The Not-So-Mexican Splendor Cruise Review - April 26 - May 3

Host Anne

but really-if they allowed only those that wanted to get off then they could have spread the virus to those who didn't. Then you have a potential disaster that could have spread throughout the cruise ship-creating even greater legal liability issues.

I didn't want back on the ship! I wouldn't have spread nothing! I wanted to go home from there!

I didn't want back on the ship! I wouldn't have spread nothing! I wanted to go home from there!

If you travelled through Mexico to get home, then you could have picked up the flu and brought it home with you, whether by ship, plane or car, which is exactly what the CDC was trying to avoid.

I feel for all of you, not a great way to spend vacation:(

I'm going on May 17th and I'm getting a little more excited even though it seems like it might be a cold weather cruise. Your review is great!

How warm is the pool and pool area when it's covered? Is it like a regular indoor pool and pretty humid, or is it still really cold? Also, how crowded were the hot tubs (and pool) since the weather was cold? Could kids go in them without a problem? I'm assuming our kids will miss the splashzone and waterslide and hot tub might be all that's left.

Thanks!

By the way- I agree that you should have had more compensation. You all on that cruise really got the short end of the stick. I don't know why they couldn't at least comp the spa or something.

I went on "The Cruise to Nowhere" as well and I did go in the pools. The pool in the central section is warm and pleasant. The pool in the adult area at the back of the ship is freezing but after a few minutes you adjust and then it is good. The hot tubs are great, as is the thermal pool in the spa. There is a water slide and a kids fun zone that the kids enjoyed.

Enjoy your cruise!

First ~ thanks to everyone for their comments and for being civil here on the boards. I know many people were frustrated and disappointed. I can understand that. But I struggle when passengers are abusive to staff when the onboard staff had nothing to do with the decisions that were made. I want to say again that the wonderful Cruise Critic members we met and the wonderful Carnival crew made this a great time. It's ashame the cruise didn't work out like we all would have liked. We'll all just have to cruise together again sometime!

Next, to clarify, we were not given a $40 onboard credit. We were credited $40 per person for the port charges we paid as a part of our cruise fare. When we didn't visit the ports, Carnival returned those port fees. They were not technically an onboard credit like RCI passengers got since they were simply a return of fees we had already paid.

While this won't make anyone feel any better, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity act and make decisions completely independent of one another, even though Royal owns Celebrity. So it doesn't surprise me that Carnival and Princess operate the same way. We'll never know why or how they reached their decisions. I doubt the decisions were easy, especially for the crew on board who had to deal with them. So all the way around, it was a tough situation for us as passengers and the crew. Do write Carnival corporate and applaud the crew who did a great job under the circumstances and let them know what disappointed you. Be reasonable and honest. It gets you much futher.

Finally, Meredith, I never saw the guy with the Packers hat without it so I can't really describe him. He had the same Packers hat on every time I saw him. I don't think I would have known him without the hat! :) I would guess he was late 30s to early 40s.

Let's hope those on board this week are having a great time.

Hope to see all of you on another cruise soon!

How warm is the pool and pool area when it's covered? Is it like a regular indoor pool and pretty humid, or is it still really cold? Also, how crowded were the hot tubs (and pool) since the weather was cold? Could kids go in them without a problem? .

when the roof was closed, it was very warm in there, I never went in the pools, but I heard alot of folks say the water was cold....there is a bar in that area, it will be the last to close every night...usually arond 04:00-05:00.. I was there nearly every night and was never cold one time....lots of people hanging around there eating pizza also

So how much can one drink for free in 2 hours? .

simply put....a whole bunch!!! I gurantee you I saved a few hundred dollars during the 2 happy hours on the splendor....the service during our group party was much slower so I barely broke even there...I tipped the bartender $20...

So how much can one drink for free in 2 hours? I've got a good estimate for Host Randy. Still no actual proof Host Randy hasn't fallen off the ship!!! Strangely silent-hasn't made his appearance yet.

I know you don't do cell phones....but did the weather knock your landline out?.....I have mine and I live 10 minutes from you.:p

Great Review Anne..that was fair...yes we made lemonade and added things to it ;)....Disappointed we didn't make the ports?....sure.....Glad Carnival made the proper decision to skip?....Absolutely!....Did we have fun anyway?....Absolutely!......It's about being with fun people on a ship for me so it will rank up there as another fun cruise for me......but like I tell everyone...my friends and I could have fun watching the grass grow.:D

The Not-So-Mexican Riviera Cruise on Carnival Splendor

IN CLOSING

Regardless of the itinerary change, we still had a lot of fun with those we sailed with. We met a lot of nice people and wonderful crew. We ate well and laughed much! We are grateful for the experience. It’s definitely one we will remember.

HAPPY SAILING! :)

Anne, it sounds like you made the most of an unfortunate situation, but I would not have expected otherwise from you.:)

I have an in-law living in Santa Barbara who said that at least one ship stopped there. Any idea who that might have been?

I also appreciate your comments on the Queen Mary - I will have to check that one out. Again thanks for your review and your comments.

Archived