Venice to Civitavecchia Train

Hi Italian Train Experts,

Can someone please tell me which train to take (on a Sunday) to get from Venice to Civitavecchia? Our ship doesn't leave until 8 p.m. and no other plans for the day. If there are nice stops along the way we may want to get off and enjoy it as long as we have time. We are not interested in going to Rome.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Hi Italian Train Experts,

Can someone please tell me which train to take (on a Sunday) to get from Venice to Civitavecchia? Our ship doesn't leave until 8 p.m. and no other plans for the day. If there are nice stops along the way we may want to get off and enjoy it as long as we have time. We are not interested in going to Rome.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

You have a couple of choices:

(a) Train to Roma Termini (via Bologna and Firenze), then train to Civitavecchia. This is the fastest way.

(b) Train to Firenze (via Bologna). Transfer to a train to Pisa. Transfer to a train to Civitavecchia. With transfer times, this will take you about 2½ hours longer. Pretty trip (minimal tunnels).

There are a couple other alternatives but they take way longer.

Check my train site (see sig line below).

The fastest routing is going to take 6 hours ... plus time to get from the train station to your ship. I would think that just getting to the ship in time for unpacking and dinner would be the thing to do.

You have a couple of choices:

(a) Train to Roma Termini (via Bologna and Firenze), then train to Civitavecchia. This is the fastest way.

(b) Train to Firenze (via Bologna). Transfer to a train to Pisa. Transfer to a train to Civitavecchia. With transfer times, this will take you about 2½ hours longer. Pretty trip (minimal tunnels).

There are a couple other alternatives but they take way longer.

Check my train site (see sig line below).

We did (b) in October 08. Left Venice Mestre about 6 am....we spent enough time in Pisa to take the bus to see the Tower. Then a lovely and leisurely ride down the coast to Civitavecchia.

We arrived in Civi. sometime between 3-3:30, as I recall. Plenty of time to board in a leisurely manner...no lines, easy check-in.

Thanks all,

The Bologna/Firenze to Pisa to Civi sounds like the perfect day for us.

I appreciate your helpfullness.

This will be our first Italian train trip and I am kind of worried about gettting luggage from hotel to train but I'll bet we'll figure it out!

Thanks again, we now have the best route!

• 1 year later...

Archived