Pre-Cruise NY hotel

shkarns

There are 4 of us from S. California doing the New England/Canada sailing on the CP from Brooklyn cruise terminal on Oct. 17th any suggestions on a decent hotel to stay pre-cruise for one night? Also best/easiest transportation from JFK to hotel then from hotel to cruise terminal. Thanks in advance..... you've always been a huge help with past questions and I value your input.

There are 4 of us from S. California doing the New England/Canada sailing on the CP from Brooklyn cruise terminal on Oct. 17th any suggestions on a decent hotel to stay pre-cruise for one night? Also best/easiest transportation from JFK to hotel then from hotel to cruise terminal. Thanks in advance..... you've always been a huge help with past questions and I value your input.

Although not cheap the Brooklyn Bridge Marriott is the closest (3 miles).

For transport we use a car service, either Arecibo or Cadman. Around $55 for up to 4 people.

We are going on the same cruise, but on the 10th. Here's is what we are doing. I'm kinda picky on bed comfort, so we try to stay where we hope they have good beds. I went to Hyatt. I looked at the rates and they were $300 plus a night. On their website I found where you can buy gift certificates. You need to cross reference and make sure that the gift certificate is good at the Hotel location you choose (date etc) before you purchase. Anyway to make a long story short. We got a gift Premier certificate for 2 nights. The cost was $165 a night (I believe this includes the bed taxes also). If I had of booked there regular rate it is $339 PLUS tax a night. This is at the Grand Hyatt near grand central. Hope this helps and let me know if you need anymore info.

We're on the 10-day leaving on Oct. 13 and have a reservation at the Hampton Seaport. We got a good deal (around $200) a few months ago--not sure what it is now. Should be a short trip to Brooklyn port.

You might check the East Coast Departures board for more ideas.

Have a great trip!

Easiest transportation to the hotel from JFK is by cab. You can take the train from JFK, but it is by no means easy, just cheap :) I'd spring for the cab! It likely won't cost any more to go to Manhattan than Brooklyn so I would suggest staying at a hotel in Manhattan and getting to enjoy the city and see some sights rather than staying in Brooklyn. Then just take a cab back to Brooklyn for the cruise! You'll love the city :)

We stayed at the Marriott Brooklyn Bridge and it was a very nice hotel. It is used by Princess for the precruisers. There are restaurants within easy walking distance and the subway is just a couple of blocks away if you want to go into the city. It is also a short ride to the pier. A cab for four would be okay from the airport. It shouldn't cost more than $45.

Thank you for your suggestions. I think we have decided to stay at Embassy Suites and will just wait until we arrive at JFK to check on transporation since cabs are plentiful and if using a car service we would have to call them after landing anyway. Maybe there are some SUV cabs that could take all 4 of us and luggage.

Thanks to all who have replied, you have been very helpful during my decison making. Everything planned now except booking shore excursions when they become available. This will be our 19th cruise with Princess, but can you believe it our first New England/Canada? We're really looking forward to it. Again thank you!!

We booked a pre-cruise hotel through Princess last August. The hotel was expensive and a big dissapointment. The rooms were small (as are most in NYC) but both rooms (we had two) had peeling wallpaper, weren't clean, stains on the carpet, TV didn't work. I could go on and on. The place needs a major makeover, which they adverstised it had. I've stayed in cleaner Microtels.

For nearly $300 night per room I expected something a little better.

Archived