Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

This is the April 28th 5:00 PM Itinerary Update. We have decided to cancel all calls at Mexican ports for all current sailings and all voyages departing on Thursday, April 30th through Monday, May 4th. In many cases, we will be able to substitute the cancelled call with an alternative port. Additionally, we are working on alternatives for those itineraries impacted by this decision. Full details will be available by 5pm tomorrow. The best place to get up to the minute information about these changes is at our web site, www.carnival.com. In the unlikely event that our new itinerary options are not to your liking, we will also give you the opportunity to reschedule your cruise at a later date. Those details will also be made available tomorrow.

Our primary concern is your safety. We will continue to monitor the situation and will keep you updated if and when changes are made.

Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you aboard your Fun Ship cruise.

From http://www.carnivalconnections.com/cruisetalk/forums/t/65742.aspx

They have also posted the same info at http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/Travel_Advisory.aspx

Aw man! This is only my second cruise...the first one we actually did go to Cozumel, so switching ports isn't too sad for us.

I'll be travelling with my boyfriend, who are you cruisin with? If they choose to just do a big circle in the ocean, boyfriend might want to cancel but I may be able to talk him out of it. Any day on a cruise ship is better than a day at work!! :rolleyes: I am very anxious to see what the new plan is.

Thanks for keeping us updated!!

going with my girlfriend! I agree... cruise to nowhere would be way better than anything else that will happen this weekend! we're going regardless! shoot me an email! it's my username here at gmail

I can't help but feel bad for those making a living in the port towns. They've gone from a busy cruise season to no incoming cruise ships. It could financially devastate those areas very quickly.

I agree. :( I wager mexico tourism has been hot hard this year just with the drug issues...this just makes things so much worse for them.

The virus knows no boundries at this time......it has already spread over the border.......chances are just as good getting infected here too.......

I agree with you. The virus is not contained...it's all over the place. wasn't there a case reported in Spain??

And one in Nova Scotia??

Bizarre....

I honestly think the cruise ship itself, and being contained with all those people is MORE of a hazard than Mexico. It could very well happen that someone boards a ship IN the US and takes the virus with them and 'shares' it with everyone on board.

I think it's great that the airlines are allowing people to cancel their travel. Flying is the worst when it comes to germ spreading.

But, IMO, at this point I can't help but think this is being a bit overblown. I do wonder why the Mexicans are dying from it...are they sure that is what they died from?? Have they been autopsied already??

Well, bummer. I wonder what they'll do about us Ecstasy folks. We only have mexican ports. And Galveston is too far away to sail to any other ports. I can't imagine a 5 day cruise to nowhere. This is my first cruise, so I don't even know if it'd be better to do a cruise to nowhere or cancel. And it's my honeymoon no less. Guess I'll just have to wait and see what they have in store for us.

well its set! carnivals site says it all. mexican ports are cancelled.

STATEMENT REGARDING SWINE INFLUENZA

Miami - April 28th 5:00 PM

We have decided to cancel all calls at Mexican ports for all current sailings and all voyages departing on Thursday, April 30th through Monday, May 4th. In many cases, we will be able to substitute the cancelled call with an alternative port. Additionally, we are working on alternatives for those itineraries impacted by this decision. Full details will be available by 5pm tomorrow. Please continue to check back as we will provide the latest information online at carnival.com. In the unlikely event that our new itinerary options are not to your liking, we will also give you the opportunity to reschedule your cruise at a later date. Those details will also be made available tomorrow.

Our primary concern is your safety. We will continue to monitor the situation and will keep you updated if and when changes are made.

Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you aboard your "Fun Ship" cruise.

In all honesty Karefree, how do you explain ships sailing from Texas (Where cases of swine flu have been confirmed) skipping port calls in Cozumel? (Where no cases of swine flu have been confirmed).

It's hard to argue "The Sky is Falling" isn't a part of this. It is quickly turning into hysteria.

It is very sad that so many have died in Mexico City. But this certainly has not risen to the level of an epidemic anywhere. And, without an epidemic you don't have a "pandemic" but that has not stopped the media from tossing it about.

We live 5 miles from the border where trade and travel continues. I'd certainly feel safer in Cozumel right now.

I'm supposed to leave on the Splendor to Mexican Rivera on May 10. Here is what Carnival just put on their website:

We have decided to cancel all calls at Mexican ports for all current sailings and all voyages departing on Thursday, April 30th through Monday, May 4th. In many cases, we will be able to substitute the cancelled call with an alternative port. Additionally, we are working on alternatives for those itineraries impacted by this decision. Full details will be available by 5pm tomorrow. Please continue to check back as we will provide the latest information online at carnival.com. In the unlikely event that our new itinerary options are not to your liking, we will also give you the opportunity to reschedule your cruise at a later date. Those details will also be made available tomorrow.

Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you aboard your "Fun Ship" cruise.

So I still don't know for my cruise.

I'm supposed to leave on the Splendor to Mexican Rivera on May 10. Here is what Carnival just put on their website:

So I still don't know for my cruise.

Welcome to the wait and see club

I agree with you. The virus is not contained...it's all over the place. wasn't there a case reported in Spain??

And one in Nova Scotia??

Bizarre....

I live in Nova Scotia and there are 4 confirmed cases. They were on a school trip recently to Mexico. All 4 cases were relatively mild and they were temporarily in quarantine and are doing OK now.

What a bummer:(, although I understand Carnival's reasoning. We sail Saturday on the Fantasy and both stops were in Mexico. I can't imagine where else we could go. Personally, I can deal with a cruise to nowhere, but my DS and DDIL might not be so happy. I really don't want to reschedule:mad: Anyone thinking of changing to another sailing?

A five day cruise from New Orleans cannot reach MoBay, Belize City or Grand Cayman for any longer than a very short stop. They are just too far for a round trip. Remember, a five night cruise means four full days plus embarkation and debarkation day. Those three ports are two day sailings from New Orleans. A more likely scenario is an hour stop in Cozumel or Calica followed by a port day in Key West. Key West is not an option without touching a foriegn port to get around the PSA.

They could do it in a day and a half, maybe less.

They could easily make it to Havana.

Or they could cancel the 4 day cruises and add a day to the 5 day. Lots of options.

Or Carnival could change their minds and go back to the original itineraries. HAL is reserving that right.

Archived