Contemplating our next cruise...need input

MamaParrotHead

Which would you choose?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose?

• New Magic ship
    • Liberty 7 Day Eastern (San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Martin)
    • Miracle 8 Day Southern (St. Martin, St. Lucia, St. Kitts)
    • Freedom 8 Day Eastern (San Juan, St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau)

Debating on three choices (the fourth would be the next new Carnival ship...(is it the Magic?) that rolls out 2011? Any buzz on where that will be headed or home-ported?).

Thinking of sailing either in Apil 2011 (which we have sailed in April before) or November (depending on how our upcoming cruise goes, weather-wise).

Will be bringing the kids, who will be 8 and 12 when we go. Looking to do something other than Western (which we'll have done 2 times in a row) and something other than Nassau/St. Thomas/St. Martin, which was our only Eastern cruise to date. Looking for input on specific excursions you enjoyed/would recommend and pros/cons for each ship. We've only sailed on Conquest and Triumph class thus far.

The three in the running thus far are:

7 Day Eastern on the Liberty (San Juan (night stop), St. Thomas and St. Martin).

8 Day Southern on the Miracle (St. Martin, St. Lucia, St. Kitts)

8 Day Eastern on the Freedom (San Juan (night stop) , St. Thomas Antigua, Tortola and Nassau)

We have had our 2 best cruise experiences on the Miracle.

The staff on that ship, IMHO, have really got their act together and have produced an all around fantastic cruise experience. The two story supper club is both elegant and romantic. The food - fabulous. I think the Captain on that ship must be a great leader and everyone seems to follow his lead.

We have 4 future cruises already booked on other ships, but from that point on I think we'll stick with the Miracle unless another crew is able to surpass the Miracle's professionalism.

I love the southern itinerary - St. Martin, St. Lucia - never been to St. Kitts but that would be a huge attraction for me!! Plus - will you then fly into San Juan? If so, go a day before and spend a little more time there.

I voted for the one that goes to San Jaun,Antigua,St. Thomas,and such! Those are places I REALLY want to see. Im a history buff,so San Jaun has appeal to the dork in me!

Have fun making your choice!!!:D

If it were our family I would choose the 8 night on Liberty. St. Lucia and St. Kitts would be great to visit and then there are the wonderful four days at sea. The only one I would absolutely not do is the Liberty because our family adamantly dislikes Nassau.

If it were our family I would choose the 8 night on Liberty. St. Lucia and St. Kitts would be great to visit and then there are the wonderful four days at sea. The only one I would absolutely not do is the Liberty because our family adamantly dislikes Nassau.

For us, Nassau would equal "beach day", LOL.

Trying to dig up what each port has to offer (esp. St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Tortola and Antigua). That is a big part of the decision making. Any help? Thanks so much for the input thus far! ;)

I hve only been to Antigua and Totola on your list. Loved them both. Antigua, when I was there in 1996, had the nicest little town with quaint shops and little restaurants - I was at an AI for my 1st honeymoon. So, I would say that in that regard, it was a great shoppping port.

Tortola has a lot to offer nature wise, if I recall. I don't remember if you can get to Virgin Gorda from there, but if you can, a trip to the Baths is well worth it - the kids would love it.

What are you looking to do?

We are booked on the 8 day Freedom, so I guess that would get my vote, will have 3 different ports for us for a total of 5, like to limit sea days. We did a 10 day southern which when way down and was really super on Princess.

Debating on three choices (the fourth would be the next new Carnival ship...(is it the Magic?) that rolls out 2011? Any buzz on where that will be headed or home-ported?).

Thinking of sailing either in Apil 2011 (which we have sailed in April before) or November (depending on how our upcoming cruise goes, weather-wise).

magic (yes, that's the name of the new ship), won't be an option for you in april 2011... it's supposed to debut on its european inaugural in june 2011 - not sure when it will make it stateside.

i actually asked on john heald's blog when exactly it will debut in june, and when it can be expected stateside - as well as inquiring about the home port. that was 2-3 days ago so i'm hoping for a reply in a few more... i'll let you know what he says :D

I hve only been to Antigua and Totola on your list. Loved them both. Antigua, when I was there in 1996, had the nicest little town with quaint shops and little restaurants - I was at an AI for my 1st honeymoon. So, I would say that in that regard, it was a great shoppping port.

Tortola has a lot to offer nature wise, if I recall. I don't remember if you can get to Virgin Gorda from there, but if you can, a trip to the Baths is well worth it - the kids would love it.

What are you looking to do?

We're flexible...though with the kids, I don't think any island (land) tours (unless they had interesting stops) would be high on our list. We're going to try snorkeling this trip coming up in November (DH and I LOOOOOOOOVE it, and we're hoping to get the kiddies hooked as well). I really like to see and do things that the islands are famous for...Moutaintop in St. Thomas, Atlantis/Straw Market in Nassau, snorkeling in Belize, stingrays in Grand Cayman, Dunns' River Falls in Ocho Rios. No zipling or the like for us, I'm terrified of heights, LOL. DH is a bigger dude, so ATV's and the like are usually out for us because of the weight limits on him. We're big on beaches, but not EVERY port. I do like to book my excursions privately, I've had bad experiences with the ship sponsored ones...and usually book those in the mornings, so have the afternoons to poke around the shops and grab some local fare. I also like to keep the excursions prices reasonable...no more than $50-$60 per person.

Can someone explain to me what the Baths are and why they're a big draw? I've seen a map of the place...but it doesn't make much sense when I don't know what I'm looking at. The only thing I *think* I gathered from it is that there are big rocks and tidal pools. ??? :confused: LOL

We're flexible...though with the kids, I don't think any island (land) tours (unless they had interesting stops) would be high on our list. We're going to try snorkeling this trip coming up in November (DH and I LOOOOOOOOVE it, and we're hoping to get the kiddies hooked as well). I really like to see and do things that the islands are famous for...Moutaintop in St. Thomas, Atlantis/Straw Market in Nassau, snorkeling in Belize, stingrays in Grand Cayman, Dunns' River Falls in Ocho Rios. No zipling or the like for us, I'm terrified of heights, LOL. DH is a bigger dude, so ATV's and the like are usually out for us because of the weight limits on him. We're big on beaches, but not EVERY port. I do like to book my excursions privately, I've had bad experiences with the ship sponsored ones...and usually book those in the mornings, so have the afternoons to poke around the shops and grab some local fare. I also like to keep the excursions prices reasonable...no more than $50-$60 per person.

Can someone explain to me what the Baths are and why they're a big draw? I've seen a map of the place...but it doesn't make much sense when I don't know what I'm looking at. The only thing I *think* I gathered from it is that there are big rocks and tidal pools. ??? :confused: LOL

Big rocks is an understatement. It is a park area that runs up to the beach where these huge, ginormous boulders have just ploped themselves at the edge of the water. You can swim in and around them - they form neat caves. I went with my mom and dad when I was 11, and LOVED it! Mom and I swam into one cave and had our own private beach, where there was a patch of sunlight shining on the sand, and we had this calm tital pool all to ourselves. It is a beautiful place...I can't wait to take my DS(s) there someday...hopefully sooner than later.

Archived