Contemplating our next cruise...need input

MamaParrotHead

Which would you choose?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose?

• New Magic ship
    • Liberty 7 Day Eastern (San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Martin)
    • Miracle 8 Day Southern (St. Martin, St. Lucia, St. Kitts)
    • Freedom 8 Day Eastern (San Juan, St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau)

Don't count on San Juan being any fun if you stop there at night time unless you like bar hopping or clubbing. I think it's a huge ripoff to get there so late. Nothing is ever open except a few street vendors. JMHO.

I hve only been to Antigua and Totola on your list. Loved them both. Antigua, when I was there in 1996, had the nicest little town with quaint shops and little restaurants - I was at an AI for my 1st honeymoon. So, I would say that in that regard, it was a great shoppping port.

Tortola has a lot to offer nature wise, if I recall. I don't remember if you can get to Virgin Gorda from there, but if you can, a trip to the Baths is well worth it - the kids would love it.

What are you looking to do?

Virgin Gorda is a fairly short ferry ride from Tortola. Depending on your tolerance for risk, you can do this yourself or book through Carnival. (Risk vs. Cost). I did not go, but those who did on my cruise raved about it.

If you would rather do a beach day, hop on an open-air taxi to the other side of the island and visit one of the great beaches there. I went to Cane Garden Bay and really enjoyed it. There is decent snorkeling, but the calm clear water and white sand is what makes it. Plenty of drink vendors and places to eat. The ride itself is a bit of an adventure too :D.

I concur with the other poster who said Southern all the way.

We did the Southern on the Destiny last year and out of almost 30 cruises it was the best we have ever taken. We had previously done the Southern on NCL a few years ago but I prefer the islands that Carnival goes to. That one went to Tortola, Aruba and Curacao.

All the islands on this route are beautiful but, St Lucia and St Kitts were my favorites. Also had a blast doing the river tubing in Dominica.

If you do the Southern the tour with Cosol in St Lucia is a must. Best excursion we have ever taken.

magic (yes, that's the name of the new ship), won't be an option for you in april 2011... it's supposed to debut on its european inaugural in june 2011 - not sure when it will make it stateside.

i actually asked on john heald's blog when exactly it will debut in june, and when it can be expected stateside - as well as inquiring about the home port. that was 2-3 days ago so i'm hoping for a reply in a few more... i'll let you know what he says :D

I'd appreciate any news you have. I try to read John's blog when I remember to, but that doesn't always happen. :)

The three in the running thus far are:

7 Day Eastern on the Liberty (San Juan (night stop), St. Thomas and St. Martin).

8 Day Southern on the Miracle (St. Martin, St. Lucia, St. Kitts)

8 Day Eastern on the Freedom (San Juan (night stop) , St. Thomas Antigua, Tortola and Nassau)

Personally, I like the Miracle/Southern...but until I know where Magic is sailing, I can't vote on your poll :)

I concur with the other poster who said Southern all the way.

If you do the Southern the tour with Cosol in St Lucia is a must. Best excursion we have ever taken.

Totally agree!!

Archived