Just Back from Eli's Tour

daneicy80

Took everyone's advice and have booked this tour for march 24, when we are there on the Constellation! Looking forward to it so much! The pictures are fantastic. Thanks for the post! It came just when I was beginning to explore our options!

Becky

Okay, this may sound crazy but my husband just reminded me, neither one of us know how to swim and we have never snorkeled. Is this trip a waste of money for us?????? Please, please, please be honest. He doesnt want me to waste my money to treat us for this if it involves alot of swimming and we will sit on the boat like to dopey heads!! Thanks so much

cruzn4: I hate to say this and others may disagree with me, but this is a pretty active tour and to really get your monies worth swimming and snorkeling are a huge part. You need to be able to swim if you want to get out of the boat and go to Hells Gate and there are 2 snorkeling sites that we spent alot of time at. I think it would get boring sitting on the boat all day (remember this is a 6 hour tour). Yes, Eli does an awesome job at showing and describing the country, but you'll only see it from the boat. I can't recall if you need to be able to swim to get to the beach were lunch is (we did this tour 3 yrs ago and will be doing it again in April).

If it were me, I'd spend that money on a land tour or a day at the beach.

Good Luck

Dear DopeyHeads.....<grin> No really, cruzn.

Everyone has to assess their own comfort level with water. I grew up with pruned fingers, so I may quick to offer positive encouragement. Get some ideas, but in the end, decide for yourself.

I agreee with rosejazz, that more bang for your buck will come with jumping off and enjoying the Caribbean. BUT there have been those, for one reason or the other, that have stayed onboard with Eli and had a different, but enjoyable rich experience.

I think the bigger picture here, is determining your overall ability and comfort with the water. Each island port has many swimming/beach/snorkel offerings. So, is the Eli Tour the best "first-time" swimmer/snorkel trip? I can see how many may say no - but I'm gonna say yes. 1) The stop at Bird Island requires at most a knee-deep walk from the boat to the beach. It is all land from there. 2) Even if you stay on the boat all other times, Eli will still make a good day of it, versus say just any old snorkel tour, where you would be left completely to your own devices. 3) Bird Island itself, offers a calm shallow cove to try floating and even snorkeling. This comes with instruction by Eli or a mate. 4) You would wear a flotation vest. 5) Eli's mate would be in the water with you.

Now if open to trying snorkel, there are many other threads here at CC comparing swimming and snorkeling. Most center around the belief that the two are exclusive activities. Salt water and a flotation vest, require you only to "lay" there, not actually keep yourself afloat. If you are still with me, I suggest the following: buy a simple mask/snorkel now and find the local pool. Try it out. Stay shallow, and only worry about looking under water and breathing. Next - pick perhaps one more snorkel trip before you stop in Antigua. One that offers a shallow and easy entrance from a beach, versus a boat. I think St Thomas or St John might be a good choice.

Eli's Tour was our most expensive single excursion (ever). That doesn't include St Thomas jewelry shopping, right? Anyway - it is true that a large part of the enjoyment we received as all centered around sealife and the islands. And a fair amount of that, was the ability to hop off and "jump right into the middle of it". If it were swimming alone that is the concern, try it anyway - this could be the turning point for you. If the hestitation is rooted closer to being in and around the water, then no - Eli would be too large an investment in time and money.

Just my 2 cents.

(But it has been 53 weeks since I have been to Antigua, and we do not currently have another trip planned there. Yet, I still read this board relatively often. That is how much I care to "re-live" the time I spent with Eli.)

Cruzn4abruzn,

dna had some excellent points. I think you could have a great time without getting into the water, but not near as a good of a time if you do get in.

First, are you willing to try. At the first stop that you get off the boat, they will give instruction to anyone that wants snorkeling instructions. It is in shallow water. Our 6 YO snorkeled there. You can find out then if you really want/can snorkel.

I hope you two are a little adventureous, and you will love it. I have been on it 4 times myself. :)

PS And the lunch is great.

Cruzn, I am certainly not a strong swimmer, but I LOVE snorkeling. As others have said, with the flotation vest, I feel very comfortable. With flippers, I am able to maneuver around pretty well. I can swim, just not very well, but this would be something that I certainly would not do without the vest. I say GO FOR IT! I think you will find that it's not as hard as you think.

Becky

• 3 weeks later...

I had lost this thread for the longest time and was browsing around through "ports of call" and finally found it.

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who gave such informative advice and personal experiences. All was greatly appreciated. Although most of you said go for it and had a wonderful time yourselves, my husband and I decided against it.

I remember trying to snorkel in the Bahamas from the beach and I didnt find it easy to breathe (I am asthmatic). In addition, my lazy husband is "crying" about the hike. I told him the hike is nothing, but what are you gonna do? So I gave up on Eli's all together. A shame too cuz I wouldnt mind trying. Oh-well, thanks anyway.

Howdy DNA1990,

We too are from Houston (Clear Lake area) and are booked for a cruise to the Carribean in April.

Want to buy some "water shoes" of some kind (doing Dunn's River Falls, StingRay City, etc).

What do you recommend and where do we buy them at?

We appreciate your comments.

Thanks for your time!!

I had lost this thread for the longest time and was browsing around through "ports of call" and finally found it.

I wanted to say thank you to everyone who gave such informative advice and personal experiences. All was greatly appreciated. Although most of you said go for it and had a wonderful time yourselves, my husband and I decided against it.

I remember trying to snorkel in the Bahamas from the beach and I didnt find it easy to breathe (I am asthmatic). In addition, my lazy husband is "crying" about the hike. I told him the hike is nothing, but what are you gonna do? So I gave up on Eli's all together. A shame too cuz I wouldnt mind trying. Oh-well, thanks anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey HoustonTX!

We got our latest pair at Academy. I had some before from REI, but they were never quite comfortable after getting wet/sandy. I would advise against em at StingrayCity, little easier to be gentle to the rays with bare feet, and it is all smooth sand there.

Funny, I have been working app support on a unix set of servers at local big-oil company you used to work for...well they are bigger now after being bought by the Brits.

And cruzn, I bet your cruise opens your husband up, to trying more the "next" time you head off into the Caribbean!

We were thinking of booking Eli's tour but are concerned about the time it takes to get off the ship. We will be on the Golden Princess and the ship is scheduled to dock at 9 AM. Eli has a 9:50 boarding time with a 10AM sail.

Do we have to clear customs at Antigua? Would I be pushing the time line to hope I can meet Eli's departure schedule?

MSN - eMail Eli to find out specifically. They are aware of each ship's schedule thru the weeks and would be the best to advise. For our trip a year ago, they actually changed their tour time to match our ship's departure that afternoon.

Things are always changing with regards to customs, but while I am sure there was some sort of 'clearance" of the ship - it was not like each passenger had to attend or wait thru a line. There is also the infamous timezone question. Is your published 9am docking, Antigua local or still ship's time from home port?

But it is only a 5 min walk from your ship's gangplank to Eli's boat. If you get there at 9am local, there should be no prob making a 9:50 meet.

Hey DNA,

A small world isn't it? I know the place of work you're talking about. Nice campus over there. I've been all over that campus back in the day :)

I probably installed some of those servers you're working with :)

Too bad we're not on the same cruise (I'm on April 25th to Panama City).

Well, have a great day anyway,

Alan

MSN-Traveler - We went on Eli's tour a few weeks ago, and it was the absolute highlight of our cruise. However, we were on the Sun Princess and did arrive into Antigua late. We did not get off the ship until 9:50 and really made a run to catch Eli. Two other people were able to get off the ship on time, however, I do believe that two did not. He does have other stops to pick up people so he can only wait so long.

Cruisenews - In my opinion, I do not think that this is at all appropriate for an almost two year old. In fact, you should contact Eli to see if he would even take a small child. You must climb down the ladder on the boat to go into the water. It could be a challenge for a person to just take care of themselves. You are not getting on and off to go swimming at a dock. And, you would have to be holding on to your child the entire time. The boat goes pretty fast at times.

Archived