Has anyone visited New Forest in Southampton?

http://www.thenewforest.co.uk/thedms_Map.asp?areaid=1&miles=3

the new forest is national park.

Never really thought about it as day visit from southamton by taxi.

the link above will give you an idea of what there is in the park

There is a HOHO for peak season

http://www.thenewforest.co.uk/tourbus.html

bus and train stations are another option to get there.

http://www.thenewforest.co.uk/getting_around.html

Having been born in Southampton, just down the road from the New Forest I have been through there and been camping many times.

HOWEVER, large parts of the forest were cut down Centuries ago to build the Navy's war ships. So although it is "nice" to visit and drive through there is a lot of scrub land with patches of trees.

Try visiting www.newforest.hampshire.org.uk

Have fun whatever you do.

The New Forest ("New" in the 8th Century!!!) stretches broadly from opposite Southampton on the other side of Southampton Water, westwards to Christchurch / Ringwood, and from near the coast northwards to Romsey/ Fordingbridge. You'l be on the edge of it in 10 minutes by taxi. Or cheap ferry from Southampton Royal Pier across Southampton Water to Hythe, then bus or taxi. "Scrubland" is a bit mean, my Cunard friend, lets use the word heathland,.... and woods. Very pleasant. But not earth-shattering. With some nice pubs. Popular with locals and with UK caravaners & campers, low proportion of overseas visitors. A couple of large villages - Lyndhurst, Brockenhurst, and some smaller ones, for cream teas etc. The National Motor Museum at Beaulieu. Various other comparatively minor attractions - gardens, working farms, cart rides, museums, etc. Some good views of Southampton Water (look across at your ship from Hythe), and of the Solent & the Needles (extreme western point of the Isle of Wight) from anywhere between Calshot & Milford-on-sea. All these places just outside the Forest.

Mebbe stay at a hotel in the Forest - for convenience choose Brockenhurst or Lyndhurst. Because of time constraints, lack of local knowledge, and limited suitable public transport you're best getting around by taxi. If you've got any special interests, post them here & we can suggest other ideas

Regards,

John Bull

Last year I had visitors from Australia for their first trip to the UK. They went all over - London, Yorkshire, Cornwall, Scottish Highlands, Ireland. And what did they think the highlight was? The New Forest (followed by the Jurassic Coast in Dorset). I was particularly surprised about the Forest as living close by we take it somewhat for granted, but depending on the time of year it can look spectacular.

Hi Tommy,

A good post from John Bull, but if you are still not sure even after visiting the suggested website, then take a look at Portsmouth. This is 30 minutes by frequent train from Southampton and the train terminates at Portsmouth Harbour station which is a 2 minute walk from the Historic Dockyard. My teenage kids have spent many hours here - there's loads to see. http://www.historicdockyard.co.uk/

Also close by is the Spinnaker Tower which has fantastic views across the city and the Solent to the Isle of Wight http://www.spinnakertower.co.uk/

Terry

Has anyone been to New Forest in Southampton? Thought I'd take my teenage kids there the day before or after the cruise. Does anyone know how far it is from the port by Taxi? Is it worth visiting?

May not be what teenage kids are interested in, but the New Forest certainly is interesting. (I grew up in the New Forest).

From the port, take pretty much any westbound train and get off at Brockenhurst (about 15 mins travel time). From there, you reallly need some transportation to get around.

You can take the (8 mins) train from Brockenhurst south to Lymington, which has a lot more to offer than b'hurst, and I think the ticket from Southampton to Lymington inclusive is the same as to Brockenhurst.

Something that your kids might find interesting is the National Motor Museum in Bealieu. You would need to take a cab from Brockenhurst to get there.

Archived