first cruise, sea to alaska, may29

nd53

We have never cruised, 55 m, 45 f, taking the train from ND to seattle, arrive 10:30am, then to RCCL for a 4pm departure on a 7 day r/t to alaska. We have NO land tours lined up, as we want to relax and enjoy the view, both from the dock and the ship. Should we book land tours? or will we be busy enough site seeing from the tourist-y things around us. Is the city bus the best trans, from depot to sea-port in seattle? will we have enough time to chk out the city after we dock and before we Amtrak out at 4pm on june 5th?. I cannot find info on if the pool is heated or not aboard ship? Most threads on line say they took to many clothes. But.. I am guessing layers (of clothing) will be better for Alaska in june. Swim suits and shorts will be not used much on board.

When should I print out my set sail doc's?

Where do I get info on the RCCL 'drink of the day pass'

I cannot find info on if the pool is heated or not aboard ship?

When should I print out my set sail doc's?

Where do I get info on the RCCL 'drink of the day pass'

In my experience, the pools on RCCL ships are not heated. They are filled with filtered seawater.

You can print out your Set Sail Pass any time up until 3 days before departure (at which point it locks you out).

There is no "drink of the day pass" on RCCL (or on Princess or Carnival in my experience).

Are you saying that you haven't booked excursions in Alaska or just Seattle? If you don't leave the ship or port areas in Alaska, you are missing the biggest part of the trip and not really seeing the real Alaska. You need to get away from the port areas to experience even more beauty. Now, that's not to say that there aren't a few things to see or do right around the ports, but Alaska is one of those trips that I would not take if I couldn't take excursions. In the Caribbean, I don't feel like I have to take excursions at all of the ports to experience the tropics.

Now if you just meant Seattle, it's plenty doable on your own for the most part.

We have never cruised, 55 m, 45 f, taking the train from ND to seattle, arrive 10:30am, then to RCCL for a 4pm departure on a 7 day r/t to alaska. We have NO land tours lined up, as we want to relax and enjoy the view, both from the dock and the ship.

Suggestions for a more scenic trip and still have plenty of time to enjoy the ship and the scenery....

1. Ketchikan--Fly over Misty Fjiords

2. Juneau--go whale watching for an up close and personal experience and when you return (or before you go) take the shuttle bus to the Mendenhall glacier...it is almost in town and easy to get to. Ask where to buy bus tickets after you get off of the ship.

3. Skagway--at least take the train to the top of the pass and back.

These excursions will still allow you enough time to walk around town to see the local sites. Ketchikan and Skagway are especially quaint.

Note, you may see whales from the ship, but it will be nothing like taking an excursion where you can hear them blow, maybe even see some "bubble net" feeding.

Don't forget that Alaska is a couple of hours behind you, so getting up early in Alaska will almost be like sleeping in at home.

Have a great trip!!

Just read your response to this thread. I've been looking for this kind of information. My husband and I are planning a cruise in mid-August on Regent Seven Seas and having the hardest time deciding which excursions to take--there are so many in each and every port.

Any thoughts or advice on Sitka?

Thank you.

I think you'd be wasting your money by NOT doing some excursions. You will not get the full flavor of Alaska (or see many sights) by staying on the ship or walking around the port area. The entire point of an Alaskan cruise is to (pardon the plagerism) Get Out There!!!!

If you just want to relax on the ship and chill, an itinerary that isn't so expensive would suit you better. Why pay for things you'll never see?

Just read your response to this thread. I've been looking for this kind of information. My husband and I are planning a cruise in mid-August on Regent Seven Seas and having the hardest time deciding which excursions to take--there are so many in each and every port.

Any thoughts or advice on Sitka?

Thank you.

Sitka is small enough that you can walk around and see a lot.

Hi, yes you can walk around Sitka no problem, and you can download a walking map here http://www.sitka.org/maps.html. I also definitely recommend the White Pass railroad trip in Skagway, it is really worth paying for that shore excursion. When I checked last year it was the same price to buy the tickets direct so we just did it through HAL. We did the train up and bus back which gives you a different perspective of the journey. In Juneau we bought tickets on the pier for a bus to the Mendenhall Glacier and it was only about $8 each way, very easy and you can spend as long as you like there. I think the buses ran every half hour or so. Our flightseeing trip in Ketchikan was cancelled due to the weather so that is for another time! We did a Rainforest and Wildlife Sanctuary shore excursion there but I thought that was a waste of money as they hardly had any wildlife at all, only one bald eagle, one owl and a few reindeers. I met some people who did the Itirod trip though and they and absolutely loved it. Have a great time!

Archived