Drink Coupons/Drink Prices

jjr1282

I haven't been on a cruise yet, so don't take my word for it. But, I did talk to someone else going on our cruise and they said to get one because after your gratuity that's automatically added in, your drink can run up to as high as $9!! I'm sure that depends on what you get, but with the coupon card (the 5 for $25), you don't have to worry about gratuity and it's a flat fee - so I was told. I think we are going to do it. I'll be watching this post to see what other people think.

I hate the "worth it" questions.

How do you measure "worth it"?

Are you going to save money? NO

The coupon does in clude the 15% gratuity. If a drink cost $8 and your coupon is worth $5.25, they most likely (not always) (sometimes) will bill the remainder to you S&S account.

If the drink costs $4.75 and the coupon is for $5.25,,,just wave the coupon goodby. No refund or money back.

I always buy the coupons. Why?

1. Most of my drinking is paid for up front. Very little hits my S&S bill

2. If I meet new friends and want to buy a round, very easy to whip out the coupons.

3. At the end of the cruise, on the last night at dinner, I use whatever coupons I have left to buy a very nice bottle of wine or Champagne for dinner.

It's slightly cheaper to use the drink coupons (since the tip is included) - I know there have been other threads that do the math!

I've used them before - the main reason a lot of people seem to buy them is so that their drinks are pre-paid and budgeted for ahead of time, rather than having a big S&S balance at the end!! They're given to you the first night in the dining room, so even if you buy the coupons keep in mind the first day's drinks will be on your account.

As for what you can use them for - you can use to get any drink - if the drink is a more expensive one, they just charge the difference to your S&S account.

If you're a beer drinker - pretty much the best deal (IMO) is the Bucket of Beer where you get 4 beers in a bucket with ice for around $20 I think.

They're given to you the first night in the dining room, so even if you buy the coupons keep in mind the first day's drinks will be on your account.

Oh I didn't realize that!

So if I go to the Carnival website and order the drink coupons, I get them in the dining room? :confused: I just figured they would be in the cabin waiting for me. no?

I just got off the 4/25 Inspiration Cruise and bought 2 drink coupons in advance, one for me and one for my boyfriend. I think they are worth it! Like people have mentioned, it decreases the final amount on your sail & sign card @ the end, you pre-pay for drinks and it kinda feels like your getting free drinks :p

I personally liked them and will use them every time :D

I just got off the Freedom, and had bought some drink coupons. For drinks, they do charge you the difference, but in the dining room, when I ordered a glass of wine, I was not charged the difference.

I loved the face that it was pre-paid. But you will not be saving money. For people who only drink beer, it's probably not worth it. Since, a beer is less than the coupon, and you will not be refunded.

And yes, they were only delivered in the dining room on the first night.

Joanne

It's slightly cheaper to use the drink coupons (since the tip is included) - I know there have been other threads that do the math!

The drink coupons break even at $4.61, meaning if the pre-tip (or menu cost) of your drink is at least that, you're saving money. At a drink that costs $5.25, the value of the coupon, you actually save $.79/drink. If they'll let you use the coupon for a drink that costs more than $5.25, you save even more.

On a drink that costs more than $5.25, they can charge you the difference (DH was charged a quarter a few times, other times they let it go), but the 15% gratuity is only applied to the amount they put on your S&S, so you're still saving $.79/drink even if your drink is over $5.25, as the gratuity on that portion is paid in the coupon.

So do they save you money? Yes - as long as the menu price of your drink is $4.61 or higher.

http://unofficialcarnivalwiki.com/wiki/Bar_Menu i just purchased 4 pkgs of the drink coupons.. here is my theory. i like to prepay for anything i can before i go, that way the only thing left is incedentals, souveniers etc. i drink jack and coke, according to the price list and then add the gratuity, my drink w/be 7.00 each drink. my way of thinking is even if they add the extra 1.75 to my sail and sign card, i would rather have a $100.00 drink tab than a $300.00 tab.. (for example) now it is paper, so you don't want to get it wet..lol.

you can still buy the drink cards blivid. you dont get them in the mail, they will deliver it to you on your cruise. i chose first night delivery.. and from what i read from one poster once, they will give it to you at dinner.

Is buying the drink coupons ahead of time worth it? Looks like it comes out to 5.25 per coupon. What does a mixed drink cost onboard? What about beer? and what can the coupon be applied to?

Thanks!

OK, I bought 3 sheets of these for my Splendor cruise. Your savings with the coupons comes to $2.92 per sheet (that takes into account that they INCLUDE gratuity).

On all but one purchase, I was given $5.75 credit on the drink I purchased. I primarily used them for DOD's when I was getting a refill in my souvenir glass. Those were sold for $6.75, so I was charged $1 + $.15 gratuity on the difference.

I did use 2 coupons on 2 shooters in the piano bar, and they were a push.

I felt they were definitely worth it. For the way I used them for DOD's, it made the total price for each one (including gratuity) $6.46 (that's the amount paid between coupon and S&S charge combined). Compare that to $8.91 DOD first and $7.76 DOD refill.

I've ordered more for my next cruise.

I will probably stay away from the coupons as I tend to drink more beer. I saw someone post a bucket of beer special. What does a bucket of Bud light/miller lite or Corona go for? When I was on RCCL they actually had a special of buy 5 get one free for $30 on Coronas tip included. Please advise. Thanks.

Bob

You can pre-order hard liquor to your room??? Where can I find info on that???

Order your booze from the Bon Voyage department. Your beautifully wrapped bottles will be waiting for you in your stateroom. Though more expensive than a liquor store, it does save you a lot of money compared to bar prices. If you also purchase a soda fountain card, you get the mixers to go with your booze. In the long run it's much cheaper.

For the liquor you have to call Carnival's Bon Voyage Department 1-800-522-7648.

They don't advertise this on there web-site you have to call..

I ordered a bottle of Vodka, rum and whiskey. The price was around $40 each for a litter bottle..

Is it well or can you call the brand you want? We drink high end vodka like Belvidere and Goose.... If not, we will be investing in some tube socks and purchasing in Miami. In our group of 14 we will have 2-3 soda cards, so no problem.

Is it well or can you call the brand you want? We drink high end vodka like Belvidere and Goose.... If not, we will be investing in some tube socks and purchasing in Miami. In our group of 14 we will have 2-3 soda cards, so no problem.

IIRC, a bottle of grey goose from bon voyage was $40...

Archived