Child Restraint seat for Airplane ride

Love2Cruise - IL

http://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_US/travelInformation/specialAssistance/childrenTraveling.jsp

Recommended, but not required.

Scott.

Aviation Child Safety Device (ACSD)

The FAA-approved Aviation Child Safety Device (ACSD) provides all the protection of a traditional child safety seat by combining the use of the aircraft's lap belt and a four-point shoulder harness. Unlike typical child safety seats, the ACSD weighs less than 1 pound and fits into a 6" carrying case, making it much lighter and easier to transport.

The ACSD is approved for aircraft use only and should not be confused with other non-approved vest/harness-type devices.

For more information or to purchase the ACSD, please visit the AmericanAirlines C.R. Smith Museum® Gift Shop site.* You may also email Info.crsmithmuseum@aa.com for information.

*By following this link, you will be taken to a partner or information site. Use the back button on your browser to return to AA.com.

FAA Approved Infant Seat or Child Restraint Devices

Most restraints that are used in automobiles are acceptable for use in aircraft by an infant or small child. Acceptable restraints manufactured in the United States will bear one or both of the following labels:

"This child restraint system conforms to all applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards"

Additionally, the restraint may carry a second label with red lettering which states the following:

"This restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft."

Restraints manufactured outside the United States may be accepted provided that they bear either a label showing approval of a non-U.S. government OR a label showing that the seat was manufactured under the standards of the United Nations (U.N.).

U.N. approval is designated by a label with a circle surrounding the letter "E" followed by the distinguishing number of the country which has granted approval, plus an indication of the category and mass group of the child restraint which will be affixed.

Short answer is no. The only FAA requirement is all passengers are in a seat equipped with a seat belt and oxygen mask. (The one exception is kids under 2 years old can be "lapkids" which I personally feel is a very dangerous practice).

Keep in mind that on the ground your 4yo may need a car seat. That would definitely be true in California.

If you do purchase a car seat, be sure there's a sticker somewhere saying "Meets FAA guidelines" or words to that effect. Cabin crew cannot prohibit use of properly labeled carseats.

Edit: I see someone beat me to it, same answer but more detailed and authoritative!

Thank you for your help. I got confused on AA.com because they didn't say no or yes, but they told you what should be used.

I do realize that DS needs a carseat on the ground for road transportation unless you're in a bus - that's where the Carnival transfers come into play to help me out there.

Again, thank you all for the help.

I would like to add a couple of thoughts. First, we took our 2+ year old on a cruise last year. We did not have any trouble with the airline since a child restraint is not required. Second, we flew into Ft. Lauderdale a day early and rented a car with a child safety seat (required by Florida law). We turned it in the next morning and caught a car service from the hotel to the cruise port. Here is where it got sticky. We requested the car service have a child seat. They said they would. When they arrived, no car seat. We asked where the seat was and they said it was not required for a hired car. We figured they knew what they were doing. Wrong assumption. When we got to the security checkpoint entering the port, they checked our passports and then proceeded to give us a stern lecture on the Florida laws. At one point, I thought he was going to ask us to move to the side and give us a ticket or take us to the office for more discussions. He told us that the driver should know but that we were just as responsible and should never have allowed him to drive us without the child seat. To say the least, not a good way to start a 10 day anniversary cruise. My thoughts - we were dumb and should have tried to find an alternate way to the port. So my recommendation is this-take a child seat, rent a child seat, buy a child seat, or do something. Don't start your vacation off on a bad foot.

Thanks Cruise to Relax.

We have checked out the laws regarding child restraint seats. You are required to have a child restraint seat in a car, van, etc, but you are not required to have one on a bus. Therefore, we have taken the necessary precations so that the transportation from the hotel to the airport is a bus and we are taking the carnival transfers (on a bus) from the airport to the port.

I think we should be covered - I hope. Now if I could just relax about this swine flu issue.

We have checked out the laws regarding child restraint seats. You are required to have a child restraint seat in a car, van, etc, but you are not required to have one on a bus. Therefore, we have taken the necessary precations so that the transportation from the hotel to the airport is a bus and we are taking the carnival transfers (on a bus) from the airport to the port.

I think we should be covered - I hope. Now if I could just relax about this swine flu issue.

With all due respect, the chances of something bad happening due to a bus accident are much higher than from swine flu. (In the past month in CA there have been two serious bus accidents that caused more fatalities and injuries than total swine flu cases so far). Admittedly, a bus accident is unlikely but severe if it happens; but the swine flu is even more unlikely and less severe. So I wonder why doing without safety equipment on a bus seems OK but the flu is a worry?? :confused:

Also, I'm not sure what ports your cruise is visiting...from what I understand about traffic in some Caribbean countries, you may want the car seat on shore excursions.

Have a great cruise, here in CA everyone is aware of the flu but nobody is panicked or worried.

Archived