Swine flu updates from Cruise Critic

I just called carnival again to verify they would give cash refunds (because I was seeing conflicting info on the board here) on the Splendor cruise on may 3rd, and they said they would. BUT...if you choose to cruise they will be giving 1/2 cash back from the cruise and 1/2 future cruise credit. San Francisco here I come :D In otherwords the cruise works out to be FREE???:eek:

Reminds me when the NCL Dawn hit that wave, the pax were offered 50 % off, and 50% off a future cruise.

Yet there were those that balked and wanted more! :eek:

I spent all day yesterday afternoon clicking refresh with the rest of you. By about 7 PM and no info I was ready to get someone from Carnival on the phone and really tear into them.

I waited on hold for an hour before I finally got a human voice. I calmly asked about what the status of our itinerary changes was, and the Carnival Rep said "your cruise has been changed from a 5 day to a 7 day cruise through the bahamas". I did a double take and asked again "this is the Fantasy leaving May 2nd?" "Yep, thats right".

No increase in cost, 3 new ports I haven't ever been to instead of Cozumel (been there 4 times), and 2 extra days on my cruise.

I have to hand it to Carnival, they just earned some serious brand loyalty from our family.

Solinar, I also just read that your sailing is getting an additional $150 credit because of the confusion with new return flights, extra vacation days, etc...

Nice for you!

I was on the May 6th sailing that got CANNED. We got "Cancelled, sorry, you can have a $50 credit on a future cruise".

I already had a $50 credit, a cocktail party, bottle of wine, great rate, low airfare, and 20 friends sailing with me.

I'm sad. :(

Vice President Biden's statement on the NBC Today show stating he would not recommend travel by subway or airplane, or going to any place where you would be in close quarters with other people. Well this pretty much eliminates travel to a cruise ship by plane, and being on a ship with 2000-3000 other people. I know several folks on CC think the media is out of line, but what can you do with a statement like this?

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/21925.html

Solinar, I also just read that your sailing is getting an additional $150 credit because of the confusion with new return flights, extra vacation days, etc...

Nice for you!

I was on the May 6th sailing that got CANNED. We got "Cancelled, sorry, you can have a $50 credit on a future cruise".

I already had a $50 credit, a cocktail party, bottle of wine, great rate, low airfare, and 20 friends sailing with me.

I know the anticipation of a cruise vacation. I can only imagine your disappointment. You can only smile about this when you are on a future cruise having the time of your life.

Vice President Biden's statement on the NBC Today show stating he would not recommend travel by subway or airplane, or going to any place where you would be in close quarters with other people. Well this pretty much eliminates travel to a cruise ship by plane, and being on a ship with 2000-3000 other people. I know several folks on CC think the media is out of line, but what can you do with a statement like this?

I saw that. I'm not sure he was out of line. He spoke what he believed what he would personally do. I don't believe he is out to cripple any industry...it's his common sense talking and what he is comfortable telling himself and his family.

That said, we're on a cruise in May out of Barcelona and Spain is a current hot spot being watched by the WHO. That's a long flight in an airplane. I don't know what to do...

I was watching that as well, wondering if he was going to mention a cruiseship, and did not. ANd this was only after Matt asked him about his family travelling. Prior to that, he was repeating the previous rhetoric.

Personally, I would be suspect of ALL cruiseships at this point, regardless of WHERE THEY ARE SAILING, as it plays out, and am planning to avoid all these areas of congregation until things calm down, or our leaders can tell us EXACTLY what's going on.

I saw that. I'm not sure he was out of line. He spoke what he believed what he would personally do.

I see the administration is now trying to backpeddle that statement, with the article stating "These sorts of comments are what the Obama administration fears from Biden, who after more than three decades in Washington is known for making gaffes."

I see the administration is now trying to backpeddle that statement, with the article stating "These sorts of comments are what the Obama administration fears from Biden, who after more than three decades in Washington is known for making gaffes."

I know, he tends to speak loosely off the cuff. However, I still think he spoke his personal belief; his personal truth.

Check out the "official" numbers from the World Health Organization... 148 CONFIRMED cases and 8 deaths worldwide.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_04_29/en/index.html

I am not trying to diminish the seriousness for the affected families or the fact that it could become more serious, but right now, I just can't see that it is beyond common sense precautions, and it seems there are much more serious concerns out there!

I know, he tends to speak loosely off the cuff. However, I still think he spoke his personal belief; his personal truth.

Exactly. Doesn't seem the administration really wants to protect us, or even sure what to do.

But I agree with Biden. No way will I be congregating any time soon. That's the RIGHT thing to do at this time, keeping it at bay.

It's hard to know what to do without being seen as an alarmist. We are scheduled to fly into JFK from Florida on May 14th. Don't think I haven't thought twice about it. But it sure would suck to be in NY & sick rather than in my own bed.

I'll say this ... Biden's comments just make sense. He's certainly spent enough time on packed trains to understand how easy it is to get sneezed on. My train buddies (any commuter will tell you how you have a circle of people you take the train or bus with everyday for years, but never really know their names) and I were discussing on how utterly screwed the states of NY, NJ, CT, and parts of PA would be if The Swu got loose on a rush hour train going into or out of NYC. We easily pack 2-3K people onto my afternoon train.

I get the whole "not wanting to cause a panic" thing, but they also have to be realistic here. And don't get me started on the NYC subways ... again, someone sneezes on a packed A train ... ugh, total nightmare.

check out the "official" numbers from the world health organization... 148 confirmed cases and 8 deaths worldwide.

i am not trying to diminish the seriousness for the affected families or the fact that it could become more serious, but right now, i just can't see that it is beyond common sense precautions, and it seems there are much more serious concerns out there!

amen!

Exactly. Doesn't seem the administration really wants to protect us, or even sure what to do.

I wouldn't say they administration doesn't want to protect us ... they've taken various steps to ensure that there is enough antiviral medication should this thing really blow up and they're working on a vaccine. It's a very thin line between "protecting" and "causing a panic". They can't very well put the entire country under marshal law and order us all to stay home, can they? The economy is precarious enough as it is.

Nice for you!

The $150 would be great, but not needed after what they have done for us already. I hope they can do something better for those they had to cancel on.

The Splendor on May 3rd is going to San Francisco, Victoria and Seattle and giving a $75.00 credit. My friend was scheduled for this sailing, she said they would not refund her money, only apply it to a later cruise. She does have insurance so that may be an option for her. Carol in CA

If the swine flu does impact ports of call, would Carnival change routes?

Biden is an idiot. This is not the first time he has opened his mount only to have his boss regret it.

The regular flu that virtually everyone accepts like they do the common cold kills 36,000 a year and people travel, take mass transit, etc. This is really odd when you look at the facts! The reaction doesn't reflect the facts but rather an over-reaction to a very few people who are actually ill imho. Carol in CA

Check out the "official" numbers from the World Health Organization... 148 CONFIRMED cases and 8 deaths worldwide.

I am not trying to diminish the seriousness for the affected families or the fact that it could become more serious, but right now, I just can't see that it is beyond common sense precautions, and it seems there are much more serious concerns out there!

IMHO what we are seeing is a media circus they will drag out and sensationalize as long as they can.

Who is "they"? The media? I doubt it. The newcycle will expire soon and unless this thing starts ringing up an impressie death toll, the media will move onto something else to sensationalize. It already is. Chrysler is filing for bankruptcy. Film at 11.

Hi everyone,

I've been reading everyone's posts about the differing stories you're all getting re: Carnival Splendor compensation.

A Carnival public relations representative confirms for me today that the compensation that is being offered is what's listed in the letter linked off their Web site. That is, folks who decide to sail on May 3 will receive a $75 onboard credit per person.

It seems that the 50 percent cash/50 percent future credit refund is indeed misinformation :(

Again, those who decide NOT to sail will receive a future cruise credit in the amount paid for use anytime prior to December 31, 2010.

It is so amazing ......... reading the attacks here -----attacks on the media, attacks on the political leaders, attacks on the cruise lines, and attacks on each other.

We ARE frustrated - but the fact is we ought to be careful and cautious.

We are what is called a naive population - on a global scale. It IS like the flu pandemic in 1917-18 - or even the gift of smallpox brought to the Native Americans by the early European explorers. Naive means that there are no antibodies in the general population against this new pathogen. How deadly that will be depends on the virulence of the new pathogen. It has not a darn thing to do w/ politics, policies, or personalities.

What can WE do? We can do what our parents always told us - "cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, because if you don't, you spread disease." Wash your hands. Avoid crowds.

It is NO ONE'S fault - but it IS what it IS. Grow up. Take care of yourself. Consider what issues in life really matter.

End of sermon from the soapbox!!!

Archived