Comparing kid's programs

Need-a-vacation

Is anyone aware of any sort of comprehensive review of the various kids programs on various lines? It would be lovely to have a list of all the major lines programs, hours, age brackets, and some "things you might want to know" sort of comments

I'd love to take my boys (9 and 14) on a cruise, but I have no idea how to decide. Don't even know a good destination at this point!! Or how long to try for a first cruise? We'd have to fly to just about any port, so I have to factor airfare into the cost.

Things I do know:

* My 9yo will have no interest in baby stuff like coloring, etc. The first question out of his mouth was "is the kids club better than summer day camp"? He'll want video games and activity -- dodge ball, swimming, etc. For that reason, I think he'd be happier if the groupings don't leave him the oldest (ie no 6-9 group). He turns 10 mid-june, so if we go after that he may end up in a different group.

* Same 9yo will not want to be compelled to do things he deems to be boring. So a flexible program that will let him do his own thing (within reason) would be better. He needs to be allowed to play video games or read or whatever even if the adult-directed activity is making clay pots.

* I think I would prefer age-grouping that separates younger teens from older kids for my 14-year-old.

* Availability of separate shore excursions for the kids, especially my older son, would be nice. He'll want to zip line -- I want to wander around or quietly snorkel.

Disney Cruises -- Based on my limited reading here, I think my kids are likely too old for it. They are so not into Disney.

Royal Caribbean -- I have seen several comments about rigidity and lack of free choice. I don't think this would work well for my 9yo son.

Norwegian -- no idea about it.

Princess - no idea about it

Carnival -- no idea about it, just the few posts here.

Holland America -- no idea about it at all. I've always associated HAL with older cruisers for some reason. But my mom has a friend that always goes on HAL with her 6 kids because they usually have the best prices for the 3rd/4th person in the room.

If you have kids in regular after-school daycare or summer daycare, how do the cruise kids clubs compare to those types of program? Is it better than after-school daycare?

So, anyone who wants to offer any insight, I'm game!!

Yep, I do. :D I sat down last year and typed out everything I could possibly find on the kids clubs. I started gathering the club schedules and dining room kid menus and I posted it all at the link in my signature. ;)

The direct link to the specific section on comparing kids clubs is here...

http://cruisingwithchildren.blogspot.com/2008/03/cut-through-confusion-faq.html

I wrote it last March so if any info is outdated now, I apologize. I try to keep it current.

You don't have to be into Disney to thoroughly enjoy them. I've been in the travel business for 30 some years and we took our family on them a few years ago. I have been on many cruises and have sent many, many people on cruises and tend to be a bit jaded by them. We were blown out of the water by Disney - they do a fantastic job both for children and adults.

In fact, we are thinking of doing a European cruise with them in 2010 and, yes, they are expensive, but I just really appreciate what a good job they do.

My Ds-10 said that DIsney was his best cruise ever.

He can't wait to go back in August.

He played lots of video games, hung out, basketball, dodgeball. arcade, ping pong, foosball, swimming, movies on the big screen. He did not want to go to the shows or meet the characters, which was fine. He enjoyed the different restuarunts every night, the pirate party, the sailaway party, paperplanemaking class, animation class, etc.

It has a teen club for your older child.

Archived