Help with Passport!

My best friend is getting married and going on a cruise for her honeymoon. If she orders her passport ahead of time it would be in her maiden name. How can she get her passport in here married name and get it in time for her honeymoon. There will be three days between the time they marry and go on the cruise.

you friend should not worry about it, IMO. Lots of women have different last names on their passports. All her other information will be in her maiden name anyway, ie: reservation, DL, etc. She should get her passport then deal with the name change when she returns from her honeymoon.

JMO, but thats the advice I would give my own child.

your friend should order her passport in her maiden name and will have to travel with that passport... everything else (drivers license, credit cards, etc) will still be in her maiden name (i'm assuming) so they will match... as long as she applies for her passport with her married name within one year of the previous passport being issued... she won't have to pay the fee again. - Does that make sense??

here's the dept of state website where it says it..

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/fri/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html

any questions.. let me know..

When is she getting married? Passports are recommended but NOT needed to cruise right now. I have cruised many times with our BC's and travel insurance and never had a problem.

I dont think there is any way they can change a passport that quickly between her marriage and the cruise. She can always take her passport with her maiden name on it and the marriage license to show proof. IMO, I would wait until another time to invest in a passport if there's a charge to change last names.

your friend should order her passport in her maiden name and will have to travel with that passport... everything else (drivers license, credit cards, etc) will still be in her maiden name (i'm assuming) so they will match... as long as she applies for her passport with her married name within one year of the previous passport being issued... she won't have to pay the fee again. - Does that make sense??

here's the dept of state website where it says it..

http://www.travel.state.gov/passport/fri/ChangeName/ChangeName_851.html

any questions.. let me know..

Thats good info! She might want to carry her marriage license to be on the safe side as well.

How can she get her passport in her married name and get it in time for her honeymoon?
She can't. Sorry, but she will need a certified copy of her filed and recorded marriage license to change her name, and that alone will take a few weeks. She won't have it to take on her honeymoon, much less get a re-issued passport.

Please tell her that she needs to make sure her cruise booking is in her unmarried name, the one that matches all her legal documents and ID. I know she wants to be Mrs. Jones instead of Miss Smith, but trust me, she will be a lot happier as Miss-Smith-on-the-ship than Mrs.-Jones-standing-at-the-dock.

I already had a passport when we got married. Booked the cruise under my maiden name. I carry a copy of the marraige license with my passport and will have the name changed when the passport expires. The Carnival FAQ's say that if your passport name does not match the booking name, you must present proof of name change and they give examples such as a marraige license.

I know she wants to be Mrs. Jones instead of Miss Smith, but trust me, she will be a lot happier as Miss-Smith-on-the-ship than Mrs.-Jones-standing-at-the-dock.

That was funny! :D And I was thinking the same thing.

.... I carry a copy of the marraige license with my passport and will have the name changed when the passport expires. The Carnival FAQ's say that if your passport name does not match the booking name, you must present proof of name change and they give examples such as a marraige license.

...I brought my marriage certificate. I think you will be fine with your maiden name passport and your marriage certificate.
And carrying the marriage certificate is fine, but OP's friend will not have access to that three days after the wedding. The certificate signed at the ceremony has to go to the local courthouse/records division to be filed and recorded, and then a certified copy will be issued. That typically takes a couple of weeks. And without it, she will still be Miss Smith, not Mrs. Jones.

And carrying the marriage certificate is fine, but OP's friend will not have access to that three days after the wedding.

Not quite true. I had my religious wedding certificate signed before the ceremony and given to me during the ceremony.

But, OP, have your friend do the name change after the honeymoon. One less thing to worry about.

She won't have her marriage license back in time, her DL can't be changed without the marriage license, she can't change her passport until she gets the marriage license.

She needs to book under name on her DL right now, get her passport in her name now, change it all when she returns from the cruise & has all her documentation.

She can't. Sorry, but she will need a certified copy of her filed and recorded marriage license to change her name, and that alone will take a few weeks. She won't have it to take on her honeymoon, much less get a re-issued passport.

Please tell her that she needs to make sure her cruise booking is in her unmarried name, the one that matches all her legal documents and ID. I know she wants to be Mrs. Jones instead of Miss Smith, but trust me, she will be a lot happier as Miss-Smith-on-the-ship than Mrs.-Jones-standing-at-the-dock.

I am curious why she can't. She can fill out the information at the PO or wherever she goes. All she needs is her birth certificate when she applies for the Passport. I did not need my marriage license when my DH got our Passports in 2007. Why can't she say that her name is XXX XX XXXXX, use her to be married name?

I am curious why she can't. She can fill out the information at the PO or wherever she goes. All she needs is her birth certificate when she applies for the Passport. I did not need my marriage license when my DH got our Passports in 2007. Why can't she say that her name is XXX XX XXXXX, use her to be married name?

She will not have her married name on anything. You can't change your name on a DL without proof of name change, marriage licenses take longer than 3 days to be returned to you.

Not quite true. I had my religious wedding certificate signed before the ceremony and given to me during the ceremony.
Your religious certificate, while a lovely memento, is as legally useful as the lovely hospital birth 'certificate' with the footprints. Neither are legal documents, and neither are now accepted for proof of anything. Not so in the past, both were often allowed as cruise documents, but these days only certified copies that have been recorded and filed with the local registrar are accepted for travel purposes.

But, OP, have your friend do the name change after the honeymoon. One less thing to worry about.

In most states, the religious certificate is not actually a valid legal document. You would need the certified copy which is issued by the county clerk. The religious certificate is kind of like the hospital birth certificate you receive at the hospital when your child is born. A nice keepsake, but not actually legally valid.

Deb

If either party is under 25 you will need proof that you are married. CCL

will not let you on the ship due to CCL rules not immigration rules.

If the church can not provide you with a certificate. I would get

get a letter from the church on church letter head.

She will not have her married name on anything. You can't change your name on a DL without proof of name change, marriage licenses take longer than 3 days to be returned to you.

Oh yes, of course. I guess I did have to show my DL. Oh that is too bad. I think she should just wait until after she is married to get the Passport. She can use her BC and DL for the cruise this time.

Why can't she say that her name is XXX XX XXXXX, use her to be married name?
She has to use a name for which she has legal ID matching that name and/or legal bridge documents between the former name and the new name. She cannot get legal ID in her married name until she gets the certified copy of her marriage license (which also would be the needed bridge document.)

This is from the passport site. I wanted to make sure my info was correct because as one poster stated, she didn't have to show her marriage license, I brought mine but couldn't remeber if I showed it but I did remember I had to show my DL.

12. I was recently married/divorced. How do I change my name on my passport?

You will need to complete DS-5504, U.S. Passport Re-Application Form, within one year of the issuance date of your current valid passport and submit along with the following:

• The same data visually displayed on the data page of the passport;
  • The passport to be replaced
  • Certified documentation of your name change (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree with your new name); and
  • Two recent passport photos.

After one year of the issuance date you must submit a DS-82, Application for Passport by Mail, your current passport, certified documentation of your name change, two recent passport photos, and pay all applicable fees.

If either party is under 25 you will need proof that you are married. CCL will not let you on the ship due to CCL rules not immigration rules.

If the church can not provide you with a certificate. I would get

get a letter from the church on church letter head.

Almost, but not quite. The rule is they both must be over 21. IF either of them are under 21, then they would need a) someone over 25 OR b) the marriage proof.;)

FWIW, in this sort of case, Carnival WILL usually accept the religious/church certificate as proof.

My best friend is getting married and going on a cruise for her honeymoon. If she orders her passport ahead of time it would be in her maiden name. How can she get her passport in here married name and get it in time for her honeymoon. There will be three days between the time they marry and go on the cruise.

Are you sure she actually NEEDS a passport for her cruise? If it is a closed loop (from and back to the same U.S port,) she is not REQUIRED to carry a passport. Her birth certificate and drivers license is enough!

Archived