Alaska shore excursions

Andisue

We are on Milleniun 6/26. I've been told byn former Alaska cruisers to wait to book tours un Skagway and Ketchikan till getting off boat. My friend said there are lines of vendors at much more reasonable prices than on ship or booking ahead on-line. Does anyone have any info?

Two years ago when we stopped in Ketchikan, six of us hired a van and driver to take us around at $30 apiece for about two hours. We had some good local information, he took us to see the Totem carvers, but we could not go inside the building, only watched through the windows. The good thing was we were on our schedule, not the tour's and got to spend more time watching eagles, etc. After several cruises, we've found you CAN get good tours when you get off the ship, just allow yourself plenty of time to get back before sailing.

We booked an excursion in Ketchikan once off the ship. It was no problem. In Skagway you HAVE to do the White Pass Railroad.

If you go to the Ports of Call boards under Alaska you can find a ton of information. That's where I got all of mine.

Have a great cruise.

Anne Maria

We booked an excursion in Ketchikan once off the ship. It was no problem. In Skagway you HAVE to do the White Pass Railroad.

If you go to the Ports of Call boards under Alaska you can find a ton of information. That's where I got all of mine.

Have a great cruise.

Anne Maria

Following advice on the "PORTS~ Alaska" we are NOT taking the train, but hiring a car and driving up the same route & then into the Yukon to Carcross & possibly Whitehorse or Emerald lake. Hwy follows almost the exact route, you can pause to take photos where ever you wish and spend time at what interests you. Was also stated the seats are very uncomfortable on the train?? Costs are about as much as what 1 person would pay on the train but we'll be 3 people.

Following advice on the "PORTS~ Alaska" we are NOT taking the train' date=' but hiring a car and driving up the same route & then into the Yukon to Carcross & possibly Whitehorse or Emerald lake. Hwy follows almost the exact route, you can pause to take photos where ever [b']you[/b] wish and spend time at what interests you. Was also stated the seats are very uncomfortable on the train?? Costs are about as much as what 1 person would pay on the train but we'll be 3 people.

We did that route with six people in a van. A couple of places from the road you can really see the trail the gold miners took into the Yukon. Ours was a 1/2 day trip so we only went just over the top, not quite to the Canadian border station. Saw glaciers and Dall Sheep. On the way back down the driver stopped for pictures at what they called Bridal Veil Falls. Got back in time for me to do the Ghost, Back Alleys, and Goodtime Girls tour from the ship.

Archived