP as well.

Not a problem, the threads are moving so fast it's hard to find the info you need in them.

While people are correct in posting the cancellation policy, you would still have to pay the going rate for the new cruise, which may or may not be a higher rate.

So while you might be able to cancel at no charge, re booking a new cruise, might cost you more, if other people have the same idea and drive up the price and reduce the options.

The virus knows no boundries at this time......it has already spread over the border.......chances are just as good getting infected here too.......

Exactly, like the ones here, he was on a business trip to MX. So everyone he flew back with was exposed, all of their families and community members were exposed etc. It's beyond the don't go there or you will get it point. It's here already.

That's right. Some dude from the CDC was on this morning saying that there was no way they could contain it anyway. 1. It's already here. 2. You can be contagious and not have any symptoms.

The big question is do they pull the trigger to produce swine flu shots or just let it run its course.

Wonder if the Carnival phone lines and site are ready to take on the huge volume of cruisers they might get tonight. I know my PVP will probably be gone from the office by the time the announcement is made all others that are there will probably be swamped.

My PVP is on vacation this week!! She picked a good week to be gone.

While people are correct in posting the cancellation policy, you would still have to pay the going rate for the new cruise, which may or may not be a higher rate.

So while you might be able to cancel at no charge, re booking a new cruise, might cost you more, if other people have the same idea and drive up the price and reduce the options.

How could it be otherwise? If carnival allowed passengers to rebook for the same fare, people would want Christmas and New Years sailings.

I wonder.... does vacation insurance protect us if we decide not to risk illness and do not sail?????

I am sailing the eastern caribbean, but the crew will have been to Mexico on previous sailings. Just wondering. :confused:

My TA is also out of town tonight... he's picking up our daughter from Florida State!!!

I also didn't read/know about Carnival's policy but I'm more concerned whether we can find another cruise, same week that has 5 cabins still available!!! (we are a family of 16 cruising together)...

I hope that Carnival would just change the Port of Call instead of that extra day at sea. It would certainly be easier for them too. I would stay put on the Liberty instead of trying to find another ship that week out of Miami or Pt Everglades... it could become crazy...

OK, isn't it 5:00 somewheres?????? lol Where's the post??? lol

This is what many of the doctors are saying - if you watch the stories on the National News channels that doctors are saying there is no need to panic - Just be alert and cautious – take normal precautions that we all should be anyway – wash your hands several times through out the day and be aware of what you are touching – keep you hands away from you eyes, nose and mouth.

We are sailing on the Splendor May 10th and will be very disappointed if we are not allowed off the ship! There have been no reported cases in any of the cities we will be visiting, there are always health threats (norovirus, other stains of flu) that people need to be aware of and take steps to avoid but, I don’t see how sitting on a ship with 3300 people (1 or 2 who may already be infected) is any better than taking a trip to the beach!

I'm leaving on Saturday on the Liberty with a stop scheduled for Cozumel.

If we stop we stop, if they choose another port it's fine and if they choose to have a day at sea that's fine too.

I am on vacation and if the ship wants to go in circles I don't care - I am on vacation, hopefully in the sun and don't have to worry about work, house or anything that will distract me from my DH, book and DOD.

I do feel sorry for the people that depend on the cruise ships for their livelyhood.

Brinda

I wonder.... does vacation insurance protect us if we decide not to risk illness and do not sail?????

I am sailing the eastern caribbean, but the crew will have been to Mexico on previous sailings. Just wondering. :confused:

No, you'd have to buy one of the expensive cancel for any reason policies from other agencies to get that coverage.

Your crew will be fine. This only incubates 1-2 days. MX ports are as of now cancelled so those that have been there and may be getting sick will do it this week, they wouldn't be on your cruise.

Only if you puchased "cancel for any reason" insurance. Regular health type coverage doesnt cover you for cancelling just in case. Depends on what you purchased.

I wonder if anybody read this: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3196. And if it is true, because the official statement has not been release yet.

Yes Melissa posted this earlier and said a further statement is to be issued at 5pm. Also, CCL said they will have updated info on their web site about any changes, cancellations, etc. after the 5pm announcement.

Archived