Whale Watching - Juneau or Victoria?

chefb1

My family and I will be in the Juneau/Victoria area late July. I cannot figure out where the best area is to whale watch. I think a zodiac type trip would be fun, but can only find that in Victoria. I have noticed Capt. Larry is recommended but he only has boats. The only reason I was leaning towards the zodiac type boat is it appears they can get closer than the regular boat. Plus, there is less people on board which makes for a more private viewing. I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions! This Texas girl is out of her league when it comes to figuring this one out!

Did the whale touring once in Victoria (even though i lived there for nearly 10 yrs) We did it in late August, and only saw 1 whale!! We were on catamaran, which was a nice ride and not that big of a boat, and we got as close, if not closer than the smaller zodiacs (not that much smaller) The boats don't rush up to the whales, they spot one, and sort of try and position themselves where they "think" the whale is going to go. So i think its more of a positioning thing, vice the size of the boat. Majority of our time was spent cruising around going to where there had been reports of whale settings, but only saw the one whale. My wife is convinced it was a "remote control" whale,lol as it magically appeared near the end of our allotted time,lol We went with Wild_cat Adventures,they were great, and very professional.

Juneau wins hands down. Search this forum and you'll find plenty of recommendations for reputable operators. Some have guarantees you'll see whales.

As for zodiac touring... no thanks. Even protected waters can get pretty churned up in the summer, nevermind precipitation from above. A small day boat will be far more comfortable for most people and will certainly not feel overcrowded IMO.

in juneau, it's humpbacks..maybe a chance to see a orca (we didn't).

the boats can NOT approach the whales, they have to keep their distance. if a whales come close to the boats, it's another matter.

for juneau, you want a boat with great viewing areas and to bring binculars.

would not have wanted a zodiac on our excusion, we had sleet for most of the day and a humpback that "popped" up near our boat. the wave would have sent a zodiac flying.

wanted to go out in victoria, but we went in sept, when they don't do evening tours. in victoria, the tours try to find the orca pods that live/roam the area.

What I can tell you about whale watching in Victoria is that there are 3 pods of Orcas that comprise about 84 whales and they are resident in the waters off Victoria but do roam following feed. BQ has stated in posts that your likelihood of seeing the Orcas is 65% and Prince of Whales is saying they are 95% so far this season but I don't know how accurate either of these numbers are...what I do know is that when you are dealing with Mother Nature there are no guarantees. As for Zodiac vs rigid hull vessels, to my knowledge non can get closer than the other, all must shut down their engines within 100 yards of a pod and drift. If they drift down on the pod or the pod swims closer that that is to your benefit.

What I can tell you about whale watching in Victoria is that there are 3 pods of Orcas that comprise about 84 whales and they are resident in the waters off Victoria but do roam following feed. BQ has stated in posts that your likelihood of seeing the Orcas is 65% and Prince of Whales is saying they are 95% so far this season but I don't know how accurate either of these numbers are...what I do know is that when you are dealing with Mother Nature there are no guarantees. As for Zodiac vs rigid hull vessels, to my knowledge non can get closer than the other, all must shut down their engines within 100 yards of a pod and drift. If they drift down on the pod or the pod swims closer that that is to your benefit.

My lower percentage is due to the ship contracted tours which are SHORTER than the regular tours, which run about 80% overall. This season, sounds like the orcas are in "range" more frequently, but looking at LONG range distances, this percentage, again is on the high side for the regular length tours. A fact, however, there are volunteer trackers, which EVERY day, report sightings and tends. Your operator will KNOW, before you leave, if you are going to see either/any of the three southern resident pods, JLK. Read up on them, the more you know the more you will understand. I'll be going out at least 3 times in a month, what I always do, since I want my percentages stacked. I also use the same vendor, who will give me the scoop on locations.

Archived