Jeans Unacceptable at MDR for Dinner?

nomo4iz

of course it is the same thing!!

it is their ship - they get to make the rules -

if you do not like it - don't sail on their ship!

read the cruise contract - they get to do whatever they want! - because -

it is their ship!

just like if i come to your house and i act like a jerk - you get to throw me out - because - it is your house!! You get to make the rules in your house - they get to make the rules on - their ship.

paying or not paying has nothing to do with it - it all has to do with who gets to make the rules!

Instead of ranting and yelling, could you point out where in the cruise contract it states that someone cannot wear jeans on Smart Casual night?

I always appreciated Celebrity for being a bit dressier than the other lines, including the tuxes worn by the waiters.. No matter where we're sailing, the main dining room provides a different setting from the normal fast food joint. As I look at the sailing history of people who don't agree with the way Celebrity would like them to dress: this is still a Celebrity, not a Carnival, nor a RCI nor a Princess dining room. Celebrity has always attempted to encourage passengers to dress "smartly" or better. Many traditional Celebrity cruisers appreciate that, and understandably don't comprehend why people like Cruising Celebrity style without the "style". I know the battle has been lost but it doesn't mean that I have to agree with the people who ignore company suggestions.

My DH and I agree with you 100%! And thank you for saying so. I do not believe that the battle is lost. On our last cruise, the maitre'd's were walking around during the first formal night dinner and talking to those that had not dressed properly, there were told that if they did not dress properly for the second formal night that they would not be permitted to dine. Now they did tell them that if they had not brought the proper clothing they would arrange for the same menu be available to them in their stateroom. We spoke with the maitre'd when he was in our area and expressed to him how pleased we were to see that they were speaking to some of these passengers. He said that they were at the door turning away those that had flagrantly disregarded the dress code but for the sake of not having too much disruption they allowed some quests to go ahead and eat. He also told us that they are doing this because dressing properly, especially on formal nights is what Celebrity guests expect. We told him we were thrilled! I will say that the vast majority of men in the dining room not only were dressed properly BUT they were wearing tuxedos - which my DH always does! He owns 2 tuxedos and a white wool, dinner jacket. May I suggest that if this is important to you to PLEASE take a moment to write to Celebrity and express your feelings so that they know that their customers DO care about proper dress.

Have a GREAT cruise!

My DH and I agree with you 100%! And thank you for saying so. I do not believe that the battle is lost. On our last cruise, the maitre'd's were walking around during the first formal night dinner and talking to those that had not dressed properly, there were told that if they did not dress properly for the second formal night that they would not be permitted to dine. Now they did tell them that if they had not brought the proper clothing they would arrange for the same menu be available to them in their stateroom. We spoke with the maitre'd when he was in our area and expressed to him how pleased we were to see that they were speaking to some of these passengers. He said that they were at the door turning away those that had flagrantly disregarded the dress code but for the sake of not having too much disruption they allowed some quests to go ahead and eat. He also told us that they are doing this because dressing properly, especially on formal nights is what Celebrity guests expect. We told him we were thrilled! I will say that the vast majority of men in the dining room not only were dressed properly BUT they were wearing tuxedos - which my DH always does! He owns 2 tuxedos and a white wool, dinner jacket. May I suggest that if this is important to you to PLEASE take a moment to write to Celebrity and express your feelings so that they know that their customers DO care about proper dress.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Have you read this thread? It's not about formal night.

I just called and spoke to Julia at the Captain's Club and I was told they are not allowed in the evening.

You seem to have an "in" and certainly cruise Celebrity enough. Can you please ask them to clarify their dress code on their website? because right now it's clear as mud and this conversation is just going to happen over and over again. No one searches for "Jeans" they search for "dress code" and they look at their cruise documents, neither of which prohibit jeans.

of course it is the same thing!!

it is their ship - they get to make the rules -

if you do not like it - don't sail on their ship!

read the cruise contract - they get to do whatever they want! - because -

it is their ship!

just like if i come to your house and i act like a jerk - you get to throw me out - because - it is your house!! You get to make the rules in your house - they get to make the rules on - their ship.

paying or not paying has nothing to do with it - it all has to do with who gets to make the rules!

You can have your opinion and I have mine and being a paying guest does make a difference and in my opinion it is a suggested dress code and not rules. Your posts are quite rude with all of the large print in them. They mention all caps as not being allowed here but the very large fonts come off as shouting more than all caps do. Maybe you should read up on message board manners before posting these type of posts.

Celebrity is more subtle than that, and I was impressed with the signage and message. My takeaway is that the signage is there. It is backed up with the dailies that spell it out in private drill down terms for the dummies.

I attached a copy of the Celebrity Today from The Cruise Guys website from their recent cruise on Solstice. It is not spelled out but the same vague description that is on the website. This is the root of the problem. I think it is stated that way so that it can be interpreted in many ways (jeans or no jeans) so that they will appeal to a much larger demographic and increase their revenue. The way I would interpret that is that they would not prohibit jeans as they use the generic term pants instead of spelling it out in clearer terms. That is why I asked about a sign that supposedly said that jeans were not allowed. I looked up "pants" on dictionary.com and this is the definition -

trou⋅sers   /ˈtraʊzərz/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [trou-zerz] Show IPA

–noun (used with a plural verb) 1. Sometimes, trouser. Also called pants. a usually loose-fitting outer garment for the lower part of the body, having individual leg portions that reach typically to the ankle but sometimes to any of various other points from the upper leg down. Compare Bermuda shorts, breeches, knickers (def. 1), short (def. 29a), slacks.

No where does it state in the Celebrity Today that jeans are not allowed in the evening. It is at the lower right of the page along with a daily listing of formal or smart casual.

Celebrity Today Dress Code.pdf

The problem will always be the personal interpretation of "Smart Casual and Above".

The frequent Celebrity cruisers will remember the confusion and "discussions" of "Informal" and "casual" as distinct dress codes. Too many people interpret "Smart Casual" as "Casual." I don't know how argumentative one has to become to try to explain to the jeans and running shoes crowd that their choice is not "Smart Casual" even if it's not in print. Show me a Celebrity brochure of someone wearing jeans in the dining room. Show me where it says that "jeans" is synonymous with pants. You can't possibly expect the "Proper Dining Attire" statement to list every example of pants ever worn. Celebrity gives people enough credence to determine that "Smart Casual and above" excludes certain types of casual clothing. Those wearing jeans (should) know they need a couple of items to make them "smart casual wear". The jacket would offset the argument about saving luggage space.

http://www.casualpower.com/business_casual_tips/six_categories.html

The problem will always be the personal interpretation of "Smart Casual and Above".

Celebrity gives people enough credence to determine that "Smart Casual and above" excludes certain types of casual clothing.

My definition and yours are different, as I believe dress jeans can look as "smart" and sophisticated as Khakis. However, I respect your opinion, and realize we will never agree.

I believe Mysticks is right, that Celebrity took out "no jeans" so that they do not lose any cruisers due to a more restrictive dress code. These are tough times, and Celebrity wants every passenger it can get. If the new dress code upsets people, it is Celebrity that they should be upset with, and express their displeasure to. Based on the wording of the dress code, jeans are now okay with Celebrity. Perhaps if enough people put their energy into complaining to the right people, Celebrity will change it back, and include "no jeans".

I have sent a e-mail to head office!

Propper dressed...what is propper dressed, that is my question! Everybody feels differnt about how to dress propper!

If putting on a rented tux is your imagination of dressing propper and if you want to look like a waiter in his cheap Uniform go ahead!

There are people who can dress and can not!

I have been sailing for example on SeaDream, there is NO dress code at all...but everybody was polished to the maximum in excuisite outfits and I do not mean what you call formal wear on here.

Times of super formal are over, I still believe in 'Formal Nights" to wear dark suits, but then...just look smart, polished and clean!

The right Jeans, shirt and sports jacket can look more polished and elegant then most of the dress code recommodations you put on here and which are allowed in your eyes!

The frequent Celebrity cruisers will remember the confusion and "discussions" of "Informal" and "casual" as distinct dress codes. Too many people interpret "Smart Casual" as "Casual." I don't know how argumentative one has to become to try to explain to the jeans and running shoes crowd that their choice is not "Smart Casual" even if it's not in print. Show me a Celebrity brochure of someone wearing jeans in the dining room. Show me where it says that "jeans" is synonymous with pants. You can't possibly expect the "Proper Dining Attire" statement to list every example of pants ever worn. Celebrity gives people enough credence to determine that "Smart Casual and above" excludes certain types of casual clothing. Those wearing jeans (should) know they need a couple of items to make them "smart casual wear". The jacket would offset the argument about saving luggage space.

http://www.casualpower.com/business_casual_tips/six_categories.html

Denim (as I have stated before) used to be the material of choice for those who required a hard wearing fabric for rough working conditions in Nimes in France ( "de" being the French word for from)..the sort of patrons who bought items made from denim were farm labourers and the like who needed clothing that could withstand hard wear and tear on an everyday basis.

Suddenly it has become the material of choice for those who have been conned into believing denim fabric is "smart" and frankly the people who used to wear it for everyday purposes (as described above ) were the first to want to ditch it at the end of their day because it was a very heavy fabric, uncomfortable to wear , and associated with those who did "dirty" work which did not appeal to many when they actually had time away from work. They wanted to get away from what they had to wear every day for work purposes and dress in a more becoming and comfortable fabric in their leisure time.

Personally I would only see the one pair of jeans I own as gardening workwear/ nipping down to the supermarket sort of thing.. I would never associate this fabric whatever it was used for trousers, jackets etc etc , with being "smart wear " no matter if it was designed / sold by a worldwide top designer because it is a fabric invented specifically for "hardwork wear" not "dress " wear and does not fit with a "smart" image in my mind's eye.

My definition and yours are different, as I believe dress jeans can look as "smart" and sophisticated as Khakis. However, I respect your opinion, and realize we will never agree.

I believe Mysticks is right, that Celebrity took out "no jeans" so that they do not lose any cruisers due to a more restrictive dress code. These are tough times, and Celebrity wants every passenger it can get. If the new dress code upsets people, it is Celebrity that they should be upset with, and express their displeasure to. Based on the wording of the dress code, jeans are now okay with Celebrity. Perhaps if enough people put their energy into complaining to the right people, Celebrity will change it back, and include "no jeans".

I could understand the barking, but CASUAL nights...come on, there worst things going to be seen then Jeans! By the end Celebrity is super mass market and attracts people from all ends of the rainbow!

Denim (as I have stated before) used to be the material of choice for those who required a hard wearing fabric for rough working conditions in Nimes in France ( "de" being the French word for from)..the sort of patrons who bought items made from denim were farm labourers and the like who needed clothing that could withstand hard wear and tear on an everyday basis.

Suddenly it has become the material of choice for those who have been conned into believing denim fabric is "smart" and frankly the people who used to wear it for everyday purposes (as described above ) were the first to want to ditch it at the end of their day because it was a very heavy fabric, uncomfortable to wear , and associated with those who did "dirty" work which did not appeal to many when they actually had time away from work. They wanted to get away from what they had to wear every day for work purposes and dress in a more becoming and comfortable fabric in their leisure time.

Personally I would only see the one pair of jeans I own as gardening workwear/ nipping down to the supermarket sort of thing.. I would never associate this fabric whatever it was used for trousers, jackets etc etc , with being "smart wear " no matter if it was designed / sold by a worldwide top designer because it is a fabric invented specifically for "hardwork wear" not "dress " wear and does not fit with a "smart" image in my mind's eye.

Jeans are not work wear anymore...those times are over since a long time!

Lord forbid I would wear my Jeans to do yard work! Most of them cost more then a cruise...would not like to get them stained!

Lord forbid I would wear my Jeans to do yard work! Most of them cost more then a cruise...would not like to get them stained!

We really do live in a different world where a person would spend more than the cost of a cruise on jeans or any other pants, ripped or not. :eek:

Jeans are not work wear anymore...those times are over since a long time!

Depends on your outlook! I don't need to have expensive jeans in a workwear ( whether you believe it or not) fabric that cost more than a cruise to impress others.Do you wear them showing the price tag or how would we know how expensive they were?

Personally if I was considering buying jeans that cost that much I would probably have to consider whether I should donate that money to some other good cause where it might do someone some real good and my conscience would definitely feel a lot easier that way.

I attached a copy of the Celebrity Today from The Cruise Guys website from their recent cruise on Solstice. It is not spelled out but the same vague description that is on the website. This is the root of the problem. I think it is stated that way so that it can be interpreted in many ways (jeans or no jeans) so that they will appeal to a much larger demographic and increase their revenue. The way I would interpret that is that they would not prohibit jeans as they use the generic term pants instead of spelling it out in clearer terms. That is why I asked about a sign that supposedly said that jeans were not allowed. I looked up "pants" on dictionary.com and this is the definition -

trou⋅sers   /ˈtraʊzərz/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [trou-zerz] Show IPA

–noun (used with a plural verb) 1. Sometimes, trouser. Also called pants. a usually loose-fitting outer garment for the lower part of the body, having individual leg portions that reach typically to the ankle but sometimes to any of various other points from the upper leg down. Compare Bermuda shorts, breeches, knickers (def. 1), short (def. 29a), slacks.

No where does it state in the Celebrity Today that jeans are not allowed in the evening. It is at the lower right of the page along with a daily listing of formal or smart casual.

We should get some more recent dailies, I cruised Solstice at the end of March into April and I believe when The Guys sailed it was a different story. I did not keep my dailies to share, but perhaps there is some more current ones for Solstice that are available.

Have a GREAT cruise!

This is great news!Thank you for sharing this, it sounds like Celebrity is ensuring that the product is not further dimished.

Wow, this thread is a crack-up to read! I bet the original poster is having a field day reading these! It is amazing to see all the different opinions.

Well if you enjoy them you can find a new one every few days, same posters post same opinions over and over again.

On our NZ /Aussie cruise in Jan. there were a lot of folks from these 2 countries sailing with us. They don't "hold with" all the dress nonsense, and many showed up in less than Smart casual...wrinkled chino safari pants & Hawaiian Shirts. Celebrity was SO glad to actually have their bodies on board (was a greatly discounted cruise..except for US who paid full price) that little was ever said to any of them...and we all managed to enjoy the cruise.

Well if you enjoy them you can find a new one every few days' date=' same posters post same opinions over and over again.

On our NZ /Aussie cruise in Jan. there were a lot of folks from these 2 countries sailing with us. They don't "hold with" all the dress nonsense, and many showed up in less than Smart casual...wrinkled chino safari pants & Hawaiian Shirts. Celebrity was SO glad to actually have their bodies on board (was a greatly discounted cruise..except for US who paid full price) that little was ever said to any of them...and we all managed to enjoy the cruise.[/quote']

I see that too!:p...isn't NZ out of the queue now as well?

We should get some more recent dailies, I cruised Solstice at the end of March into April and I believe when The Guys sailed it was a different story. I did not keep my dailies to share, but perhaps there is some more current ones for Solstice that are available.

I have completed searches and didn't come up with anything other than those on Lee and Mike's website.

I have completed searches and didn't come up with anything other than those on Lee and Mike's website.

I wish I hung on to them but I have become less of a pack-rat these days. For us even if it were not printed we know how to behave when dinner means tablecloths and silver. Happily the price of the stock is up and steady and maybe the time has come to get out from under this idea that because the stock is down the less inclined guests are getting the upper hand. Some of us are still paying for the special experience. Thanks for looking.

Archived