50's/ sock hop theme

TnTnFlorida

We will be cruising with CB Princess for the first time in 6 days, and are curious as to whether they do theme nights that we might want to dress for... (50's, etc.) Thanks for your help!:)

On voyages that I've been on, yes, they have theme nights, usually in Club Fusion on the Grand-class ships.

Unless things have changed on Princess in the last few years, the only theme night that involved the passengers dressing up was "Island Night" on our Hawaiian cruise. Passengers were encouraged to wear their aloha wear (which they probably bought in the islands) and there was a deck party at night.

Other than that, the theme nights usually were for the dining room and involved a specific cuisine (eg. Italian) with the waitstaff dressed to fit that theme.

The cruise staff were usually the ones dressed for the various theme nights held in one of the lounges -- not the passengers. All the activities were centered around the theme, i.e., some of the games might be hoola hoops to see how long someone could keep it spinning. The staffr might give out plastic jewelry that glowed in the dark. The dance music would be themed as well. Usually only lasted about 1 hour and then the staff would depart the lounge.

Never seen the passengers dressed in the theme of the night since it occurs right after dinner and the second show in the main lounge. Unless you have early dinner and want to rush back to your cabin to change for an hour of the speciality themed hour, I wouldn't worry about it. Dress to fit the night -- casual or whatever for the night.

MARAPRINCE

The cruise staff were usually the ones dressed for the various theme nights held in one of the lounges -- not the passengers. All the activities were centered around the theme, i.e., some of the games might be hoola hoops to see how long someone could keep it spinning. The staffr might give out plastic jewelry that glowed in the dark. The dance music would be themed as well. Usually only lasted about 1 hour and then the staff would depart the lounge.

Never seen the passengers dressed in the theme of the night since it occurs right after dinner and the second show in the main lounge. Unless you have early dinner and want to rush back to your cabin to change for an hour of the speciality themed hour, I wouldn't worry about it. Dress to fit the night -- casual or whatever for the night.

MARAPRINCE

Two years ago we were on the CB , while attending the 50's night I was taken from the audience to particapate in the hula hoop contest. Did not even keep it up for 30 seconds, so before last year's cruise on the Crown I practiced and mastered the hoop. Guess what? they had a 50's night but no contest. I'm still practicing , so hopefully this year there will be a contest.

We really enjoy the theme nights on Princess as well. The theme nights which seem to always be held are the 50s/60s night/sock hop (used to be just 50s night, but now they also include 60s somewhat); the country-western night; the island night/tropical deck party; and 70s disco/and/or 70s/80s night.

The 50s/60s night and the country-western night are usually in the smaller lounge on deck 7 but sometimes in the Club on deck 7 and is usually around 10/10:30. The island night/tropical deck party is on the pool deck around the aft pool and is a little later---there is also usually a Caribbean buffet in the Horizon court starting around 11:00 on this night. The disco party is in Skywalkers and usually doesn't start until 11:00 or later.

There are special activities at each of these theme parties. At the 50s night, there is usually the hand jive, an Elvis contest, and often, but not always, a hula hoop contest. At the tropical deck party there is a lot of line and other dances including the dollar dance--the highlight is the conga line--this is how the "official" party ends, but dancing and music continues for a while. The cruise staff distributes leis (the cruise director usually announces during the show for everyone to go to the island party after the show to "get leied". :) The country-western party has line dancing and the Bang Bang game (gunfighters). The disco party includes an appearance by the "almost" Village People and lately has included almost "Abba" or some similar group from that time period.

Some cruises, especially the longer ones, also include English Pub night and, if there is a special holiday during the cruise, a special holiday party.

Yes, the cruise director's staff does always dress up in costume for the theme nights. Used to be lots of people dressed up, but now only a few do. When we sailed from Galveston, everyone dressed up for country western night and many for the 50 sock hop. We still do dress up a little--guys wearing white T-shirts and jeans for 50s and girls with pony tails; western shirts for country western night; and glow jewelry for the disco. The leis are already given for island night. We have a lot of fun and the cruise director's staff has always complimented us for dressing up some and having fun. We sometimes see people who are dressed completely, with the poodle skirt, etc. I say, it is your cruise and if you want to have fun and dress up some or completely, go for it.

As far as the contests, we prefer to watch and don't volunteer, but we have been dragged up before--this might happen more if you are in costume. On our last Grand Princess sailing I got pulled into the Bang Bang game and actually won. Also, I got pulled up on the hula hoop contest on a Caribbean Princess sailing and much to my complete surprise, actually won that too. Both times the prize was the bottle of Champagne and we just gave it away since we don't drink alcohol. So just go and enjoy and have fun!!!:)

Archived