Need help with Flash for Canon

I will be heading out in less than 2 weeks for my Alaska cruise with my new (to me) Canon XTI. I am looking to get an external flash for the camera but I am trying to figure out what flash I should get.

I am very partial to brand loyalty IE looking to get a Canon flash but I am not sure which one.... Should I keep it simple and cheep Speedlite 220EX or should you I try "the new one" 270 EX or should I bite the bullet and spend a few extra bucks and go with the 430 EX II?

I would consider myself a amateur level photographer but I want to start taking great photos.... A majority of my picture taking will be outdorr but I want to be able to take some great pics as well... Thanks Brent

PS I need to decide fairly quickly!

I will be heading out in less than 2 weeks for my Alaska cruise with my new (to me) Canon XTI. I am looking to get an external flash for the camera but I am trying to figure out what flash I should get.

I am very partial to brand loyalty IE looking to get a Canon flash but I am not sure which one.... Should I keep it simple and cheep Speedlite 220EX or should you I try "the new one" 270 EX or should I bite the bullet and spend a few extra bucks and go with the 430 EX II?

I would consider myself a amateur level photographer but I want to start taking great photos.... A majority of my picture taking will be outdorr but I want to be able to take some great pics as well... Thanks Brent

PS I need to decide fairly quickly!

I would pop the extra few bucks for the 430EX. it allows you to swivel the head and bounce the flash off of a ceiling, wall or reflector like the Lumiquest series or a Gary Fong Lightsphere. Indirect flask lighting is almost always better that a direct flash. Later, if you want to expand your options it will also work in wireless mode (with Canon's STE2 transmitter). I have has a lot of fun using my Sony with a pair of flashes for a simple wireless studio setup.

Ceiling bounce:

medium.jpg

Wall bounce:

medium.jpg

Two flashes, wireless with small umbrellas:

medium.jpg

Direct flash outdoors for fill:

medium.jpg

I probably take 95% of my shots without flash but when I need it, a good flash can be an indispensible tool.

Dave

I would not spend my money on the 220 or 270 models. There is just not enough benefit above the built-in flash to justify the money. Also, I am not sure if your Xti will work with the 270. It may need a firmware update (available free through the Canon website) to be able to use all the 270's features.

I have the older version 430EX and it works very well so I assume the newer II version is even faster cycling, sexier and with a lemony fresh scent. The tilting and swiveling head is probably the feature I like the most. I find a flash that only shoots forward to be very limiting. The biggest thing I do not like about the 430 is that it will only slave off a 580 or ST transmitter. For such a nice flash does not have a manual slave mode so you cannot slave off the flash built into your Xti.

I forgot to mention that either the 430 or 580 work very well in automatic mode so they are perfect (except for the price) for a novice. If you are ever unsure just let the camera and flash do the thinking and everything will be OK. As you build confidence you can start using some of it's other more manual features.

--

If you do get the 430 or 580 flash be a bit carefull when playing around with it. Either one is MUCH more powerfull than your onboard flash. If you are playing around with your new flash at full power (you will probably have to have it in manual mode to get it to fire full force) it will make you see spots and will make anyone else in the room rather angry.

I had the same dilemma a few months ago, and decided to go all the way with the 580EXII. I am glad I did. There is a lot of power and flexibility in that flash (yep, you could have people not happy with you with the power.) I have found the learning curve is pretty steep but learned that when in doubt, simply put it on auto and let it do its thing. Lights up a pretty big room.

original.jpg

Larry

Well at the risk of the wrath of wife I just bite the bullet and spend $$$ and took all of your advice and bought the 430EX II. Thankfully Canon has a $30 rebate going right now so I did save a few bucks... (Hey maybe I can use a woman's logic of "But honey I saved money, it was on sale" on her)... Thank you all for the advice!!!!

Archived