Naples Archaeological museum trip

darienill

If you google map the do directions, walking, you will see the area and you will get an idea that the walk could be about 30 minutes from the pier area depends on where the ship docks. Not sure about the neighborhood in that area though. Doesn't look far for a taxi

We went to the Pompeii museum in Naples, which we travelled to by bus. There was no cost to ride the bus, as the driver did not ask for money. The exhibits were very interesting, but we are unsure if it is the archeological museum to which you refer.

The key to bus riding we discovered is to catch the return bus ACROSS THE STREET. We were somewhat stupid in this regard and simply got on the next bus going in the same direction from whence we came. Big mistake!! We rode for an hour traveling every neighborhood in Naples before finally getting back to our starting point near the port. Oh well, live and learn. The return was free also btw.:confused:

Ed & Jean

that sounds like the Museum I'm talking about. It's where they have the Pompeii artifacts. It appears to only be about a mile or maybe two and I found bus directions on a web site plus a google map.

Thanks everybody.

Felix

We went there on a land tour not a cruise one, but there is so much to see that I would recommend taking a taxi and getting there as soon as possible, saving time and energy! It's not far and the taxi fare isn't a lot.

We enjoyed this museum very much. Be forewarned though -- unless something has changed since 2004, there is no air conditioning. We were there during that awful heat wave in Europe, and it was sweltering in there. It was extremely uncomfortable, but I still enjoyed the incredible exhibits.

we're going in October and I was planning to cab it there and maybe walk back depending on time etc. Maybe see the Cappella Sansevero (Chapel) along the way. Have some authentic Naples pizza for lunch.

Felix

Online stuff.

National Archeological Museum of Naples - Museo Archeologico ****onale di Napoli

Closest underground station - Piazza Cavour. No parking available.

Hours: Wednesdays - Mondays, 9:00 am until 8:00 pm (last entrance 7:00 pm), closed Tuesday

Information: web site, Tel. 0039.081.440166

Admission: price was 6.5 euro, as of May 2008. Reductions for under 25 or over 65.

Cumulative ticket (valid for 3 days) includes the museum and Campi Flegrei archeology sites and museums.

Save on admission with the Campania Artecard - includes free admission for the first two uses and 50% on further uses and public transportation use. Cards are available for 3, 7, or 365 days. It can be bought ahead or right at the museum.

Archived