First time cruise - of course have some questions...

jandtb

My husband and I booked our first cruise.. somewhat last minute and now have some questions.

We're set to sail May 11 on NCL Sky to the Bahamas..

Your ship account - are you able to pay part of it off by cash and any remaining with credit? Or is it all credit?

Non-alcoholic drinks - can only 1 of us get a per day drink pass or do they require that each person in the room get the pass?

Alcoholic drinks - what is the average price for drinks?

Tipping - what is the norm? There is already the $12pp/day so is the rest as we see fit? If we chose to tip the steward per day, do we just leave it on the pillow (as we'd do for an all-inclusive vacation)? It's freestyle cruising so we come and go as we want so can we tip waiters, etc. as we want?

Excursions - we've booked through NCL to Atlantis - 2 1/2 hour tour and then when we are done we plan to walk around the area near the port afterwards. Any suggestions of what to do in Freeport, if anything, on own (and on a budget). Stirrup Cay - we intend to go to the beach.

Finally, the day we dock, we are headed to MIA - any advice as to the best/cheapest way to get there would be appreciated.

Thank you to everyone for their contributions.

Yes, you can 'pay down' your on board account thru the course of the cruise.

Soda-cards are per person, but um...some find themselevs buying only one.

Drink prices can vary, but figure $6-$8 ish. When there are daily specials, ask for the drink in a plain glass, not the sovenier one.

There are many NCL-specific tipping posts, but for the cabin steward - one payment in an enveloped on the last night is the norm. I can't say about FreeStyle waiters - most will simple have the expected tip auto-charged to the onboard account.

For excursions, see the Port Of Call section here at CC.

Taxis are usually plentiful and the best option for small parties.

I think you folks are really going to enjoy crusing. One suggestion I would like to make is to really consider doing your own thing as far as the Atlantis goes. We went to Nassau on the NCL Dawn 2 years ago - we also had the Atlantis excursion booked throught NCL. We docked that evening and there were tons of cabs right at the dock. We hopped in one right over to Paradise Island and the Atlantis (don't remember how much it cost but believe me it was waaaaay cheaper than NCL)The next day we did our NCL excursion and saw exactly the same stuff we did on our own the night before. Just a suggestion you really should check it out. But the whole crusing thing is great and NCL is a great into to cruising. Have a great time.:)

Your onboard account can be paid by cash or credit card or some of each. If you do not give a credit card when you checkin, they will want a deposit

Soda cards are for the individual. If only one of you drinks soda, there is no need for the other to get one.

Your ship account - are you able to pay part of it off by cash and any remaining with credit? Or is it all credit?

I think it's more convenient to at least open the account w/ a CC; then you don't have to guess how much you will spend or stand in line to get a refund if you put down too much. Get home, write a check to the CC company -- very convenient & just like cash w/o the hassle; you just pay for the stamp. You can also pay it off with cash right there onboard.

Non-alcoholic drinks - can only 1 of us get a per day drink pass or do they require that each person in the room get the pass?

It's unethical to share a pass. I drink Pepsi not the coke products they sell on board so I just bring a 12 pack; it's much cheaper.

Alcoholic drinks - what is the average price for drinks?

They do have specials. You can get a bit of deal if you buy a bucket of beer & there's a drink of the day. Prices are usually about what you'd pay at a nice place at home. Your cruise is not the cheapest place to drink.

Tipping - what is the norm? There is already the $12pp/day so is the rest as we see fit? If we chose to tip the steward per day, do we just leave it on the pillow (as we'd do for an all-inclusive vacation)? It's freestyle cruising so we come and go as we want so can we tip waiters, etc. as we want?

The $12 is already split between the people you mentioned. I would hand extra tips to people if you chose to reward them. When you buy a drink 18.5% is added to that bill.

Finally, the day we dock, we are headed to MIA - any advice as to the best/cheapest way to get there would be appreciated.

The best way to get to the port is a taxi for about $20. The cheapest way is a public bus but that's a bit of pain. You get off by the justice complex & walk one block to a tourist van for about $2-3 pp.

Archived