I'm confused!

canjay95

I'm a little confused on the pricing with and without early saver and can't seem to get a straight answer from the travel agent. We are looking at doing the triumph from New Orleans next January with a group of friends. We didn't want to do early saver because of the non-refundable deposits in case something came up. We have three small children and you just never know. I know you can take advantage of price drops with early saver, but what about if I book non-early saver? If those prices drop, can I take advantage of that too or is it just for early saver people. My TA says yes you can but I've seen some people say that you can't. Can anyone answer this for me?

You still have a long way until Jan Early Saver is no longer offered. I would wait and just book early saver, I have 3 small kids too and I know what you mean, but at this point, I have to put my schedule ahead of theirs, I know it sounds snotty, but hubs and I have put ourselves last for the past 10 year, so if something comes up for the kids, then I'll have to make other arrangements for them, instead of putting my vacation on hold.

I'm a little confused on the pricing with and without early saver and can't seem to get a straight answer from the travel agent. We are looking at doing the triumph from New Orleans next January with a group of friends. We didn't want to do early saver because of the non-refundable deposits in case something came up. We have three small children and you just never know. I know you can take advantage of price drops with early saver, but what about if I book non-early saver? If those prices drop, can I take advantage of that too or is it just for early saver people. My TA says yes you can but I've seen some people say that you can't. Can anyone answer this for me?

Generally speaking, if the price goes down on your cruise before final payment, you can usually get the lower price. After final payment, no further reductions unless you have booked Early Saver.

You have to read the rules on the lower fares that come up real careful....many times, the lower rates specify "for new bookings only".. in which case you would not be eligible.

Find out what your travel agents policy is also. Many agents will charge an additional fee for getting a lower price for you.

Generally speaking' date=' if the price goes down on your cruise [u']before[/u] final payment, you can usually get the lower price. After final payment, no further reductions unless you have booked Early Saver.

additionally, if you book non-early-saver, after final payment you cannot get OBC for price drops, as noted, but you may be able to get an upgrade if they're available

Sorry, but have to add my $.02...if a price drops before final payment, you have the option of cancelling and rebooking, at which time it is a new booking. So, you will get the discount, even if its only on new bookings. After final payment it get's tricky.

And if a TA charges you to get you a better price, fire him/her immediately. I would never do such a thing. I make it a point to check prices for my clients every month or two, to be sure I am getting them the lowest possible price.

As far as your situation, there is no reason not to deposit a regular fare now...you have several months to convert it to an Early Saver, if your situation looks more favorable.

I haven't tried this, but some people have switched to Early Saver right before final payment/penalty date to ensure they can get OBC for any price drops.

It doesn't work out for everyone because Early Saver prices can increase - for example, I booked Early Saver in February, it's still available for my cruise, but is now $90 pp higher.

One other thing to consider is that many reasons for cancelling happen after final payment/penalty date. Losing $50 pp but being allowed to apply the balance of the deposit to another cruise if you have to cancel might be a better deal, especially if Early Saver saves $50+ pp.

I haven't tried this, but some people have switched to Early Saver right before final payment/penalty date to ensure they can get OBC for any price drops.

You have to book early saver 5 months prior for 6+ and 3 months 3-5 day cruises, so there is quite a gap between final payment(60-90 days) and the ES cut off date.

You have to book early saver 5 months prior for 6+ and 3 months 3-5 day cruises, so there is quite a gap between final payment(60-90 days) and the ES cut off date.

Yes, I'm sorry, I meant to say that people have switched to Early Saver before it was no longer available - thinking the right thing and typing something else.. blame my age lol

Archived