Tubing in Dominica?

uneamie

Ok.....has anyone done the "tubing excursion" for Dominca??? It sounds like tons of fun. Was it worth it? Also, my hubby is a big chubby guy and I guess you could say I am a bit on the plump side myself ;) , Will we have a difficult time getting on and off the tubes?

In the excursion discription the time is 7AM. Sure sounds a bit early to be tubing down a river to me. I understand it takes about 30 minutes to get there so give or take a few minutes we are looking at being in a river tubing at 8AM in the morning. The time for this excursion may be the only reason we don't do it. I have heard that the water is kind of cold at that hour in the day. Anyone know anything about this? Is 8:00AM too early? I want to book ahead but I am hesitant till I hear from others how this excursion was for them. :rolleyes:

I have not been tubing, but have twice been to Dominica. I highly recommend a visit to Titou Gorge, near the village of Laudat. It's about a 20 minute ride straight up the mountain from Roseau. It is the most lush rainforest area I have ever seen.

First time, I was on a tour that included the gorge. There are hot and cold waterfalls at the entrance to the gorge. The water overall is cool but tolerable. You swim up a canyon and eventually come to a waterfall. Depending on the volume of water, you can swim right up and get into the waterfall.

Second time, I hiked to the boiling lake. The trailhead starts right at Titou Gorge. It is tough to get there and back - you need at least six hours and a guide. I recommend Kelvin, who lives right there in Laudat. He got us to the boiling lake and back safely, and it was the hike of a lifetime.

I have not been tubing, but have twice been to Dominica. I highly recommend a visit to Titou Gorge, near the village of Laudat. It's about a 20 minute ride straight up the mountain from Roseau. It is the most lush rainforest area I have ever seen.

First time, I was on a tour that included the gorge. There are hot and cold waterfalls at the entrance to the gorge. The water overall is cool but tolerable. You swim up a canyon and eventually come to a waterfall. Depending on the volume of water, you can swim right up and get into the waterfall.

Second time, I hiked to the boiling lake. The trailhead starts right at Titou Gorge. It is tough to get there and back - you need at least six hours and a guide. I recommend Kelvin, who lives right there in Laudat. He got us to the boiling lake and back safely, and it was the hike of a lifetime.

Thanks for the info salty....if we do not do the tubing we are considering something that includes the "Gorge'. It sounds beautiful there! :)

When will you be in Dominica?

My boyfriend and I are looking for people to join us on a Ken Hinterland Tour to Boiling Lake, Middleham Falls or Ti Tou Gorge. All sound really beautiful and I heard they are all a must see, especially Boiling Lake.

The delima is, the price is the same whether it is 1, 2, 3 or 4 people and that's why we are looking for others.

We will be in Dominica on January 11 with our ship, the Carnival Destiny in port.

Boiling Lake is defininitely worth the trip if you have time. We docked at 7:00 but it was probably 7:45 before we could get off due to gangway issues. The guide was waiting on the pier and we wasted no time heading to Titou Gorge and the trailhead.

Along the way you ascend a mountain, come back down and cross the Breakfast River (no bridge, just hop across stones.) Then back up to a ridge. We saw a flock of rare Cicerou parrots, the national bird. The guide told stories along the way which were quite entertaining. Ask about the "mountain chicken", the national dish. It is actually a frog. There is also a tree with aphrodesiac bark, as he explained to us.

We made it down through the Valley of Desolation, which is a moonscape-looking area with boiling water puddles and fuming mud holes. There is some color too, black, grey and yellow.

Another trek through a riverbed and alongside another river, then through a field and we were within site of the Boiling Lake. The lake makes a lot of steam, so you have to be patient for the wind to blow it away to get a good look at it. At one time it was possible to go down to the lake, but now you have to look over the edge of a cliff. Hint: don't get too close.

We had lunch there and began the journey back. We stopped in a hot water river and sat in a small waterfall. It was the same temperature as a hot tub and felt wonderful after all that hiking. We still had almost halfway to go at that point.

It began to rain hard toward the end of the hike, and the guide fashioned umbrellas for us all out of large leaves. We ended the hike with a swim up Titou Gorge. The rain made the current heavy and while we swam up to the waterfall I could not get to it this time.

We made it back to the ship by 4, which was 30 minutes before the deadline We had time to make a quick beer run to to grocery store. Anyone in reasonably good shape could do this hike, but due to tight timelines and dangers, the ship did not offer the hike, and you definitely need a guide. You can make arrangements on your own, but make sure you plan well in advance because these things can take time to set up.

When will you be in Dominica?

My boyfriend and I are looking for people to join us on a Ken Hinterland Tour to Boiling Lake, Middleham Falls or Ti Tou Gorge. All sound really beautiful and I heard they are all a must see, especially Boiling Lake.

The delima is, the price is the same whether it is 1, 2, 3 or 4 people and that's why we are looking for others.

We will be in Dominica on January 11 with our ship, the Carnival Destiny in port.

We will be in Dominica after you on 2/6/05 on NCL-Dawn. Not too sure my husband and I are physically fit enough for a hike that long. We both have back issues and I have a problem foot. That is why we thought the tubing would be relaxing, easy for us to do yet senic as well. If we do go to the "gorge" it will have to be on a motor tour for we can't do hikes. :(

Sorry we can't help out, but you have a great time. :D

I think the only realistic way to get to the gorge is by motor tour, taxi, etc. It is way up on a mountain. On the way I saw so much interesting things. We stopped and picked coffee on the side of the road. Avocado trees heavy with fruit. Lots of tropical scenery. We stopped at a boiling spring and across the field there was a big smoking volcanic vent in the ground. Lots of geothermal activity going on there. Very interesting to see.

I think a lot of the cruise tours do go there, but I have not seen many that do hikes. The tour I did the first trip was called "Wacky Rollers". It is a blast because you are in the back of these big hummer-type vehicles with nothing but bench seats and roll bars in the back. You can stand up and hang on. The guide may hang off the back. No seat belt laws there! Very cool going around those steep narrow mountain roads.

We stopped at an overlook where we could see all of Roseau and the ship. Then we went through the botanical gardens. That was interesting and they do have some national parrots in a cage there (the locals seem very proud of the parrots.)

After the gardens we went up the mountain for a couple more stops ending at the gorge for the swim. There is a concrete reservoir there, so at first it does not look like much. It is after you swim up inside the cayon that the real scenery is found. You are in a deep ravine with lush vegetation above and perfectly clear water below. Almost the entire time you can get a footing along the canyon wall and not have to swim. Some places you do have to swim. They provide a life jacket but most people just carried them, if you can swim you really don't need it.

It is that water that makes some of the best beer I have had. Be sure and try some of the local brew if you like beer - I don't think you can get it on the ship. Wish I could remember, but just ask the guide the name.

I think the only realistic way to get to the gorge is by motor tour, taxi, etc. It is way up on a mountain. On the way I saw so much interesting things. We stopped and picked coffee on the side of the road. Avocado trees heavy with fruit. Lots of tropical scenery. We stopped at a boiling spring and across the field there was a big smoking volcanic vent in the ground. Lots of geothermal activity going on there. Very interesting to see.

Thanks so much for such fine detail. Your talking me into canceling our plans for the tubing and going for a tour of the "gorge". It sounds like something my husband would love and something we'd no otherwise get to experience. Wonder if we can fit both in in one day? Hmmmmm! Something to think about I guess. Anyway, thanks again salty. :D

Hmmm....I really did not want my post moved to the "ports of call " forum. :( The only reason I posted to NCL general discussion is because the Dawn has passengers coming back from their 10 and 11 day cruises which we are booked on for January and I wanted to know if they did the "tubing excursion". I will not get the responses I was looking for here in this forum. I think I will word another post differently...gesh! :rolleyes:

Archived