What did you do in these ports.......

sas80

Hi everyone! Next question :D

We are sailing the Freedom in Sept. I was wondering if anyone had ever done these ports with smaller children?

What is there to do in Jamaica, the Cayman Islands and Cozumel...?

We will have a 1 yr old and a 3 year old at the time.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated. If you took a land tour, could you tell me if the tour providers included a car seat?

Thanks!

Stacey

Hi everyone! Next question :D

We are sailing the Freedom in Sept. I was wondering if anyone had ever done these ports with smaller children?

What is there to do in Jamaica, the Cayman Islands and Cozumel...?

We will have a 1 yr old and a 3 year old at the time.

Any suggestions will be most appreciated. If you took a land tour, could you tell me if the tour providers included a car seat?

Thanks!

Stacey

We did that itinerary when DD was 3.5. In Jamaica (I think we docked in Montego Bay, not Ocho Rios), we went to the beach (took the cruise shuttle from the ship and then walked)-- it wasn't a great beach, but she was happy (spent the day trying to fill the ocean back up with sand...:rolleyes:). In Grand Cayman, we did Stingray City (private outfit that also made a snorkel stop, I can't remember if they had to drive us anywhere or not...it doesn't seem like it...), one of the guides carried her out to the sandbar where we could stand and hold her. We took turns staying onboard with her at the snorkel stop. Then we took the bus (no carseat) to the Turtle Farm. In Cozumel, we split up: I went to Tuluum with some adult friends (I would not recommend this for little kids -- long bus ride!), and DH walked with DD to a beach recommended by a crew member and then went on a semi-submarine ride 9it was called the mermaid boat, which sold her on it at that age!!).

HTH!!

In Cozumel, we went to a very low=key beach at Playa Palancar where the kids could play on the beach and in the sand with very little crowd to worry about. They serve drinks and food, plus a snorkel/scuba outfit that will boat you out to the reef. It made for a very relaxing 4 hours that my kids enjoyed alot. Taxi was $20/4 person each way.

Cozumel has a national park that is a beach. It is a short distance from the cruise dock and is great for snorkeling. I am sorry that I can not remember the name. They had snorkel gear, food, drinks, etc. I do remember that it was not typical beach with sand and walk out to the surf however which might not work for younger kids. The fish were abundant and there was sand to play in.

Grand Caymen - stay away from the butterfly express tour (boring!) :p. I think we would have been better off at 7 mile beach.

Cozumel - Passion Island, its my new favorite place. :D

Jamaica - for me, this one was a tough one when the kids were that age. I just had no desire to take them off the ship for Mo Bay.

In GC, we did a private non ship tour from nativeway (my boys were 1 and 5 at the time). we swam with stingrays, spent some time on the beach and we went snorkling. we were able to stand and hold the boys in the water for the stingrays. they couldnt snorkel but we travelled with grandparents and grandma wont snorkel off a boat (only offshore) so she said on the boat while the rest of us snorkeled.

How is Passion Island in comparison to Paradise Beach in Coz?

I cant find much on the coz board re: passion but did find lots on paradise.

Looking for a relaxing beach day for my 8.4, and 2 yo kidlets.

Lol RENMama -- I call my kids my "kidlets" too. That is funny.

I'd love to hear more about what to do in Ocho Rios with little ones. We had Passion Island booked in Cozumel (per Michelle's great review with pictures), but Cozumel has now been cancelled because of the swine flu.

We were going to stay on the ship in jamaica, but now we already have 3 sea days, I'd like to get off in Jamaica.

I have a 8, 6, 2, and 1 year old. If we went to the falls, could I just walk around with the 2 and 1 year old while DH climbs the falls with the older two? Has anyone been to Dunns River Falls and can let me know what we realistically could expect with kids that age? Perhaps we'll just find another beach to go to...

P.S. Isn't it wonderful that these are our pressing decisions in life? What to do on our cruise? whoo-hoo!

I'd love to hear more about what to do in Ocho Rios with little ones. We had Passion Island booked in Cozumel (per Michelle's great review with pictures), but Cozumel has now been cancelled because of the swine flu.

I have a 8, 6, 2, and 1 year old. If we went to the falls, could I just walk around with the 2 and 1 year old while DH climbs the falls with the older two? Has anyone been to Dunns River Falls and can let me know what we realistically could expect with kids that age? Perhaps we'll just find another beach to go to...

P.S. Isn't it wonderful that these are our pressing decisions in life? What to do on our cruise? whoo-hoo!

So true about your p.s. :)

My boys were 5yo and 15m when we stopped in OR. We did a ship excursion that included a visit to the falls but not a climb. My toddler enjoyed just splashing in the water. My husband was able to take our 5yo and do some rock hopping. It was a nice relaxing day.

We were going to stay on the ship in jamaica, but now we already have 3 sea days, I'd like to get off in Jamaica.

We are thinking of doing a tour with Peat Taylor or "Know Jamaica"

http://www.PeatTaylor.com

http://www.knowjamaica.com

Both came recommended from the Jamaica port of call board.

We're on the Freedom in September also!! The September 13th sailing. Which one are you on?

In Cozumel, we're going to Nachi Cocum. In GC, we're just taking a cab to the beach. I think I'm going to stay on the boat with my son for Ocho Rios.

We're on the Freedom in September also!! The September 13th sailing. Which one are you on?

In Cozumel, we're going to Nachi Cocum. In GC, we're just taking a cab to the beach. I think I'm going to stay on the boat with my son for Ocho Rios.

I can do you one better!

We are on the Freedom on Sept 13th AND I grew up in Piedmont, Ca (My parents had the same house for 27 years)

Hows that for small world? I miss the bay area...all of my family is still there...but the cost of living there is just too darn high :(

How old are your babies? Are you on the roll call for the sailing? If not, get your patootie over there and say hello! Also, don't forget to sign up for the M&M!

Our preliminary tour plans are

1) Land tour in Jamaica

2) Chankaab (or however you spell it) in Cozumel (dolphin experience is free if they are under 3)

3) Still trying to figure out what to do in GC. Want to do rays, reefs and rum but with a 3 and 1 year old...just Dont think that would work well.... which beach are you going to? any particular reason you are going to "that" beach?

Providing the logistics work out (tour car is big enough), you are more than welcome to consider coming with us in Ocho Rios. I still have yet to firm up exactly what we are doing but it will probably be a 1/2 day (morning) and include Dunns River falls and Fern Gully.

7 mile beach in GC IS the main beach and it's an easy ride from port--cabs and buses will be waiting. The whole length of the beach is "public" and there are chair/umbrella rentals, along with watersport rentals, restaurants/bars/restrooms available. Easy, easy to do on your own!

Do keep an eye on the traffic headed BACK to the ship---it sometimes runs slowly and backs up. (You can see the road from the beach) If you see it backing up, adjust your time frame for getting back to the ship. It's only a couple miles (depending how far down the beach you go) but it can take awhile to return! You may be able to walk faster than the cars will be going!

7 mile beach in GC IS the main beach and it's an easy ride from port--cabs and buses will be waiting. The whole length of the beach is "public" and there are chair/umbrella rentals, along with watersport rentals, restaurants/bars/restrooms available. Easy, easy to do on your own!

Do keep an eye on the traffic headed BACK to the ship---it sometimes runs slowly and backs up. (You can see the road from the beach) If you see it backing up, adjust your time frame for getting back to the ship. It's only a couple miles (depending how far down the beach you go) but it can take awhile to return! You may be able to walk faster than the cars will be going!

Could you please be definitive about 7 mile beach? We had a cab driver take us there once and we were unimpressed. When we returned to the ship and spoke with others, I got the impression that we were taken to the wrong part of 7 mile beach. What landmarks can I give to the cab driver so that he takes us to the good part of 7 mile beach? Are there any parts that offer cabana's for rent?

How is Passion Island in comparison to Paradise Beach in Coz?

I debated between Passion and Paradise...I personally chose Passion Island, but some others here like Paradise. It's just want you are into. I LOVE deserted islands. :D I like feeling like we are the only ones there.

My review for Passion Island...

http://cruisingwithchildren.blogspot.com/2009/02/passion-island-cozumel-mexico.html

Could you please be definitive about 7 mile beach? We had a cab driver take us there once and we were unimpressed. When we returned to the ship and spoke with others, I got the impression that we were taken to the wrong part of 7 mile beach. What landmarks can I give to the cab driver so that he takes us to the good part of 7 mile beach? Are there any parts that offer cabana's for rent?

I can help you. I found this on the Grand Caymen board here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=449552

A bit from that post....

Taxis: cab fare from the pier to SevenMileBeach fare is $4 /pp around the Colony Beach Club section of SevenMileBeach. I like going a little bit further down to Sea Grape. The fare there is $4/pp. Taxi to all locations on SevenMileBeach : Royal Palms $4, Beach Club $4 PublicBeach $5 Sea Grape $5

Courtyard Marriott $6 CemeteryBeach $6 (Good snorkeling) Rates are fixed and posted, but be sure to confirm the fare before the driver takes off.

Beaches: 7 mile beach is located just north of George Town and actually closer to 5 miles long. All the beaches on the Cayman Islands are Public, no charge at all. Some of the hotels will either charge you to use their chairs and facilities or reserve them for guests only. You can take a public bus to the "PublicBeach" for $2.50 USD and the rest is free or you can take the bus or a taxi to one of the hotels that charges for their chairs and spend the day there. Most of the hotels have water sports available for a charge. Since 7 mile is a sand beach, do NOT expect any kind of decent snorkeling. Good snorkeling and sandy beaches are mutually exclusive. The southern part of the sandy stretch is the most heavily developed, saturated with condos, villas, restaurants, hotels, apartment buildings, a number of shopping centers, and fast-food dives. This is the most congested part of Grand Cayman. 2 chairs & umbrella were $21

PublicBeach is a section of the overall 7 mile beach. There is no hotel directly behind it, just some parking were a snack truck is often found. There are a couple of covered picnic tables.

We asked to be dropped off at CementaryBeach which is further out than Sea Grape or the Public beach. You will see them as the bus passes them. There is a cementary that has a public beach access path.

Our plan was to get dropped off at the far end and walk along the beach back towards the ship. We stopped to snorkel at various spots along the way. Some places had public restrooms. We ended up walking about 3 miles. It was fun and the beaches were beautiful. I was surprised at how empty the beaches were( 5 ships in port that day). The only time we saw any people at all was at the PublicBeach and SeaGrapeBeach, not crowded at all. We stopped several times and sat on some of the beach chairs in front of hotels for about 15 minutes or so. No one said anything, in fact most of the places appeared deserted.

The shore snorkeling was good but you really have to go out far, about 100-200 feet. The better spots are marked with bouys so it is easy to know where to go in. Saw lots of fish, some quite large. Uncomfortably large. After seeing a 4 foot barracuda I decided that was enough for the day. We got back on the main road at the next public beach access and caught another bus for $5 for the 2 of us that dropped us off near the tender port. Buses run every 15 minutes (or less) all along the main beach road. You can catch them at the marked bus stops or just wave at one as it approaches you. It was no problem at all.

I can do you one better!

3) Still trying to figure out what to do in GC. Want to do rays, reefs and rum but with a 3 and 1 year old...just Dont think that would work well.... which beach are you going to? any particular reason you are going to "that" beach?

We did rays, reef and rum point beach on GC with a 5yo and 15mo and it worked out VERY well.

Rum Point Beach on GC is quiet with nice shaded areas and you could walk out VERY far in the water and it was still only waist deep.

(we went thru www.nativewaywatersports.com)

ETA: I have pics of the kids enjoying the falls in OR and on our rays/reef/rum point beach tour in GC if people are curious.

I debated between Passion and Paradise...I personally chose Passion Island, but some others here like Paradise. It's just want you are into. I LOVE deserted islands. :D I like feeling like we are the only ones there.

My review for Passion Island...

http://cruisingwithchildren.blogspot.com/2009/02/passion-island-cozumel-mexico.html

THANKS!!!

We are crusin on Carnival next trip so Passion Island will be out for us as its only by the speedboat and minimum age is 7. I prefer to do shore excursions as a family so looks like Paradise Island may be something to look into as the 8,4, and 2 yr could maybe enjoy a relaxing day together.

THANKS!!!

We are crusin on Carnival next trip so Passion Island will be out for us as its only by the speedboat and minimum age is 7. I prefer to do shore excursions as a family so looks like Paradise Island may be something to look into as the 8,4, and 2 yr could maybe enjoy a relaxing day together.

Unless. ;) I was just coming here to post this. I received this from another CC mom today. And I noticed a special link to the Passion Island excursion...

http://thisiscozumel.com/content/view/743/43/

hmmmmm. THANKS AGAIN!!! i know my boys would LOVE the mini atv's. age/weight limit on those?

My oldest was 9 and was 52" tall. My youngest was 4 on them and she was 42" tall and weight 30lbs at the time.

I have a close up of the "ATV rules posted" if you want to see them. See if this works....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_i2lXz-YUpH4/SZ739Yv3DmI/AAAAAAAAAFs/7aUikpxzqZc/s1600-h/264.JPG

I can do you one better!

We are on the Freedom on Sept 13th AND I grew up in Piedmont, Ca (My parents had the same house for 27 years)

Hows that for small world? I miss the bay area...all of my family is still there...but the cost of living there is just too darn high :(

How old are your babies? Are you on the roll call for the sailing? If not, get your patootie over there and say hello! Also, don't forget to sign up for the M&M!

Our preliminary tour plans are

1) Land tour in Jamaica

2) Chankaab (or however you spell it) in Cozumel (dolphin experience is free if they are under 3)

Providing the logistics work out (tour car is big enough), you are more than welcome to consider coming with us in Ocho Rios. I still have yet to firm up exactly what we are doing but it will probably be a 1/2 day (morning) and include Dunns River falls and Fern Gully.

How funny!! I have a couple of work friends that live in Piedmont! We're in Martinez now...we started out in the city, then moved to Walnut Creek, then Martinez. We would LOVE to move in closer to the city, but there's no way we could sell our house right now.

My little guy will be 4 in June. This is his first cruise and our first real vacation since he's been born! I am, er was, on the roll call. I was on there very early, but for some reason I just stopped reading it. I will try to make it back.

In GC, I was thinking either Sea Grape beach or the beach by the Reef Grill. I think they are different. One of the beaches is part of a shore excursion I think, so I was thinking of going to the other one for less crowds. Oh, and one of them has a playground. I found all this info on the GC boards. I did write down everything somewhere...

That's so sweet to invite us with you in Jamaica!! My mom, sister and her boyfriend are also going with us, and I know my husband and my sister are interested in the treetop zip line tour. I am a little nervous about taking my son on a structured tour because I'm afraid he'll decide to be a devil-child and make the tour a not-fun experience. But keep me posted on what you decide to do.

My little guy will be 4 in June....

That's so sweet to invite us with you in Jamaica!! My mom, sister and her boyfriend are also going with us, and I know my husband and my sister are interested in the treetop zip line tour. I am a little nervous about taking my son on a structured tour because I'm afraid he'll decide to be a devil-child and make the tour a not-fun experience. But keep me posted on what you decide to do.

Just FYI, my 4yo DS loved ziplining in Costa Rica on our cruise a couple months ago. Now, as I've said on here numerous times, my kids are probably crazy, but it's something to keep in mind, if he's allowed to go... I showed mine a YouTube video of it ahead of time to see what he thought, so he had some idea of what he was getting into.

Hi Stacey (my name is Stacey also...LOL)...

I'd suggest Chankanaab in Cozumel, a beach day at 7 Mile Beach in Grand Cayman and maybe an all-inclusive in Jamaica (I wouldn't be wandering around as adult there, let alone with little ones). I make those suggestions on what would be the least hassle, the safest and the cleanest options with kids. I have two of my own and do daycare for a living...for me, stress free is the best plan.

JMHO. Hope you have a nice trip!

Archived